Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1700

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Jan 2007
    FYI - upcoming Terrapin Brewery activities

Terrapin is going to be having some sort of fun activity at the brewery on Saturday June 7th, I will be working so come out and say hi.

The GA chapter of ASLA is also having a private tour of the brewery on Friday June 13th at 6:00 pm. Non members are welcome and it might be fun to have some planners in the mix with all of the LAs.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Aug 2002
    There was a massive fire at the F.X. Matt Brewing Company in Utica (NY) yesterday. One of the oldest regional breweries still operating, F.X. Matt is where Saranac beers are produced. All brewery employees made it out safely, although some had to be treated for smoke inhalation. It was apparently a very stubborn fire. The owners are saying they will rebuild...

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Oh. My. God.

I just tried volume II of Terrapin's side project, the RoggenRauchBier. It is PURE HEAVEN! Thank goodness I have secured 24 of them!!! I highly recommend it!

Now, what I really came on here about is cheese. I am putting together a private tour/social for GA ASLA at the brewery and I need to serve some good snacks. Cheese seemed like a good idea. Sooooo, what do you guys recommend as good cheeses to go with various types of Terrapin beer?

BTW - if any of you Georgians would like to pop over for the tour, it is next friday (the 13th). PM me and I can give you the details. You don't have to be a Landscape Artichoke or a member to GA ASLA to attend.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    There was a massive fire at the F.X. Matt Brewing Company in Utica (NY) yesterday. One of the oldest regional breweries still operating, F.X. Matt is where Saranac beers are produced. All brewery employees made it out safely, although some had to be treated for smoke inhalation. It was apparently a very stubborn fire. The owners are saying they will rebuild...
    I worked for the City of Utica in the late 90s... the brewery is quite an establishment. One of the few jewels in Utica. I worked outside most of the time on a streetscapes program... the smell of the brewery seemed ever present.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by graciela View post
    Oh. My. God.

I just tried volume II of Terrapin's side project, the RoggenRauchBier. It is PURE HEAVEN! Thank goodness I have secured 24 of them!!! I highly recommend it!

Now, what I really came on here about is cheese. I am putting together a private tour/social for GA ASLA at the brewery and I need to serve some good snacks. Cheese seemed like a good idea. Sooooo, what do you guys recommend as good cheeses to go with various types of Terrapin beer?

BTW - if any of you Georgians would like to pop over for the tour, it is next friday (the 13th). PM me and I can give you the details. You don't have to be a Landscape Artichoke or a member to GA ASLA to attend.
    This is my cheese heaven...you might find some useful info on the site. http://www.murrayscheese.com/
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2003

Imperial Weizen

Was driven thru Wisconsin to to get to Minnesota. Have to stop and get some New Glarus Brewery products. Usually get Spotted Cow, farm house ale. Found an Imperial Weizen by New Glarus...higher alchohol content. Weird, but good. First Imperial Weizen I've ever tried.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have been guzzling Sierra Nevada's Summerfest these past couple weeks. And I took a handful of cans of Dale's Pale Ale in the golf cart the last time I hit the links.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous™ is back in Milwaukee

Original formula Schlitz is returning to its historic home town.

"Schlitz finds its way back to Milwaukee
    Classic 1960s formula to return with gusto to city next week
    By TOM DAYKIN
    tdaykin@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: June 19, 2008

Dean Wonser was 9 when he tried his first Schlitz. It didn’t go down so well.

His Cub Scout troop was attending a Brewers game at County Stadium, and Wonser’s father said he could have a sip of beer (perfectly legal for a parent to do in Wisconsin, BTW - mgk). Wonser managed to swallow a few big gulps before Dad yanked his cup back. A few innings later, he was in the fetal position on the bleachers, trying not to vomit in front of his pals.

When Wonser turned 18, in 1980, he drank his first legal Schlitz, for years advertised as “The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous.” But the stuff was watery and weak, leaving Wonser to wonder: “Gee, what was I waiting for all these years?”

Wonser learned that the formula for Schlitz had been changed, and not for the better. So Wonser tried other beers, and today favors Miller High Life Light. But he’s willing to give Schlitz another shot, now that it’s being sold again as the “Classic 1960s formula.”

“Absolutely, I will,” Wonser declared Thursday, after learning about next week’s return of Classic Schlitz to Milwaukee. He grew up in the Riverwest neighborhood, where there was seemingly a tavern on every corner, and “everyone drank Schlitz. That’s just the way it was.”

(see link for rest of article)

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=764163

Schlitz was the #1 beer in the USA before the company changed its formula in the early 1970s. We shall see if it wins back Milwaukeeans.

In addition to Miller's huge brewery on Milwaukee's west side, Blatz, Pabst and Schlitz all had MASSIVE brewery complexes in the city's downtown area - all three of which are now gone.

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 20 Jun 2008 at 3:14 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I heard that due to grain shortages in WWII, Budweiser had to change their recipe to use "weaker" ingredients like rice, and apparently the recipe has remained the same.

I would be curious to try both the pre-war Bud and this original Schlitz recipe.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Does anyone have thoughts on Blue Moon's summer ale? Blue Moon has that little orange zip to it, but the summer ale has a crips, honey taste. Perfect for a nice sip on the porch for a warm summer day.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    In addition to Miller's huge brewery on Milwaukee's west side, Blatz, Pabst and Schlitz all had MASSIVE brewery complexes in the city's downtown area - all three of which are now gone.
    I found Blatz recently back in Illinois and I couldn't believe how much I liked it.

Also, my curiousity forced me to try Miller Chill. I didn't expect it to taste good. The verdict: Don't bother.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2005
    Just finished off a Bell's Oberon Ale.

Nothing says summer in West Michigan like this beer. Not that I think it's the greatest, but this beer has become quite the standard in West Michigan.

Registered
    May 2004
    This may be a repeat - but dam Hoegarden white Beer is so very very good. wow

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post

Also, my curiousity forced me to try Miller Chill. I didn't expect it to taste good. The verdict: Don't bother.
    I too have been very curious. However, I have resisted. Based on your comments, if I want a Mexican-style beer, I'll buy a Mexican beer.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The Sam Adams Summer Ale on draft was pretty tasty last night after a wicked week.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My FIL brought me back some of this from Montana:

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Moose drool is good. There are a lot of Moose related names at breweries around Montana and Idaho.

I am jealous, my wife and her family are making a trip to the Laughing Dog brewery in Sandpoint, ID. They have a REALLY good IPA there.

Me? I have been drinking Guinness and 5 Barrel Pale Ale recently as well as the macro swill (Coors Light) that is the "official" after game locker room beer of my hockey team.*

*- Of course I drink it. I mean after a game you are thirsting for something and we're 7-0 now--I am not going to mess with the streak...

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Favorite beer name has to be Polygamy Porter from Wasatch Beers in Utah. Motto: "why have just one?" With a marketing slogan of "bring some homes for the wives."

Link: http://www.wasatchbeers.com/polygporter.html

Registered
    May 2004
    Tried some Maharaja Imperial IPA from Avery brewing. Really good - I've had a few other Avery beers and really like them. We are starting to get more of the micors from Colorado around here (Washington) lately. I need to try some others. Any good ones in particular I should be keeping an eye out for? I don't really care for most of the New Belguim beers at all.

On another note- Heineken Light is the best light beer I have ever had.

What is it about IPAs that I don't like? I avoid them like the plague after drinking a "Pale Ale" years ago and being horrified by it -- any beer aficionados out there want to venture why my taste buds frown on IPAs? I like about every other kind of beer brewed.

Inquiring minds want to know...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    What is it about IPAs that I don't like? I avoid them like the plague after drinking a "Pale Ale" years ago and being horrified by it -- any beer aficionados out there want to venture why my taste buds frown on IPAs? I like about every other kind of beer brewed.

Inquiring minds want to know...
    IPA's are light amber-gold colored, highly hopped beers with medium body. It's amost certainly the hops that's turning you off. Hops add bitterness, act as a preservative (important in the days before fridges), and also add aroma.

The high hops content found in IPA's occurs on two levels 1) the beer is cooked with lots of boiling hops, thereby creating a a more bitter beer than most medium body beers. 2) They also add what are called 'finishing hops' at the end of the fermentation process to steep sorta like tea and thereby lend a certain floral scent to the beverage. IPA's use lots of finishing hops too and many of the folks who are turned off by the effect report the beer smells and tastes remiscent of a field full of weeds.

That's my guess why you don't like it
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Tried some Maharaja Imperial IPA from Avery brewing. Really good - I've had a few other Avery beers and really like them. We are starting to get more of the micors from Colorado around here (Washington) lately. I need to try some others. Any good ones in particular I should be keeping an eye out for? I don't really care for most of the New Belguim beers at all.

On another note- Heineken Light is the best light beer I have ever had.
    What other CO breweries are you getting?
    ODell Brewing is one of my favorites, but I don't think they are selling out of state. What New Belgiums are you getting up there? If it is just Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat, then I am sorry. There are many seasonal and obscure offerings that make New Belgium good.

Avery's beers are okay, I was tained by trying a spiced wheat offering from them orginally, but have a couple of their IPA bombers in the fridge.

Look for Mojo Risin' IPA and Hazed and Infused from Boulder Brewing if you are a Hop Head.

-Peart

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    IPA's are light amber-gold colored, highly hopped beers with medium body. ~snip~ IPA's use lots of finishing hops too and many of the folks who are turned off by the effect report the beer smells and tastes remiscent of a field full of weeds.

That's my guess why you don't like it
    Now that my aroma-memory is returning I can fairly say you've nailed it, mostly -- it's a field full of weeds ... in Jersey.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    What other CO breweries are you getting?
    ODell Brewing is one of my favorites, but I don't think they are selling out of state. What New Belgiums are you getting up there? If it is just Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat, then I am sorry. There are many seasonal and obscure offerings that make New Belgium good.

Avery's beers are okay, I was tained by trying a spiced wheat offering from them orginally, but have a couple of their IPA bombers in the fridge.

Look for Mojo Risin' IPA and Hazed and Infused from Boulder Brewing if you are a Hop Head.
    I have tried both mojo rising and hazed and infused. Liked em both. As far as new belquim I have tried Fat Tire , sunshine wheat , skinny dip , 2 below , blue paddle and loft .

Gedunker - what kind of beers do you like? IPA's and to a lesser extent pales, are mostly quite bitter. But so are alot of ESB's. What is yuo favorite type of beer? I think with IPA's you need to slowly get into them and learn to appreciate the hop flavor. Starting out with too strong an IPA can sour you on them.

Another beer I tried this weekend was the Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08. Apparantly they release one vertical epic every year 2.02.02, 3.03.03, 4.04.04 and so on until 2012. They are bottle conditioned so you are supposed to wait until 2012 to drink them. It lasted all of two days in my fridge - but it was still really really really good. Stone has the recipes for the vertical epics on their website (i've heard) and I may try to brew this one soon.

+ Reply to thread
Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73