Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I haven't Googled it, but I'll wager Michigan has got quite a few microbreweries these days.
    Michigan likes beer!

Here are more!

Yea, we have a few. K-Zoo has 4 of them! (they list 6, but Bells is so good, it is listed 3 times!)
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Michigan has some great brewerys.

Every summer there is an event where a whole tour bus full of people meet up in Detroit and take a trip from Detorit west down Interstate 94 and they stop at a bunch of the brew pubs locate in the cities along the way. It starts at about 11:00 am and I think stops at between 6 and 10 different pubs for about an hour each.

It sounds like a lot of fun, I have always wanted to do it but never have.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    In reference to a post in a different thread about mixing beers by Budgie, here are two I suggest.

The Germans have 2 interesting concoctions that work REALLY well for buz maintainance or if you will be driving after drinking.

Ratler Mas (close enough):
    Half of the tankard (size of your choice) filled with a seven up or fizy citrus' kind of soda, the other half filled with a blond or light colored pilsner or lager.

Cola Wiezzen:
    Grand Pilsner glass contains .25 ml of coke or cola like carbonated sugar water, and the other half contains .25 ml of dark (dunkel) wiessbeer.

Both drinks hold a buzz while not allowing you to get more drunk, because sooner or later you will get either full, or spend so much time running to the mens room, there is no more time for drinking.

I once tried to get drunk on the Cola Wiezzen and paid the price. After 6 liters, I barely had a buzz. I then reported to the motorpool where I was trapped in a Brit Het (tank carrying truck) for 5 hours with no restroom break. Needless to say, I never repeated that little circus performance again!

Both drinks are tastey!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Ratler Mas (close enough):
    Half of the tankard (size of your choice) filled with a seven up or fizy citrus' kind of soda, the other half filled with a blond or light colored pilsner or lager.
    You may also want to try the Radler's closely related English brother called a 'Shandy' which is a 50/50 mix of a light lager and ginger ale. I find it to be a pleasant way to dispose of a quantity of cheap american lagers.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    @ Meister

I will answere your question about the Pilsner here cause I thought it was better suited to this thread and the info will stick around longer than my PUB thread.

All pilsners are not created equal. One of the main secrets to beer IS THE WATER!

Pilsner Urquell is a north german veriety of Pilsner. This means that all things being equal, the Pilsner Urquell will have a much more bitter profile to the beer. This is caused by the hardness of the water. The water is about as hard as Lake Michigan water. The suspended minerals in the water interact with the hops and yeast to create this effect of greater bitterness. Lessening the hops in a batch of PU will only create a lager that is two sweet without the balancing bitterness and aroma it should have.

British water is even HARDER than north german water, which is why they have no notable pilsners but Pale Ales and Bitters do work for them.

Now, the cicker that makes the two types distinct.

The water used for brewing around Pilsen in the Check republic, is almost perfectly soft, meaning it is as close to distilled water as nature can provide. This means that there are no disolved minerals in the water to interact with the hops. This creates a beer where there is no noticable bitterness perception like an IPA but you get the FULL effect of the hops for aroma. Check lagers tend to be sweet rather than thier counterparts in Germany wich can be bitter.

I personaly prefer the check variants before I go for the German verieties.

Consequently, the Bavarian breweries clustered around Munich have NEVER been able to brew Pilsners. Fortunatly, they have equally tasty varients every bit as worthy to drink!

Registered
    Nov 2002

Peruvian archeology & brewing

All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    @
    The water used for brewing around Pilsen in the Check republic, is almost perfectly soft, meaning it is as close to distilled water as nature can provide. This means that there are no disolved minerals in the water to interact with the hops. This creates a beer where there is no noticable bitterness perception like an IPA but you get the FULL effect of the hops for aroma. Check lagers tend to be sweet rather than thier counterparts in Germany wich can be bitter.
    I never really thought of PU as being particularly bitter. I did some checking (as opposed to Czeching) and found you are correct and that sure enough PU comes in around 40 IBU's. Czechovar comes in around 32.

Other Cyburbians will be amused to learn that Dod is actually serving Budweiser! That's right, Czechovar is marketed in North America under that name only because in Czechoslovakia it is named 'Budver' (Czech for 'Budweiser') and there are some trademark issues out there as a result. Yes, our anemic American Budweiser traces its lineage to this brewery - kinda sad when you compare the two, huh?
    I still think you should serve some Belgian ales, though.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister

Other Cyburbians will be amused to learn that Dod is actually serving Budweiser! That's right, Czechovar is marketed in North America under that name only because in Czechoslovakia it is named 'Budver' (Czech for 'Budweiser') and there are some trademark issues out there as a result. Yes, our anemic American Budweiser traces its lineage to this brewery - kinda sad when you compare the two, huh?

I still think you should serve some Belgian ales, though.
    I have a longstanding disagreement/beef with most brewpubs. THEY ARE INCREADIBLY BORING, DULL, AND ARROGANTLY STUCK ON THEMSELVES. So after I got over my snooty period (age 24 to 26) I always swore when I owned my own pub that "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DRINK, AS LONG AS YOU DRINK IT IN MY PUB" :-}

Budvar is the parent/seminal creator of the entire style of the family known as Pilsner. I have some REALLY neat lead crystal Budvar glass' I acquired while in Germany. If anyone ever shows up for a Budvar, I will have to break them out to drink with! :-}

I love the Belgian lambics. But they are damn expensive, even buying them in the liquor store.

I am open to suggestions though!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Has anybody participated in / organized a HASHING ?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Q. Has anybody participated in / organized a HASHING ?
    What the HELL is that?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Has anybody participated in / organized a HASHING ?
    What the HELL is that?
    Hash House Harriers, a local chapter of an international social group of mostly working professionals who describe themselves as "a drinking group with a running problem."

Google - Hash House Harriers
    Last edited by JNA; 02 Aug 2004 at 8:02 AM.

I love the Belgian lambics. But they are damn expensive, even buying them in the liquor store.

I am open to suggestions though!
    I bought a four-pack of Duvel on Saturday and gave $11.00 plus tax. But, man is that good. (Anybody else notice that the finish tastes a little like Wrigley's Juicy Fruit?)

Also had my first Leinenkugel's Red and Bells Amber Ale. You guys keep turning me on to new beers and my beer budget is going to go to h3ll. But that is good stuff.

Duke: do you have to carry a little extra insurance since you are going to have drunks going down 29 stairs? :-C
    No longer for better. No longer for worse. And certainly not for lunch.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I bought a four-pack of Duvel on Saturday and gave $11.00 plus tax. But, man is that good. (Anybody else notice that the finish tastes a little like Wrigley's Juicy Fruit?)

Also had my first Leinenkugel's Red and Bells Amber Ale. You guys keep turning me on to new beers and my beer budget is going to go to h3ll. But that is good stuff.

Duke: do you have to carry a little extra insurance since you are going to have drunks going down 29 stairs? :-C
    I think so. How much I need to carry is also spelled out in my rental lease. Looks not to be as bad as you might think though.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I like Duvel - even at $11 per 4-pack!
    I was completely underwhelmed by a Belgian abbey ale I tried recently called 'Affligem'. It cost $12.50 for a 6-pack and I felt rooked after tasting the first bottle.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    - Breweries

From Pilgrim brew masters to early commercial ventures to today's monolithic corporations, we'll imbibe American beer's long history, focusing on the commercial brewing industry that developed in the 19th century and continues to today. We'll also taste social experiments from the past, like the Temperance Movement and Prohibition, to see how they left scars on the industry and continue to influence sobriety today.

- Saloons

From a ladle and tin cup in an 1850s mining camp and Civil War tent saloons to Prohibition-era speakeasies, we investigate the history of the American saloon, and go behind-the-scenes at Billy Bob's, a 3-acre Texan saloon, and a Los Angeles sports bar with a computerized liquor-dispensing system. We see what it took to create the elaborate carved bars, the purpose of the brass foot-rail, the impact of refrigerated railroad cars on beer supply, and the transformational power of the bottle cap.

- Distilleries

From water and grain...to mash...still...vat...barrel and bottle--the distilling of alcoholic spirits is a big business and near-sacred religion. Its acolytes eye the color, swirl the glass, inhale the bouquet, sip, then ponder their ambrosia. What's your pleasure? Bourbon, Scotch, Rum, Gin, Vodka, or Tequila? We trace the history of distilling from the one-man/one-still tradition to the Voldstead Act of 1920 that devastated American distilleries to the mega-sales and high-volume distillery of today.

From the AP Wire, August 9, 2004

Trio Dreams Up Idea to Keep Kegs Cold
    By THOMAS J. SHEERAN

CLEVELAND -- A trio of college fraternity buddies hopes to make it big with an idea that might appeal to a party host

More of article at:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 08 Aug 2005 at 10:16 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Ok adjusting the topic a bit. I have noticed the lack of good beer at Festivals, fairs, concerts, and other big local or regional events. My choices where Bud, Bud light, MGD, or Miller Lite...
    UNTIL I moved to the Zoo

Now it is Bells, Arcadia, or one of several other regional brews.

Do your local or regional events have good beer or crappy domestics? More so, do you find that in particular areas of the country you can get better beer?

*Note there is a bar in the UP that I go to, when I am there... they don’t carry anything that is not painted a NASCAR car.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    May 2003

Festivals=Lousy Beers

MS:

Here in Colorado, all of the "summer festivals" I've attended have the standard mediocre offerings: Bud-Curs-Miller despite the fact that our state is a virtual utopian embarrassment of riches for good beer - New Belgium, O'Dells, Avery, Breckinridge, Wynkoop, et.al.

I've chastized the managment of one of them - "The Taste of Colorado" - a big Labor Day food-centered fest in downtown Denver. They claim to represent local proprietors except when it comes to the beer taps. Ultimately, it's a function of economics; the big brewers have larger promotional budgets which crowd out the smaller craft brewers.

At least we have the Colorado Brewer's Festival, the Pikes Peak Brewfest, and the grandaddy of them all, the Great American Brewfest to make up for the deficit!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What about Fairs? what beers do they offer?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Advising BEK to put a hot pepper in his beer got me to thinking about wierd beer. There is (or at least was) a beer called 'Cave Creek Chili Beer', which came in clear bottles. Floating inside each bottle was a jalapeno pepper. It wasn't world class beer but it had a great 'kick'. Ever since tasting it, I have scoured the four corners of the globe to find other hot pepper beers. I've also brewed my own.....today's beer related question. What is the strangest beer you've ever tried (brewed from manioc root? Pumpkin spice? Imported from Madagascar? Packaged in aluminum bottles?.....)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The most interesting beer I've tried recently is this German Smoked Beer. It's like liquid bacon...yummy.

This is a quote from the website:

The connoisseur drinks it slowly with relish, but steadily and purposefully. He knows, that the second "Seidla" (half-liter) tastes better than the first, and the third even better than the second. He drinks during the morning pint and during the afternoon break. He drinks it in the evenings, drinks it alone and with company, especially with company, as "Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier" makes one talkative and exuberant. It brings together the local with the stranger, as it is common in Franconia to share your table with others.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    The most interesting beer I've tried recently is this German Smoked Beer. It's like liquid bacon...yummy.

This is a quote from the website:
    I would love to sample a commercially produced rauchbier - I never have, although I have made many gallons of my own and sampled other homebrewer's wares.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From the AP Wire:
    Beer in Moderation Could Be Good for You

TORONTO -- Beer, a health food? That's what some Canadian researchers report.

A study from the University of Western Ontario finds a brew could be good for you. The researchers say beer has antioxidant boosters that could help fight cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

But the key is moderation. The researchers found three beers would have the opposite effect.

The study was funded by beermakers Guinness and Labatt. But the university says the financial support had no influence on the outcome. ( :rolleyes: )

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I just remembered another interesting beer I've had recently. A "scotch" beer. Yes, beer brewed with a hint of single malt scotch. It's an acquired taste...

Church Key brewing, near Peterborough Ontario makes it.

Registered
    Aug 2001

beer! beer! beer! beer! beer!

Get ready kids to put a lil' pep into your beer. B to the E is what all the cool kids are drinking.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Sounds like Bells Java Brew.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club