+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Prana, ZMan - your take on these?
    I'd trust prana's palate on those, as I have not traied them.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    [QUOTE=prana]Nice selection!

Haven't had the Burton Baton. Bastard! Those are hard to find!
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Prana;
    He said it was rare and would only sell me two ($4.19 each, 12 oz.) I'll let you know how good it is!!!

The Sierra Nevada Cap says 2006 Bigfoot Expedition, that's why I added 'expedition' to the name. Good to know the real name.

Hey Big Owl - Me thinks I'll be stopping there every couple/three of weeks for a pickup and fill in with the local place. If you want me to import something special into CatCo that GG&H doesn't have, let me know and I'll add it to the list next time I go.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    The Sierra Nevada Cap says 2006 Bigfoot Expedition, that's why I added 'expedition' to the name. Good to know the real name.
    Hey- if that's what the cap says, I would trust the cap over me! I'll have to check that out. It's time to throw some of that down in my cellar anyway. I have a few years running, but I keep drinking them at about 2 years old! Damn temptation....
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    What would you say is the best Porter on the market?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter! Yum!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by prana
    Sam Adams Millenium- I never had this one and don't know if it's still out there anywhere.
    I sampled Millenium at the 1999 GABF. One of my friends described it this way: "If God was in the form of a liquid, this is what He'd taste like." I agreed with him completely.

$100 a bottle. I think I drank about forty bucks worth.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Kind of depends on which style of porter. I tend to think of them in three catagories: English, Baltic and American. All are different and mostly in the hops that are used. But even in the malts, the English tend to be a little more subdued, the Baltics have a little more bite and the Americans tend to have more body and chocolate in them. Of course these are very general qualities.

Here are my votes for stuff that is fairly widely available across the US:
    English:
    Fuller's London Porter
    Samuel Smith's, The Famous Taddy Porter
    Entire Butt English Porter

Baltic:
    Okocim Porter
    Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter (only in the NE)
    Sinebrychoff Porter

American:
    Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (Midwest only)
    Alpha Klaus Xmas Porter (Three Floyds out of Indiana)
    Alaskan Smoked Porter
    Thomas Hooker Imperial Porter (Eastern US mostly)
    Anchor Porter
    Stone Smoked Porter
    Smuttynose Robust Porter (NH and New England)
    Odell Cutthroat Porter (CO with wide distribution)
    Black Butte Porter (OR with wide distribution)
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

The Beer Gods Hath Bestowed Mercy on Me Finally!

Oh the Beer Gods have bestowed mercy on me finally.....living in Greenville, SC is about as far away as coming of age in Portland, OR in terms of beer. A new store has opened called Total Wine & More, the more being beer and cigars....and the beer being great beer that I haven't seen or drank in ages. I was like a kid in a candy store, they even sell single bottle of most kinds of beer they carry. Still can't buy beer over 5% alcohol but this is a step in the right direction! It's going to be a very merry weekend indeed

This newfound store will serve me decently enough until I return to civilization when I go off to grad school in August. I have been accepted at Ball State & Rutgers so far.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Anyone have recommendations for their favorite commercially available rauchbier?

I can get several different varities of Schlenkerla Smokebeer at my local beer store, I've got a bottle of their smoked wheat and Marzen in the fridge. The Urbock is excellent. They run about $3.50 for a 500ml bottle.

According to their Web site, there's not too many places in Michigan where you can buy it.

Cloverleaf fine wine & spirits
    Southfield, MI 48034
    www.cloverleafwine.com

Big T Restaurant
    Lawton, MI 49065
    www.bigtrestaurant.com

EDIT:

Baltic:
    Okocim Porter
    Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter (only in the NE)
    Sinebrychoff Porter
    Baltika 6 from Russia is a very good porter, IMHO. Around here, it's sold in single 500ml bottles for about $1.50. (I live in a neighborhood with a good-sized Russian immigrant community, and Russian beers are easy to find around here. Russian beers are flavorful, good examples of the style, a great value, and their alcohol content is impressive. )

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Prana, the Dogfish Head Burton Baton was outstanding! Mellow and smooth. A very slight sweet taste (being 10%). Great color. I can easily say, it's is one of the best ales that I have ever had. Find it - Buy it.

I started out with it at the Super Bowl party and then switched to Harpoon's IPA. I used to really like that IPA, but after the Burton Baton, suddenly it wasn't all that great.

I know where I'm going for lunch this week
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 2001
    So I bought some beer last night to take to a buddies, $24 for a 12 pack (6 pack of steam whistle and 6 pack of heineken). At that price it is actually cheaper for me to drink outside the house (pint is $5-9 and I'll only drink 3-4 pints)

Think I'll be switching to red cap (buck a stubby) or maybe laker ($24 for 24). Even my beloved 50 is close to $20 a 12.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    So I bought some beer last night to take to a buddies, $24 for a 12 pack (6 pack of steam whistle and 6 pack of heineken). At that price it is actually cheaper for me to drink outside the house (pint is $5-9 and I'll only drink 3-4 pints)

Think I'll be switching to red cap (buck a stubby) or maybe laker ($24 for 24). Even my beloved 50 is close to $20 a 12.
    So, ya gonna "make'er a Laker"?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    New beers yesterday during the Super Bowl:
    after starting with an Old Jubilation and a Never Summer (local winter favorites), I jumped head first into the fray with Avery's new Mephistopheles' Stout which clocks in at an impressive 15%. Pretty insane but better than expected since I wasn't too impressed with their other two in that series, The Beast or Samael.
    Next, we kept the high alcohol train rolling with a 750 mL Dogfish Head Fort, which is a 18% raspberry bomb. Very tasty stuff!
    Switched gears to a Stone IPA
    Finished off my growler of New Belgium Peach Lambic
    and then finished the night with Liefmans Goudeband. Wow! One of the top Belgians that I have had in a long time!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by prana from beeradvocate
    1900+ beers in my bottle collection dating back to 1988...!
    Where do you keep 1900 beer bottles?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    Where do you keep 1900 beer bottles?
    Right now, they are stored in milk crates in my storage shed. A few favorites hang out above the beer fridge in the garage but even most of my posters, coasters and other miscellaneous stuff are in boxes. Just waiting for the Lotto or an investor for a pub!

Business plan is written if anyone wants to invest about $10k. I'm even looking into a "co-op" style ownership, where we can utilize 20-100 people's smaller initial investments and pay yearly dividends. Technically, I know I'm combining two different systems of investment, but I'm trying to keep it simple for this forum.

Free beer anytime you're in Colorado!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Right now, they are stored in milk crates in my storage shed. A few favorites hang out above the beer fridge in the garage but even most of my posters, coasters and other miscellaneous stuff are in boxes. Just waiting for the Lotto or an investor for a pub!

Business plan is written if anyone wants to invest about $10k. I'm even looking into a "co-op" style ownership, where we can utilize 20-100 people's smaller initial investments and pay yearly dividends. Technically, I know I'm combining two different systems of investment, but I'm trying to keep it simple for this forum.

Free beer anytime you're in Colorado!
    I'll bet you I can find that storage shed...

As for $10k, that may be feasible in a couple years. Let me know if you need a weekend booze jockey (as I said before)
    Although I am sure that there are plenty offering their services.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I'll bet you I can find that storage shed...
    What the hell is your wife/girlfriend (can't remember, sorry) say when you come home with 1900 EMPTY beer bottles!! Probably the same that mine does. "What the hell are you doing with all of those empty bottles?"

Yep- the full ones that I am hanging on to are in the cellar and there will be 200+ pounds of dogs more than a little upset if you come crawling through their dog door!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    What the hell is your wife/girlfriend (can't remember, sorry) say when you come home with 1900 EMPTY beer bottles!! Probably the same that mine does. "What the hell are you doing with all of those empty bottles?"
    Whoops.

Yep- the full ones that I am hanging on to are in the cellar and there will be 200+ pounds of dogs more than a little upset if you come crawling through their dog door!
    Okay then, where is my proper invitation?

P.S. I have to set up a Michaelskis Trap tonight. There is a lone Sam Adams Cherry Wheat in my fridge that was left by a guest. The statute of limitations is up on it, now and I shall try it soon. Did you hear that? ME! ME and ME Alone!

-Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Great slogan from article about brewpubs in the Louisville area:

"America's megabrewers have done for beer what Pol Pot did for Cambodia."

Article:
    Mo' better beer Do yourself a flavor: Try a local brew

Checkout the side story about the "Gravity Head"
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005

beer packaging

How much beer can you buy in your locale? In Florida I have yet to come across a 30-pack which is the preferred quantity in the northeast. A full case (24) is rare and most places only sell the 18-pack.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You can get 30-packs in Colorado. In fact, that was all I lived on in college.
    The price came out to $14.83, at $5 a dude, you each got 10 beers -- good dose for pre-party/getting ready to go out drinking.

-Peart

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My favourite quantity to buy beer in is the 8 pack. A six is rarely enough, and a dozen is too much. Too bad I've only ever seen them in NB.

With a 24 of "good beer" approaching $50, most are sold as 6 packs here. 12 packs are also common.

Promotions bring out the 28 or 30 pack for the price of a 24.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    How much beer can you buy in your locale?
    Metro Atlanta is mostly 6- and 12-packs, plus cases (24) for the BudCoorsMiller bottom end products. A handful of microbews and imports come in 4-packs, and I see 18-packs of some macrobrews on rare occasions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Living alone, and not inviting any friends to stay/party/whatever, a 6 pack is enough for a few days... But I haven't seen any bigger than that.... if you want more you need more 6 packs...

Although the thing that I hate is people that open the 6 packs to take out one or two, and thus finding a REAL 6 pack is a PITA. Individual beers are sold, just look next to the 6 pack, jerk!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    TP is not going to like this news, the "hipster ironic" beer of the moment is my favourite "regular" beer - Labatt 50. Saw that the trendy Drake Hotel has it on special now(3 bottels for $13.88) and the Gladstone has it on tap. Only problem, I feel pretentous ordering it, even though I've been drinking it for 15 years.

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 2:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 2:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73