Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I used to love the animated commercials with the animals they had back in the late 70s/early 80s. I didn't read the entire post. Has anyone ever had National Bohemian (Natty Boh)? It used to be a staple in bars, restraurants and homes in Baltimore back in the day. It's trying to make a comeback. Natty Boh's logo looks like a distant cousin of the Pringles dude.
    You are so right about their logos. They both look Italian. Natty Boh is the ultimate non-pretentious beer. I would never drink it at home by myself or even over dinner with a couple friends but at a bar, especially seeing live music, it just adds a certain swashbuckling mischieviousness to the evening. It will give you a headache, but the beer and the word bohemian, just seem to go together so well.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Dec 2004
    On Saturday discovered that Tesco's (the biggest supermarket chain over here) has started selling 'Super Bock'. Super Bock is the beer of northern Portugal and its very nice. Quite strong (5.5%), but doesn't taste it.

It brings back memories of a great holiday in Oporto when I was 18. After a night of drinking Bocks I found myself talking to a Portuguese girl who spoke better English than I did .

She also battered me at Darts.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    On Saturday discovered that Tesco's (the biggest supermarket chain over here) has started selling 'Super Bock'. Super Bock is the beer of northern Portugal and its very nice. Quite strong (5.5%), but doesn't taste it.

It brings back memories of a great holiday in Oporto when I was 18. After a night of drinking Bocks I found myself talking to a Portuguese girl who spoke better English than I did .

She also battered me at Darts.
    Off-topic:
    Seriously OT, but doesnt it seem like folks living in Europe can't help but sound cosmopolitan?....'oh this weekend we went to Paris and had croissants in front of Notre Dame cathedral'.....I dunno, I realize travelling to foreign countries is comparable distance-wise to us yanks travelling to different states, but it just doesn't carry the same connotation saying 'I spent the weekend in Germany drinking Bittberger' as it does to say 'I spent the weekend in Kentucky drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon'.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Off-topic:
    Seriously OT, but doesnt it seem like folks living in Europe can't help but sound cosmopolitan?....'oh this weekend we went to Paris and had croissants in front of Notre Dame cathedral'.....I dunno, I realize travelling to foreign countries is comparable distance-wise to us yanks travelling to different states, but it just doesn't carry the same connotation saying 'I spent the weekend in Germany drinking Bittberger' as it does to say 'I spent the weekend in Kentucky drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon'.
    How true... how true...

So I tried some Red Hook Blondes a couple weeks ago and fell in love. Problem is, I cannot find them up here, and will have to drive the hour into Denver and buy them... time to stock up and visit Bill's Sports Collectables while I am there....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I had a few KLB Raspberry Wheats at the T.O. laefest, just to make JNL jealous!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Speaking of JNL we should get her opinion on Steinlager - should it be the National Beverage?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Man Claims Firing Over Drinking Wrong Beer

Headline and Article off the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Highlight:
    MILLIKEN, Colo. -- A former supervisor at a Budweiser distributorship says he was fired for drinking a Coors beer in public.

...no right to tell him what kind of beer to drink when he is off-duty
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Holy CRAP JNA! And to think I'm about to move back to Weld County.

I should check the papers here, that was right in my backyard.

Better watch what I drink...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Man Claims Firing Over Drinking Wrong Beer

Headline and Article off the AP Wire:

Highlight:
    Wow... that is wrong on so many levels. It would the same as many of us getting fired for living in a different town.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Wow... that is wrong on so many levels. It would the same as many of us getting fired for living in a different town.

Not much goes on around here MSkis...

-Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Well... it worked!

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Speaking of JNL we should get her opinion on Steinlager - should it be the National Beverage?
    No one drinks that stuff! It's probably okay but there are plenty of other kinds I'd rather drink. I don't know any Steinlager drinkers. Weird huh, how it gets marketed as our favourite beer?!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL

No one drinks that stuff! It's probably okay but there are plenty of other kinds I'd rather drink. I don't know any Steinlager drinkers. Weird huh, how it gets marketed as our favourite beer?!
    Much like Budwiser is the "King of Beers" and "America's Finest Lager"...

Anyone know where I can pick up some Blue Berry Beer in the Mid West?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Well... it worked!

I heard the same thing goes for Foster's drinkers (or lack thereof) in Australia. Yet all the commercials in the states show Australians drinking it... hmmm weird. And actually the Foster's "Australian for beer" Lager we buy in the states is actually brewed in Canada....

-Peart

Registered
    Jun 2003
    More Tax on Beer Causes Concern in Ohio

Headline from and Article from the AP Wire:

Highlight:
    "... if the Legislature decides to double the beer tax to help ease the state's money crunch."

According to a restuarant owner "In my eyes, that sort of taxation amounts to
    almost persecution."

More and more states are considering higher alcohol taxes after years of raising cigarette rates.

This year, Kentucky and Washington state hiked their liquor tariffs. Montana, Indiana and North Dakota rejected higher beer taxes.

Interesting weblink: Stop the Beer Tax: http://stopthebeertax.com
    Over the Border - a potential problem mentioned in article and nicely illustrated (MAP) on this website.

Just when Bear wanted a beer.
    Last edited by JNA; 24 May 2005 at 7:31 AM.
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bear Guzzles Campers' Beer, Eats Food

DUNBAR, W.Va. -- Larry Gaynor and his brother had to cut their latest fishing trip short after a black bear ate their food and guzzled their beer.

Hearing a noise, they looked outside their tent and saw the bear with its mouth clamped on their cooler. Larry Gaynor said the bear dragged the cooler 30 yards into the woods and flung it against a tree, scattering a case of Coors Light.

"He only drank three cans," Larry he said. "He would've drank all of them if it would've been Budweiser."
    My emphasis sure sounds like the makings for a commercial ?

From the AP Wire:
    Last edited by JNA; 14 Jun 2005 at 5:18 PM.
    Oddball

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Anyone hear of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA? I bought a bottle and have not to drink it. Yes, it was an $8 bottle. My friend picked one up and said it was well worth it. I'll try it tonight. I think the brewery is out of Vermont or Delaware.

-Peart

Registered
    Jan 2004
    I picked up a bottle of kolsch for my Friday night cocktail today.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well, I don't have time to read this entire thread...but I feel like I have a second home now!

Dogfish Head is out of Delaware. The head brewer, Sam Calagione is bordering on brewing genius. Right up there with Lee Chase from Stone (San Diego) for pushing beer styles to their maximum. Both of which are surpassed by Tomme Arthur from Pizza Port (Solano Beach, CA) in terms of incredible accomplishments in brewing!

Cheers!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I feel better about buying some Dogfish Head. That was a lot of cash for one bottle. I'll tell you all how it goes tomorrow.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hope you like lots of hops!! Personally, I think the 90 Minute is a much better and much more balanced beer, but the 120 Minute is meant to be a huge alcohol, hop-bomb and it is exactly that!

If you want to the story behind the "minute" names, let me know!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I was flipping through the news channels this morning and stopped on Fox News of all channels, since they were showing (and drinking) beer at 7 am in the morning. Apparently Samuel Adams is coming out with a new brew called Utopia. At 50 proof and $100 a bottle, I would hope it's good. Yowsa!

Registered
    May 2005

Natty Light...Good

Natural Light , hands down at 4.8% of the whole U.S. market, is the BEST BEER (well, 4th most selling that is).

Bill

source: Information Resource Center, Inc. (2002-2003)

“I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...”

- Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    I was flipping through the news channels this morning and stopped on Fox News of all channels, since they were showing (and drinking) beer at 7 am in the morning. Apparently Samuel Adams is coming out with a new brew called Utopia. At 50 proof and $100 a bottle, I would hope it's good. Yowsa!
    Not new and honestly not very good! Sam Adams has long been on the kick of making sure that they own the record for highest alcohol percentage beer with Utopia. Last year's price was about $150 and the beer is just not very good, even the 3 year old aged version that I had!

But to be fair to Sam Adams (why, I don't know), I will give them their props for trying something experimental when it comes to brewing. But if I wanted to drink something that tasted like Cognac, I would buy Cognac and not beer. Nice looking bottle though! Utpoia

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I feel better about buying some Dogfish Head. That was a lot of cash for one bottle. I'll tell you all how it goes tomorrow.
    You know, Prana was right, the Dogfish 120 minute IPA was HOPPY. Thick and full of alcohol too. It was okay for me, but I tend to shy away from Hoppy beers and probably won't buy this again.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club