Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Molson Canadian! Yummers!

Does Rolling Rock count?

Registered
    Mar 2005

Beer thread

Here in Buffalo, Yuengling is becoming very popular, store bought and pub pours.
    My favorite beer all time are varieties from the Ayinger brewery near Munich Germany. It is bottled and shipped here.
    The Molson and Labatt's sold in the Buffalo area is brewed in Ontario? I wasn't aware they'd licensed them and brew it state-side?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by clare2582
    Does Rolling Rock count?
    Hell yes, Rollers count. I can't believe I missed them. Count Rolling Rocks on my list.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005

Boddington's!!!!

I hear your accent growing stronger! I can take down a four pack of Biddington's in one sitting it that good!

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I like Miller Genuine Draft but I never buy it, I just drink my brother's (it's his house beer).

Guiness and Corona, as well as many UK (Tennant's, Tetley, Boddingtons) also find their way down my throat with regularity.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Efes in Turkey is good. Comes in a bottle similar to Red Stripe. Here at home, I love Stella when there's cash in my wallet (rarely), but you just can't beat a good PBR. And at $5.99 a 12-pack (in bottles, no less!), who could blame me?

Celebrating 4/20 yesterday, several of us got together for a impromtu party. Someone brought a "Danish" beer they picked up at Aldi's (the cheapest grocer on the planet) called Klassiek. Horrific, even when you're drunk and spirits have been "lifted". If you ever see this in someone's fridge, do an intervention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails klassiek.jpg  

Registered
    Mar 2005

Klassiek - Thats' funny!

Iv'e had Klassiek from Aldi too. It was piss water! PS- Aldi also has a Corona knock-off you should avoid at all costs!

QUOTE=Pride of Place]Efes in Turkey is good. Comes in a bottle similar to Red Stripe. Here at home, I love Stella when there's cash in my wallet (rarely), but you just can't beat a good PBR. And at $5.99 a 12-pack (in bottles, no less!), who could blame me?

Celebrating 4/20 yesterday, several of us got together for a impromtu party. Someone brought a "Danish" beer they picked up at Aldi's (the cheapest grocer on the planet) called Klassiek. Horrific, even when you're drunk and spirits have been "lifted".[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have a few Sam Adams Cherry Wheats yesterday.

Tonight will be Bilbo's Dragon Red!
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    We always point out micros on this thread, but what about macros. What is your favorite mass produced beer?
    We do give a lot of attention to micros. I think it's because there's a better chance that we already know what a macro brand is about (or at least that assumption is made). That said, I for one don't dislike macro brews just because they are macros. Micros just tend have more flavor and most afficionados will gravitate towards that quality. There are some world class yummy macro-brews out there.
    Some of my faves:
    Grolsch
    Moosehead
    Warsteiner (Germany largest selling beer)
    Becks
    St. Pauli Girl
    Fosters
    Heineken

Yes, they are all lager style beers (that's what macros are about), but there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with that particular style of beer.

What we should get going is a 'what's your favorite brand of cheap arse macro p*ss water' sub-thread. My vote would go with either Blatz or Black Label, narrowly beating out competition from Goebels
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    What we should get going is a 'what's your favorite brand of cheap arse macro p*ss water' sub-thread. My vote would go with either Blatz or Black Label, narrowly beating out competition from Goebels

Favorite brand of cheap arse?

Hamms (from the land of sky blue waters)
    My friends band played a joint in Fort Collins, Colo. a couple times. They always have the expensive beers and micros on tap (New Belgium brewing only a couple blocks away), but they also sold cans of Hamm's for a buck each. We closed the place one night drinking Hamm's and BSing for hours. I think it is a great tasting cheap beer.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2004

"It's The Water"

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I've only had it once, I forget where it's brewed and I'm not sure where it's available (if it's still available), but I must say my favorite CAMPW would be Olympia.

It's slogan is (or was, if now defunct), "It's the water."

After one sip, you'll realize the marketing group made a typo and added "the" to the slogan.

Cheers
    Drink long and prosper

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Favorite brand of cheap arse?

Hamms (from the land of sky blue waters)
    My friends band played a joint in Fort Collins, Colo. a couple times. They always have the expensive beers and micros on tap (New Belgium brewing only a couple blocks away), but they also sold cans of Hamm's for a buck each. We closed the place one night drinking Hamm's and BSing for hours. I think it is a great tasting cheap beer.
    I used to love the animated commercials with the animals they had back in the late 70s/early 80s. I didn't read the entire post. Has anyone ever had National Bohemian (Natty Boh)? It used to be a staple in bars, restraurants and homes in Baltimore back in the day. It's trying to make a comeback. Natty Boh's logo looks like a distant cousin of the Pringles dude.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Should Beer, Wine Drinkers Pray for Rain?

Headline and Article from the AP Wire.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Highlight:
    YAKIMA, Wash. -- "Could beer guzzlers and wine aficionados suffer a drought of their own if the Pacific Northwest doesn't see rain soon?

The region is the nation's largest producer of hops, a key ingredient in beer, and Washington state and Oregon are among the top five states producing wine. But the Pacific Northwest is enduring what water managers say is its worst drought since 1977."
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    [QUOTE=noj]Went to Krakow. Very beautiful, highly recommended. Apart from Okochim, had one other national brew which I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Also had a nice beer in a brew-pub type place; they served it in 3.5 litre 'pipes' which were set on your table with its own tap. You could then help yourself as you went along. Fantastic

I was in Tallinn in Estonia (ex-communist state nestling into the buttocks of Russia, now whole heartedly taking the tourist euro) and while bumbling about the old town came across several "ye olde taverne" kind of places. Normally these should be avoided like the plague, but inside i came across a mead or ale made with all of the usual wonderful ingredients but with the added touch of generous dollops of honey. The result, naturally sweet beer. the taste of the honey wasnt enough to overpower the ale, but by god was it gorgeous. And only about Euro 1.60 (2 dollars) for a very large glass. I am proud to say I imbibed several. It had no name (the beer), but all the pubs in the town sell it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I have 10 Hops vines growing right now. Most are already about 4 ft. long.
    Yesterday a neighbor who hasn't spoken to me since he moved in asked me what they were.

"Hops."

"Oh, Hops huh? Gonna make your own beer with them?"

"No, they're just for decoration."

"Oh..."

...Pause....

"Honestly dude, I'd love to, I just don't think I'll really have enough reasonable production to make even one batch.... Want a beer?"

"Yeah!"

Beer, bringing your community together.
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is a sad day in Ontario micro brewing. One of the first micros to brew good beer consistently has been bought by Molson's.

Creemore just won't taste the same anymore. I wonder what it is going to do to the little town that has benefited from the owners commitment to the community and employs quite a few people in an environment without a whole lotta jobs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Y&refer=canada

http://web.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My nickname for beer is "liquid fermented horse feed". So if Mr. SC wants me to pick him up a six pack on the way home from work, he uses this term.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    It is a sad day in Ontario micro brewing. One of the first micros to brew good beer consistently has been bought by Molson's.
    You beat me to posting this one. Yup, guess I have drunk my last glass of Creemore...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Sorry about the micro buy out, boys, it seems Molson has done it again. Although I cannot share the pain, not having had Creemore, bu if the discriminating tastes of the Donker and Tranny areany indication, a good brew will be missed.

On a second note, I bought a six of Red Hook Blonde Ale yesterday and it was the best beer purchase this planner has made in quite a while. Flavorful, light, and refreshing, this beer went well with pasta last night.

-Peart

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Sorry about the micro buy out, boys, it seems Molson has done it again. Although I cannot share the pain, not having had Creemore, bu if the discriminating tastes of the Donker and Tranny areany indication, a good brew will be missed.
    Considering I like labbatt 50 and crave a shlitz blue bull every once in awhile, I don't know if my taste buds are the best indicators of good beer. I just have lots of fond memories related to creemore beer and how good it tastes.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This is a never-ending beer thread, but I just finished my "100 Days Since BMSCT" and had some beer. So those 100 days without a brewski certainly seemed "never ending".....

We have been to Loma Linda's (Katie has to have her margos) and they do not have Rolling Rock. I had a couple Buds. That was Saturday night.

On Friday night we went to Frogtown's and I had a couple Rolling Rocks. I couldn't finish the second one (1).....still nursing myself back to normal health.

As you all know, Rolling Rock is my fave.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    This is a never-ending beer thread, but I just finished my "100 Days Since BMSCT" and had some beer. So those 100 days without a brewski certainly seemed "never ending".....

We have been to Loma Linda's (Katie has to have her margos) and they do not have Rolling Rock. I had a couple Buds. That was Saturday night.

On Friday night we went to Frogtown's and I had a couple Rolling Rocks. I couldn't finish the second one (1).....still nursing myself back to normal health.

As you all know, Rolling Rock is my fave.

Bear
    The best beer I had in my life was probably a tepid can of Rhinelander. No, not quality beer, but like you it was the first beer I had been able to drink since boot camp (about 100 days too). I fantasized about that beer many a long hot day in anticipation of cracking it open.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Little Giant
    Print subtitle: YUENGLING has rolled out the barrel for six generations

By Toby Cecchini; Published: May 1, 2005; NY Times Style Magazine
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/01/st...tml?oref=login
    Requires Registration

Highlight from 1st Paragraph:
    "In the beer world, the humble brew has always enjoyed lucrative cachet.
    But the latest downmarket darling, suddenly asked for everywhere -- from underground parties to serious brew pubs -- also happens to be America's oldest: with no advertising and a broken-nose work ethic,
    Yuengling is taking its place as a small-town survivor.
    "
    Oddball

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I drank a Stag last (no not a deer) It was the first beer I tried about 21 years ago when we snuck some from a buddies parents. At the time I rembered it tasted strong, almost too much for me. Last night it tasted like cold water.

I am not sure that this is a positive thinh
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Apr 2002

Beer and Cheese

A friend sent me the menu below describing a beer and cheese fest, where various brews were matched with cheeses that were to compliment their flavors. I missed the event, but want to recreate it on my own. Thought some of you would enjoy!

Thanks to everyone who was able to participate on Friday. There will be more events coming up, so hopefully we'll catch the rest of you at the next one.

As promised, here are the tasting notes for the beers and cheeses we tried:

Duvel was the only true Belgian of the bunch and the first one we tried - golden, strong and very carbonated. It was paired with the hands-down favorite cheese, Zamorano. Zamorano is a semi-hard Spanish cheese that is somewhat tangy and salty.

Hennepin Saison was the farmer's beer that had orange peel and ginger added to it. It was also golden in color and went with the spicy cheese - a red pepper flaked Rustico from Italy. Hennepin also goes well with Thai food, which brings out the ginger.

Ommegang was the burgundian ale that was deep red in color and had some cocoa and sweetness to it. It was paired with the Chimay Grand Cru cheese from Belgium. This particular cheese is washed in Chimay beer and has a strong smoky flavor.

Finally, the Three Philosophers was the darkest and also a quadrupel - brewed four times. It has a touch of cherry lambic in it which gives it a distinct chocolate and cherry taste. It was paired with the strong and sweet King Island Blue cheese, from the US.

These beers can be found at various stores in town including Green's on Ponce. The cheeses came from the specialty department at Whole Foods.
    >

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Cinco de mayo
    Mexican beer means more than king Corona

Headline and Article from the Indy Star:
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...505040310/1007

Highlight:
    "Corona
    What it's like: A light lager (and the blandest of these four).
    Try it with: A bunch of pals out to par-tay.

Negra Modelo
    What it's like: A dark, smooth, slightly more malty Vienna-style lager.
    Try it with: Anything spicy.

Modelo Especial
    What it's like: A Pilsner lager that's more full-bodied than Corona.
    Try it with: Whatever you'd drink Bud Light with.

Tecate
    What it's like: A sharper, stronger lager.
    Try it with: A grilled steak or fajitas."
    Oddball

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club