Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    Hamm's is my favorite "rafting beer". The criteria for a good "rafting beer" is: 1) it must come in cans (broken bottles could puncture the raft or a person), 2) it must be inexpensive, 3) it must not be heavy, and 4) it must taste good very cold.

Pabst is another good rafting beer. Busch is another.
    Man, I could not even imagine a REAL northwoods bar without one of those old animated Hamms Beer clocks, the ones with the waterfall, campfire and canoe. How much do those go for these days in collector markets?

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Man, I could not even imagine a REAL northwoods bar without one of those old animated Hamms Beer clocks, the ones with the waterfall, campfire and canoe. How much do those go for these days in collector markets?

Mike
    Like This One

Looks like somewhere between $40 and $80

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    If there is difference between pouring the same beer into two different containers it may be from the smoothness of the insert vs. the smoothness of the glass. Glass is relatively smooth and will allow for the carbonation to cling to the glass better. The larger bubbles will ride the sides up. Less smooth surfaces will force foaming because the smaller bubbles can't coalesce into larger ones and are immediately released.
    This is the best explanation I have heard. Physics. Can't argue with it.

That was about the time that Schlitz Brewing committed one of the worst errors in consumer product manufacturing -- they changed their formula (see 'New Coke' from the 1980s) . The mistakes, blunders and arrogance that followed destroyed the brand and the company. Prior to that, they were indeed one of the top selling beers in the World. An idea of how big, the Milwaukee Road railroad hauled at least four 100+ car trains off of the branchline that served their brewery every day.

There is a non-Milwaukee company that still makes the brand, but I seldom see it in stores.

BTW, what is the latest with plans to redevelop the former Schlitz brewery site on the north edge of downtown Milwaukee?

Mike
    The story of American breweries during the 20th century is a sad one. Hundreds of small breweries went belly up during Prohibition. Only a handful were able to stay viable eeking out an existance by selling other malt products during the 20's. After Prohibitions' end, brewing began again in earnest and there was a brief rennaisance where dozens of new breweries emerged, but starting even before the 50's the trend was towards greater and greater market consolidation. By the late 70's early 80's 99% of American beer was produced by 4 companies.

Stroh's acquired both Blatz and Schiltz during the early 80's. They ended up terminating the Blatz brand label and proceeded to run the Schlitz label into the ground as you pointed out by changing the formulation.

I think the macros are getting slightly concerned by the demographic trends they're seeing among 18-30 yr olds. You'll notice Anheuser Busch has made forrays into the craft beer world with its Red Hook line and introduction of Michelob Amber Bock.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 19 Jul 2004 at 2:51 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    An idea of how big, the Milwaukee Road railroad hauled at least four 100+ car trains off of the branchline that served their brewery every day.
    Just curious...where did you find this figure? I have a collection of books/articles specifically about the Milwaukee Road's "Beer Line" operations, but have never come across a Schlitz-only figure like that, since the branchline also served Pabst and Blatz (via rail/truck transfers, as their breweries were located off-line), plus many non-brewery shippers on the line that would have outbound carloads of cargo attached to the muliple daily "Beer Trains."

BTW, what is the latest with plans to redevelop the former Schlitz brewery site on the north edge of downtown Milwaukee?
    Many of the old Schlitz brewery buildings were converted into an urban office park (known as Schlitz Park) in the early-1990s. Some of it was even converted into a public school.

A few years ago, the vacant brewhouse was going to be converted into a Harley-Davidson motorcycle museum--but those plans fell through (too expensive to retrofit the building). Earlier this year Harley announced plans to construct a museum from scratch on a site in the Menomonee Valley.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    DESCRIPTION OF HEAVEN

Waking up in the morning and crawling out of your tent or camper. Looking at the ground around the campfire, now dead.....but it was about 4:00 AM when you threw the last log on it and almost threw yourself in the fire.

All around the cold ashes are empty bottles of ROLLING ROCK. Those little green monsters that taste soooooooooooo good.

Beer Bear

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    So, what do you think about the World's Worst Beer list? There's an awful lot of Australian beer on there ... I'm really surprised.

donk - three of the 50 beers are from Steelman. W\hat's wrong with the beer in your part of Canada?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Markitect
    Just curious...where did you find this figure? I have a collection of books/articles specifically about the Milwaukee Road's "Beer Line" operations, but have never come across a Schlitz-only figure like that, since the branchline also served Pabst and Blatz (via rail/truck transfers, as their breweries were located off-line), plus many non-brewery shippers on the line that would have outbound carloads of cargo attached to the muliple daily "Beer Trains."
    That is true. I recall that figure from 'oral' histories that I picked up in conversations over the years with Milwaukee area railfans. Until the mid-1970s, there was enough rail-freight traffic to keep a classification 'hump' yard (now much of the abandoned railroad yard east of Miller Park) busy and Schlitz was definitely a part of it.

Mike

Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Like This One

Looks like somewhere between $40 and $80
    Unfortunately not. The clock that I am thinking of shows an animation in the style of the current Miller clock (the one with the varying big-city skylines), with the scenes moving from a campsite with smoke rising from the campfire to a canoe in a river with a waterfall falling behind it and back to the campsite. A VERY KEWL piece of beer memorabilia.

Mike
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 19 Jul 2004 at 2:52 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    So, what do you think about the World's Worst Beer list? There's an awful lot of Australian beer on there ... I'm really surprised.
    two words Bush Light.

I am sorry, but I think that Light beer is wrong.

Here is another question.

Has any one ever gone to Theology on Tap? For those of you who don’t know, it is targeted to 20's and 30's people who are kind of in the church. Here is the best part, you hang out with a priest, talk about religion and god, and drink beer. It is a setting that most people would never relate with a church, but the one that I went to tonight had people who came from the other side of the state.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Here is the best part, you hang out with a priest, talk about religion and god, and drink beer.
    I'ev never heard of it, but I think it's a great idea. I've had some of the deepest and most meaningful discussions and personal discoveries about God over a cold one or three.

It sounds like something the Belgian trappist monk brewers would highly approve of.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    So, what do you think about the World's Worst Beer list?
    I am glad before I gave up drinking, I don't remember ever having tasted (think Bill the Cat on Lite Beer: ACK! THBBFT!! :-P) any of those on that list.

Q. Wasn't the song by Traffic John Barleycorn about beer ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmm.. no Chilean beers on the worst beer list? Maybe they're just unknown... 'cause I know some bad ones... although probably not in the 50 worst beers of the world...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    That would be one of the Hamm's "Scenearama" signs. If you poke around on the Internet, you can find some for sale--they can go for several hundred, even a thousand-plus.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Markitect
    That would be one of the Hamm's "Scenearama" signs. If you poke around on the Internet, you can find some for sale--they can go for several hundred, even a thousand-plus.
    That's the one. It's the kind of thing that brings back pleasant childhood memories of family roadtrips to a northern Wisconsin resort, waiting for our turn for the fish fry with me sitting there at the bar, mesmerized, sipping a coke and watching the changing scenes of that kewl sign.

Mike

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Found in the Louisville Courier Journal Sat. July 17, 2004
    Favorite Bookmarks

American Brewery History Page
    If you find history to be a dry subject, perhaps you're not reading the stuff that hops.
    This page offers a heady brew of library resources, clips of vintage commercials, trivia, photos, jokes, e-cards, and other stout content.

http://www.beerhistory.com/

Has links to both collectables
    and forums (just what some of you need another forum to keep up with. B-))
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Mike
    Yeah, those clocks are cool. There is one in a bar in Wisdom, Montana. Actually the only one I've seen.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

donk - three of the 50 beers are from Steelman. W\hat's wrong with the beer in your part of Canada?
    A number of beers on that list appear to be "specialty" beers - low alcohol, non-alcoholic, etc. I wouldn't classify them as proper beers. Sleeman Clear and Labatt Sterling are "low-carb" beers. I've vaguely heard of Steelback, but I don't think I've ever tried them - not sure I want to.

Mmmmm: Bell's Oberon

Looking for something different on Friday I discovered a local retailer with a pretty complete line of Bells. Suddenly -- -- the Never Ending Beer Thread jumped to the fore and I bought a six pack of Bell's Oberon ($9.49). It was exceptional. Now to try the stout
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

I think the worst beer I have ever tasted ( I can't include Bud Light because it actually didn't TASTE like anything) is Old Peculiar. I had a bottle about 8 years ago and still consider it the worst tasting beer.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    I think the worst beer I have ever tasted ( I can't include Bud Light because it actually didn't TASTE like anything) is Old Peculiar. I had a bottle about 8 years ago and still consider it the worst tasting beer.
    Now, were you able to taste anything with Miller Lite? I wasn't. Light beer in general is bad.
    Last edited by boiker; 19 Jul 2004 at 5:06 PM.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    most light beers are awful....

When I was in college (Syracuse)...we used to go to a drug store and get a case of Piels goosenecks for $4.99. I used to put them out on the enclosed porch (cold of winter) a few used to freeze and break...but the icy cold ones were great.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Now, were you able to taste anything with Miller Lite? I wasn't. Light beer in gernal is bad.
    Being from Milwaukee I am legally bound to not say anything bad about Miller products. Actually I don't mind Miller light even though it is virtually tasteless and I kind of enjoy MGD light, but I don't go out of my way to drink them.

This weekend I picked up a 6-er of Moose Drool. I am so glad that they now have this in Wisconsin. It is one of the best Brown Ales I have ever tasted.

I also grabbed a 6-er of Great Lakes Brewing's Burning River Pale Ale. Pretty tasty. I am always looking for a good pale ale. Any recommendations? Some of my favorites are Summit, New Glarus Hearty Hop, Cream City, and Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA - a double pale ale filled with alcohol and flavor I think it has 9% alcohol by volume.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Looking for something different on Friday I discovered a local retailer with a pretty complete line of Bells. Suddenly -- -- the Never Ending Beer Thread jumped to the fore and I bought a six pack of Bell's Oberon ($9.49). It was exceptional. Now to try the stout
    Just so you know, Oberon is seasonal, and it is close to end of season. It is at it’s best two weekends after Memorial Day, or the first 90 degree sunny Saturday there after!

To everyone else, what are your thoughts on flavored beers? (Blueberry, Pumpkin, Christmas... and so on)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    ......To everyone else, what are your thoughts on flavored beers? (Blueberry, Pumpkin, Christmas... and so on)

American Lambics are fermented wine coolers. Therefore, I suggest staying away from any American product labled "Lambic".

There is NO such thing as an American Lambic. I do suggest any fruit flavored Lambic you can get from the BENELUX area!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2002
    To everyone else, what are your thoughts on flavored beers? (Blueberry, Pumpkin, Christmas... and so on)

YUCK

I can't stand fruity beers or those with cloves, nutmeg or other such beers. Perhaps the only time I'll drink a fruity beer is when it is mixed with a nice robust stout or porter.

Sierra Nevada Porter with a rasberry lambic or cherry sam adams is alright.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just so you know, Oberon is seasonal, and it is close to end of season. It is at it’s best two weekends after Memorial Day, or the first 90 degree sunny Saturday there after!

I'm 100% OK with the whole notion of 'flavored' beers - variety in beer is a GOOD THING. I've had some flavored beers (Cherry Larry...yummm) that have been outstanding and I have had some that, quite frankly, sucked.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73