Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 1686

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

  1. #251
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,001
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by Big Red
    It is my favorite beer zman.
    Amstel has more of a full body and malty flavour than Amstel Light. Which admittedly, is not the aforementioned "swill" but certainly can't compare to Amstel.
    I have never seen it sold here in the states.

    Stella Artois is a good "light" beer that might be available locally.

    I don't get it. If a person were woried about calories why would they drink beer at all?
    We have Stella Atois here in Colo. but I have never tried it.

    I think the affinity with light beer, or at least my affinity, is not the fact that it has fewer calories, it is that sometimes you just want something lighter. Here in Colo., we have some mighty tasty microbrews, but as we established in college, if you are drinking a lot of beer (say for a Broncos game, or friday night partying) then a light beer won't fill you up as much. Plus in the summer if I am working outside, and thirsty after a good day's work, a quick chug of Coors Light hits the spot.

    DISCLAIMER: I do like a ton of different beers though, but yes, I do like light beer too, but certain kinds only.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  2. #252
    Cyburbian Big Red's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    out standing in my field
    Posts
    114
    I hear ya man. I take constant abuse for drinking such "light" beer while people toss back micro-brews and pass out at 9pm.
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

  3. #253
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,001
    Blog entries
    2
    Last night I was in the mood for something different. I actually bought six packs, one of Rolling Rock (which is a staple for me) and one Labatt Blue. As far as Canadian beer, I am typically a Molson drinker, and I'll have Kokannee when I am in BC, but Labatt is fairly decent for eating pizza and watching hoops.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  4. #254
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,550
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Last night I was in the mood for something different. I actually bought six packs, one of Rolling Rock (which is a staple for me) and one Labatt Blue. As far as Canadian beer, I am typically a Molson drinker, and I'll have Kokannee when I am in BC, but Labatt is fairly decent for eating pizza and watching hoops.
    I did the beer pizza thing last night too. Made the mistake of drinking a Guiness/Bass Ale black & tan with a Papa John's thin crust pizza. Unfortunately, the b & t overwhelmed the flavor of the pizza and ultimately detracted from the experience. The beer was great, though....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  5. #255
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    As far as Canadian beer, I am typically a Molson drinker, and I'll have Kokannee when I am in BC, but Labatt is fairly decent for eating pizza and watching hoops.
    Just wait until you actually try a GOOD Canadian beer!

  6. #256
    Cyburbian PlannerByDay's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the bike lane
    Posts
    1,827
    I did beer and pizza to last night but my pizza was homemade.

    Jiffy pizza crust
    Pesto and olive oil sauce
    Chicken with liquid smoke for flavor
    sundried tomatos
    artichokes
    and Sargento Bistro Style cheese

    YUMMY

    and I washed it down with a couple of Bell's Best Browns I had laying around.

  7. #257
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,001
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Just wait until you actually try a GOOD Canadian beer!
    Like what??
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  8. #258
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Like what??
    Anything NOT made by Molsons or Labatts

    You should be able to get Moosehead out there at least. Not sure what microbrews would make it out your way - should be a few from Western Canada.

    I did the pizza and beer thing on Sunday - homemade pizza (including crust) with soy sausage, mushrooms, tomato sauce, goat cheese mozzarella and cheddar. Washed down with Amsterdam Brewing Co. Blonde lager. Mmm Mmm.

  9. #259
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,001
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Anything NOT made by Molsons or Labatts

    You should be able to get Moosehead out there at least. Not sure what microbrews would make it out your way - should be a few from Western Canada.

    I did the pizza and beer thing on Sunday - homemade pizza (including crust) with soy sausage, mushrooms, tomato sauce, goat cheese mozzarella and cheddar. Washed down with Amsterdam Brewing Co. Blonde lager. Mmm Mmm.

    I LOVE Moosehead, but wanted to try something different. I don't think we get too many Micros from the GWN down here, as Colorado is saturated with our own brews (which can be mighty tasty)

    I remembered some micros from Canada when I was in Vancouver, but cannot remember the names (or much else from that trip )

    But I do like Molson Canadian (especially the stuff sold up there, not down here)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  10. #260
    Cyburbian Big Red's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    out standing in my field
    Posts
    114
    Kokannee

    Yikes! I always drink the local beer.
    That said.
    I don't drink Kokannee anymore when I'm in BC.
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

  11. #261
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,519
    St. Patrick's Day facts from the US Census -

    The Celebration
    22
    The number of gallons of beer consumed per capita by Americans annually. On St. Patrick’s Day, some drinking establishments offer green-dyed beer to their thirsty patrons. See Table 201, Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2004-2005
    <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical-abstract-04.html>

    376
    Number of breweries in 2002, down from 529 in 1997. These figures do not count microbreweries or brewpubs that serve customers on the premises. The nation’s breweries are the source for the domestic beer that is often an integral part of St. Patty’s Day celebrations. While California had the highest number of breweries (55), Colorado had the largest number of brewery employees, with more than 5,000.
    <http://www.census.gov/prod/ec02/ec0231i312120.pdf>
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  12. #262

    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At Silly Mid-Off
    Posts
    517
    Had a few Pilsner Urquells last night. One of my favourite Czech beers

    Incidentally I'm going to Poland in a week or so. Anyone know of any good Polish beers?

  13. #263
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,519
    Wis. Tavern Industry Event Prompts Probe

    Headline and story from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  14. #264
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Wis. Tavern Industry Event Prompts Probe

    Headline and story from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines
    An end to all-you-can-drink specials????!!!!!! They can't DO that!! Can they???
    In Wisconsin, where the beer flows more plentiful than milk and honey, $5 is a lot for an all-you-can-drink special - those politicians were robbed!
    Although, they should know better than to drive home after drinking - that's what God made cabs for. Although....if Peg Lautenschlager can do it (Wisconsin's Atty General), then why shouldn't they try. SHE didn't lose her job...so they probably won't either.

  15. #265
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,550
    Great Moments in world history:

    April 19, in the year of our Lord 2005 at 6:00 p.m. EDT. Maister finally discovers the Perfect Beer/Food Combo.....Willi's Oktoberfest sausage (purchased from Frankenmuth, MI!) and a chunk of Edam cheese was consumed in combination with a 12 oz. Warsteiner dark. The resultant electro-chemical impulses transmitted to the brain's pleasure center disrupted all television and radio broadcast signals in a 150 mile radius.

    Warning. Do not attempt this at home.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  16. #266

    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At Silly Mid-Off
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Great Moments in world history:

    April 19, in the year of our Lord 2005 at 6:00 p.m. EDT. Maister finally discovers the Perfect Beer/Food Combo.....Willi's Oktoberfest sausage (purchased from Frankenmuth, MI!) and a chunk of Edam cheese was consumed in combination with a 12 oz. Warsteiner dark. The resultant electro-chemical impulses transmitted to the brain's pleasure center disrupted all television and radio broadcast signals in a 150 mile radius.

    Warning. Do not attempt this at home.
    All sounds very Germanic to me, Maister. Was this in honour of the new Pope?

    I had a Warsteiner myself last night, although it was a light one. Had some good Polish beers the other weekend; my particular favourite was one called 'Okochim'. I nicknamed this one 'JayJay' (unfortunately only those with knowledge of Bolton Wanderers Football Club will get this rather lame joke).

  17. #267
    Cyburbian boiker's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    West Valley, AZ
    Posts
    3,894
    I've been hearing (and saw at the store) of a new beer (new to the market here) of German decent called "Bittberger"? or something like that.

    Anyone sample the creation?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

  18. #268
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,550
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    All sounds very Germanic to me, Maister. Was this in honour of the new Pope?

    I had a Warsteiner myself last night, although it was a light one. Had some good Polish beers the other weekend; my particular favourite was one called 'Okochim'. I nicknamed this one 'JayJay' (unfortunately only those with knowledge of Bolton Wanderers Football Club will get this rather lame joke).
    Yeah, I was, uh, thinking about the new Pope. That's it. You know I always get pensive when thinking about papal elections and generally need a good Kraut beer to help honour German Catholics.

    I've only sampled a couple Polish beers in my lifetime and I didn't give either of them very high marks. One was Krakus and the other was a wheat beer called Piwo Grodziskie (mind you, this was years ago, my tastes may have changed). Did you sample any local pub brews while in Gdansk (or wherever it was you went)?

    And I gotta believe 99 out of 100 Americans would make the connection between a certain former Nigerian midfielder's last name and the Polish beer.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  19. #269
    Cyburbian PlannerByDay's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the bike lane
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Great Moments in world history:

    The resultant electro-chemical impulses transmitted to the brain's pleasure center disrupted all television and radio broadcast signals in a 150 mile radius.
    Well that explains what the flicker was last night when I was trying to watch the evening news.

  20. #270
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,550
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I've been hearing (and saw at the store) of a new beer (new to the market here) of German decent called "Bittberger"? or something like that.

    Anyone sample the creation?
    Yeah, I've had Bittberger a few times. 'Decent' is a fair characterization IMO. Maybe someone that speaks German could explain the local joke related to the slogan "bitte ein bitten" (or something like that)?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  21. #271

    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At Silly Mid-Off
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I've only sampled a couple Polish beers in my lifetime and I didn't give either of them very high marks. One was Krakus and the other was a wheat beer called Piwo Grodziskie (mind you, this was years ago, my tastes may have changed). Did you sample any local pub brews while in Gdansk (or wherever it was you went)?
    Went to Krakow. Very beautiful, highly recommended. Apart from Okochim, had one other national brew which I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Also had a nice beer in a brew-pub type place; they served it in 3.5 litre 'pipes' which were set on your table with its own tap. You could then help yourself as you went along. Fantastic

    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    And I gotta believe 99 out of 100 Americans would make the connection between a certain former Nigerian midfielder's last name and the Polish beer.
    That's what I thought - I'm glad the joke wasn't wasted. What nationality is he now then?

    Bittberger is quite nice, if I remember rightly- tastes fairly similar to other German beers, such as Becks.
    Last edited by noj; 21 Apr 2005 at 3:50 AM. Reason: Remembered about Bittberger

  22. #272
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,001
    Blog entries
    2
    Can't beat a cold Heineken after a tough neighborhood meeting.

    Heineken is one of my favorite mass produced beers, I also like Coors (I know, I know), and Molson is okay, but it is better in Canada.

    We always point out micros on this thread, but what about macros. What is your favorite mass produced beer?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  23. #273
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    We always point out micros on this thread, but what about macros. What is your favorite mass produced beer?
    I like Miller Genuine Draft but I never buy it, I just drink my brother's (it's his house beer).

    Guiness and Corona, as well as many UK (Tennant's, Tetley, Boddingtons) also find their way down my throat with regularity.

  24. #274
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I like Miller Genuine Draft but I never buy it, I just drink my brother's (it's his house beer).

    Guiness and Corona, as well as many UK (Tennant's, Tetley, Boddingtons) also find their way down my throat with regularity.
    I'm with Tranplanner - I think Miller Genuine Draft is my favorite macro, too. I never buy it unless it is on "wristband special" at a bar.
    Is Leinie's considered a macro?

  25. #275
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,001
    Blog entries
    2
    I had a friend in college who would only drink MGD. It is okay, but I'm right in between the Coors brewing and a satellite Budweiser plant, so both of those are mainly promoted here. Plus I used to steal Coors from my Dad's fridge back in high school so that has been engrained in me for a long time.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 02 Jul 2011, 9:24 PM
  4. The TEMPORARY Beer Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Nov 2008, 10:39 AM
  5. The Termporary Beer Thread [Temp 2]
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 48
    Last post: 29 Jan 2005, 12:26 AM