Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

I like some flavored beers but not too many. I really enjoy Lakefront (Milwaukee) Brewery's Pumpkin Lager and I like many of the pumpkin aless that I have tried. Point Brewery used to make this awesome Maple Wheat..it leaft a maple syrup taste on your lips when you drank it. It was discontinued due to lack of interest.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Yuengling's "Lager" is of course the "cheap beer" around these parts and usually my beer of choice. I actually just noticed a few months ago that hardly anywhere has Bud or Miller on tap and everyone has Lager. Yeungling's "Black&Tan" is pretty popular and is on a lot of taps. Their "Lord Chesterfield" Ale is also on the money and great for the summer when the lager is too heavy.

For some reason PBR, or "the champagne of beers" if you prefer, has become pretty hip in the city . . . i think it has to do with the price. A lot of bars have it on tap now. A shot of Jim Beam and a can of PBR are now known as the "Citywide Special" and can be had just about anywhere by that name for $2-$4

Yard's is brewed in Philly. I go for their ESA every once in a while but i have to be in the mood. Victory is brewed out on the main line and their Hop Devil is good stuff. It's def. up there on the list.

i just had the Dogfish Head (of Delaware)"Raison d'Etre".
    Tasty and STRONG! 3 pints and i was ready to call it a night.
    "A deep mahogany ale brewed with beet sugar, green raisins, and Belgian yeast.
    As complex as a fine red wine. 8% ABV 36 IBU"
    Last edited by jresta; 19 Jul 2004 at 4:31 PM.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    Yuengling's "Lager" is of course the "cheap beer" around these parts and usually my beer of choice.....

....i just had the Dogfish Head (of Delaware)"Raison d'Etre".
    Tasty and STRONG! 3 pints and i was ready to call it a night.
    "A deep mahogany ale brewed with beet sugar, green raisins, and Belgian yeast.
    As complex as a fine red wine. 8% ABV 36 IBU"
    Please tell me you think of it as "inexpensive" and not cheep.

As for Dogfish Head... I love the champaigne bottle look, but it was not a good choice right after an Oktoberfest Party. I don't think that I have been that drunk in my entire life. I did not get sick only because the buzz lasted for a few days.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    flavored beers... there is a chocolate stout available from a micro brewery here that is amazing. I like stout however and I like chocolate. It was a simple win-win.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Please tell me you think of it as "inexpensive" and not cheep.

As for Dogfish Head... I love the champaigne bottle look, but it was not a good choice right after an Oktoberfest Party. I don't think that I have been that drunk in my entire life. I did not get sick only because the buzz lasted for a few days.
    Yes, exactly, the lager is inexpensive and tasty.

You're in Reading, right? Next time you're in Philly and the line at Monk's is too long head over to Abbaye at 3rd&Fairmount - it's the only other place i know of with the Raison d'Etre on tap.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    You're in Reading, right? Next time you're in Philly and the line at Monk's is too long head over to Abbaye at 3rd&Fairmount - it's the only other place i know of with the Raison d'Etre on tap.
    I was in Reading. But last fall, I got out and found a great job for a city in the Kalamazoo Michigan area. (Mid way between Detroit and Chicago)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yesterday, I bought a six pack of Bell's Oberon. $8.50 at Cost Plus World Market. I also bought a six of New Holland Sundog and Three Floyds Alpha King (from NW Indiana, but close enough) to try out.

I think a microbrewery in Detroit selling their wares in 40 ounce screw-top bottles might be worth a gamble. Riot Blood Red Ale, Devil's Night Fire-Brewed Lager, and Oakland County Extremely Pale Ale would definitely have some kitsch value, much like the brews from Schmaltz Brewing. Which reminds me ... I should check out the kosher grocery store near me to see if they have any.

Trivia: Three Floyds Gumballhead is technically illegal in Ohio. Why? (Yes, I know a bar here that serves it. No, I'm not telling you where.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2003
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...on_coors_col_1

Merger talks between Canada's Molson Inc. and U.S.-based Adolph Coors Co. helped boost their stocks on Tuesday, but analysts were left wondering if the brewers' possible merger would create a firm that could compete in a tough global market.

But since Molson and Coors already have a joint venture -- where Molson brews and sells Coors products in Canada and Coors brews and sells Molson's brands in the United States -- analysts have been wondering where and how the combined company could grow.

The brewers are steeped in family tradition, with Coors founded in the Denver suburb of Golden in 1873 by Adolph Coors and Jacob Schueler. John Molson founded the company that bears his name, in 1786 in Montreal.

A Molson-Coors deal would likely offer little or no premium to shareholders of either company with executive positions split among them, analysts said..

Many Articles about this.

Q. Do Cyburbians drink enough beer to equal

"In the United States, annual consumption per person in 2002 was around 175 pints, according to industry figures."
    OR
    "The average German adult drank 255 pints of beer last year, 35 more pints than his British counterpart, the survey found."

taken from the AP Wire Story:
    Survey: 1 in 5 Germans Drink to Get Drunk

Pretty funny coming from a non-drinker.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 08 Aug 2005 at 10:17 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Q. Do Cyburbians drink enough beer to equal

"In the United States, annual consumption per person in 2002 was around 175 pints, according to industry figures."
    OR
    "The average German adult drank 255 pints of beer last year, 35 more pints than his British counterpart, the survey found."

taken from the AP Wire Story:
    Survey: 1 in 5 Germans Drink to Get Drunk
    There's this cool pub in town called the "Pilsen Klub" located on campus which features lots of imports and micros (dimly lit, has lots of couches to sit on, big fireplace with a fire going all winter long) ......anyways....they used to have a chart on the (half timbered) wall which showed the per capita consumption of beer and wine in the world. Needless to say countries like France and Italy topped the wine consumption list, but what surprised me was that Australia led the world in per capita consumption of alcohol overall, edging out even germany in the beer department. I wonder if those stats hold true today?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    There's this cool pub in town called the "Pilsen Klub" located on campus which features lots of imports and micros (dimly lit, has lots of couches to sit on, big fireplace with a fire going all winter long) ......anyways....they used to have a chart on the (half timbered) wall which showed the per capita consumption of beer and wine in the world. Needless to say countries like France and Italy topped the wine consumption list, but what surprised me was that Australia led the world in per capita consumption of alcohol overall, edging out even germany in the beer department. I wonder if those stats hold true today?
    I don't know? Perhaps we can ask Rem, da monkey, or one of the other Aussie Cyburbians. That is, if they're sober enough to type a response.

I don't know how it is in the rest of the nation but it was big news that per capita beer consumption in Pennsylvania has dropped to the lowest level since 1947. Down to just under 23 gallons per person.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I don't know how it is in the rest of the nation but it was big news that per capita beer consumption in Pennsylvania has dropped to the lowest level since 1947. Down to just under 23 gallons per person.
    That's because I moved.

I know Yuengling has been slowly creeping into WNY, but it still hasn't made it to Buffalo, although 45 minutes away you can get it. Tough market to tap into, expecially in a market where Bud doesn't have over a 50% share.

PBR has been back for a while, although I don't think it ever left. They a had a special at the store for a 24 pack for $8.99, although the Genny 30 pack is still cheaper.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Has anyone ever encountered a woman who could just put away beer like no one's business? I was looking at one those alcohol metabolizing charts - you know the ones which show how many drinks over so many hours put you at .10 or .075 or whatever blood alcohol level and I noticed on one web site that they had one chart for males and another for females. Typically, the more one weighs the more alcohol one can consume without getting as drunk. The thing I noticed, though, was that a male and a female of identical weight metabolized alcohol at different rates, women appear not to metablolize as quickly. I always assumed that it was just because guys are usually heavier that we hear the gals always saying "I am such a lightweight when it comes to drinking". Apparently there is also some biological basis for it as well.
    That said, I did know this girl in college who could routinely put down more beers than most of the football players could. She did have a rather...uh..zaftig...figure (I guess the beer had to go somewhere), but not so much so that it could easily explain her ability to hold her liquor. I wondered if anyone else has come across this?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Has anyone ever encountered a woman who could just put away beer like no one's business? <snip> I wondered if anyone else has come across this?
    Most women I know will have a couple of beers and then switch to something else. I can't think of any that had hollow legs. Mrs. G. is a direct descendant of Jim Beam and can put away good Kentucky bourbon like no one's business B-)
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I know a good irish woman who can down beers/liquour like no tomorrow... she could down a case of beer... and does indulge in the dark heavy beers as well. She is slowing down a bit.. and she isn't a cow either.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    I know a good irish woman who can down beers/liquour like no tomorrow
    This is probably worthy of a sub-thread in itself. It seems that most nationalities claim they have traditions of being boozehounds - some more than others. Irish have figured prominently in this mythology. Russians too. Perhaps there is some basis for it, though. Germans, after all, are the world's great beer drinkers....

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I lived on an island in Greece for a summer.... and no one could drink like the vacationing Scandanavians..... back to the topic....beer of choice in Greece were German beers... Henniger and Dinkelacker... also drank Amstel (not light)
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Maister http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/22/in...pe/22bing.html

The article discusses various European countries' abilities to booze it up and the Britian's issue with all of it.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I lived on an island in Greece for a summer.... and no one could drink like the vacationing Scandanavians.....
    You've got that right:-P
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I know a good irish woman who can down beers/liquour like no tomorrow... she could down a case of beer... and does indulge in the dark heavy beers as well. She is slowing down a bit.. and she isn't a cow either.
    I dated a Norwegian back in college (part of my international studies requirement ) and she could put away a few drinks. However, I have never meet a heavier drinking bunch than the Australians and Kiwis I met and partied with while traveling Europe. Granted I wasn't even 18 at the time but those kids were drinking everyone under the table.

It might have been because they were sauced all of the time but they were also some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Registered
    Mar 2004

And why not...

Why wouldn't they be the nicest people you've ever met, look at the lifestyle :-} ...Drink , Beach o , Work 32-36 hours a week B-) and/or 4-6 weeks off a year :-P ..compulsory trips around the world ...small number of people for huge resources ...on and on and on.....can you tell I'm overworked?
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Anybody remember this brand - Rheingold ?
    Oddball

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Has anyone ever encountered a woman who could just put away beer like no one's business?......
    Standard Wisconsinite women do a fair job of keeping up with this states Male professionals!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Has anyone ever encountered a woman who could just put away beer like no one's business?......

Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Standard Wisconsinite women do a fair job of keeping up with this states Male professionals!
    I once tryed to keep up with a Native American woman. I can attest that stereotype is very untrue. I was put down like a dog.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The cyburbian affect - Geography of Micro Brews

From the Indianapolis Star, July 28, 2004:
    State has microbreweries from LaPorte to Evansville
    http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/165741-7498-067.html

Seventeen microbrew companies are operating in Indiana.
    Listed by region northern, central (Indy), and southern; then by
    name, address, and website.

Other article headlines today:
    Tap into tasty beers
    Festival visitors can taste results of brew experiment
    Pretzels great with beer -- and so is chocolate
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Seventeen microbrew companies are operating in Indiana.
    17 microbreweries in Indiana. That's saying something about the popularity of craft beers. I haven't Googled it, but I'll wager Michigan has got quite a few microbreweries these days. You know what state has got a ton of microbreweries is California. It'd be worth it to make the trek out there just visit the breweries.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73