HEADLINE: The 12 Best American Beers in The Reader's Digest
    according to the Beer Trials:
    http://blindtaste.com/2010/04/12/the...sneak-preview/
    http://www.fearlesscritic.com/beer/d...eaders-digest/

Alaskan Smoked Porter (Juneau, AK)
    Boulder Planet Porter (Colorado)
    Deschutes Obsidian Stout (Bend, OR)
    Goose Island IPA (Chicago, IL)
    Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout (Denver, CO)
    Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye (Healdsburg, CA)
    Lagunitas Pils (Petaluma, CA)
    North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout (Fort Bragg, CA)
    Russian River Pliny the Elder (Santa Rosa, CA)
    Victory HopDevil Ale (Downingtown, PA)
    Victory Prima Pils (Downingtown, PA)
    Widmer Brothers Broken Halo IPA (Portland, OR)

For you beer drinkers, are any of these really that outstanding, the best or noteworthy ?
    I would agree with the Obsidian Stout. The Goose Island IPA is okay but wouldn't have been the Goose Island variety I would pick (I like Demolition Ale or Matilda). I've had the Yeti Imperial Stout and it's good.

No way I would have the Victory Prima Pils on my list, though. To me it has a soapy taste to it (yuk!). The Lagunitis is much better. I haven't had the Alaskan Smoked Porter but I did have a great smoked porter in Colorado at Wynkoop Brewery, though I thought their cream stout and schwartzbier's were top of the line, as well.

Really, though, I hate these kids of lists because beer is really subjective. When it comes to beer a hundred different people will have a hundred different lists of their favorites.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Found this somewhere on the Internets. Shrunk it down a bit so it's not a bandwidth hog.

Currently drinking a Troegs Dream Weaver Wheat. Nothing special; just a good overall beer for the summer. Recommended.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We have started getting Fat Tire and a few other sorted New Belgium beers in the area this year. Had not seen New Belgium's Spring seasonal Mighty Arrow until last night and had to try it. It's a fairly hoopy Pale Ale and good flavor.

Went to Saturdya night to our local brew pub and had their Black Raven Ale at 7% abv. A very dark ale and reminded me of Sam Adams Black Lager, but with a richer, deeper flavor. Glad I stopped when I did or I could not have made it home.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Dogfish 60 Minute IPA over the weekend....superb!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    HEADLINE: The 12 Best American Beers in The Reader's Digest
    according to the Beer Trials:
    http://blindtaste.com/2010/04/12/the...sneak-preview/
    http://www.fearlesscritic.com/beer/d...eaders-digest/

Alaskan Smoked Porter (Juneau, AK)
    Boulder Planet Porter (Colorado)
    Deschutes Obsidian Stout (Bend, OR)
    Goose Island IPA (Chicago, IL)
    Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout (Denver, CO)
    Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye (Healdsburg, CA)
    Lagunitas Pils (Petaluma, CA)
    North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout (Fort Bragg, CA)
    Russian River Pliny the Elder (Santa Rosa, CA)
    Victory HopDevil Ale (Downingtown, PA)
    Victory Prima Pils (Downingtown, PA)
    Widmer Brothers Broken Halo IPA (Portland, OR)

For you beer drinkers, are any of these really that outstanding, the best or noteworthy ?

There are some pretty pedestrian beers in that list. Alaskan Smoked Proter is pretty good, Russian River Plinty the Elder, like Kjelsadek said, it an excellent beer and I would say is definately one of the best. Hope Rod Rye is pretty good, same with Old Rasputin and Lagunitas pils.

But the only ones I think should be in that list of best beers would be Pliny the Elder, Obsidian Stout and maybe Old Rasputin. The others dont belong in such a list.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2010

Reader's Digest "Best American Beers" list

Hey, I'm the author of The Beer Trials, and I wanted to note a couple things about that Reader's Digest list.

First, we wouldn't call those beers "the best American beers". They're the highest-rated American beers in the book, but we only rated 250 beers in this edition, and our goal was to cover the beers that people could expect to find readily around the country, so a lot of great beers aren't included—mostly seasonals and beers from smaller producers.

Second, ratings are subjective, and we recognize that in the book. My goal with the book was to give people the tools to understand what they like about beer and what they dislike, and then present data on what to expect in the beers out there. Our scores represent our taster's aggregate opinions on quality, and we make no effort to directly compare beers across disparate styles, but it's not a sign of failure, in my opinion, if you disagree with us that Widmer's Broken Halo is a delightful, light-bodied IPA. If you like your IPAs to be bruisingly bitter, more power to you.

That there is no objective standard for beer's hedonistic quality is part of what makes it great, in my eyes. Could we have a world of hefeweizens, imperial stouts, malty bocks, and bitter IPAs if everyone agreed what tasted best?

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    You know, these beer awards things frequently tee me off. Blind taste tests are one thing, but for those that aren't (and yes, I guess even sometimes for blind tests too, where a particular brand has a highly recognizable 'house flavor' to their yeast), I can't help but wonder if half the time they judge based on who the entry is rather than what. Is Goose Island IPA for instance really better than say Bell's Two Hearted?
    You raise an excellent point. All of the tastings for The Beer Trials were blind tastings. Our panelists tasted beers in flights of 3-6 beers, grouped into similar styles (so nobody had to taste Deschutes Obsidian next to Hop Rod Rye or Bud Light).

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I was actually surprised that Two Hearted or Oberon were not on the list. It used to be for the past few years that Oberon was on everybody's Best Beers List and even though I don't like IPAs, Two Hearted is pretty good and seems to be rising in popularity among beer snobs in metro Detroit and Washington D.C. (the two places I've had a few beers in the last few months).
    There are no Bell's beers reviewed in this edition of the book. They are right on the edge for us in terms of production volume and distribution, so we might have included some of their beers, but in the end we were not able to procure any in the time frame demanded by our production schedule. I attempted to contact them for assistance, but they didn't get back to me.

Tastings for future editions will look to expand our coverage into regional craft breweries as well as cover the excellent seasonal offerings from craft brewers around the country.

You can read portions of our reviews for all of the beers in the book at our website: http://www.thebeertrials.com

Cheers,

Seamus Campbell
    Author, THE BEER TRIALS

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Yesterday I enjoyed a Red's Rye PA from Founders Brewing Company after a day of kayaking. It was very good. Actually, I haven't been disapointed with any of the brews that I've tried from Founders.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Welcome to Cyburbia, Seamus!

Right now, I'm drinking a Dream Weaver Wheat Beer by Tröegs Brewing Company of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It's among the better wheats I've enjoyed; full-bodied, smooth, very true to the German roots of the style, with bubblegum-like overtones similar to Three Floyds Gumballhead, another favorite of mine.

My rating: 8/10 Maisters.

Registered
    May 2004
    How cool that we got the author posting in here.

Anyways- speaking of Goose Island, I just a 8 month old bottle of Sofie last night. Kind of like a Saison?, but slightly sour. Very excellent. I'm not a big fan of Goose Island's regular lineup but this was great, as is Matilda.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Where do we get the Maister smilies?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    {sarcasm on]Yeah, the RJ smilies are never there when you look for them.[/sarcasm off]
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This weekend!

http://www.greatncbeerfestival.com/

Time for tasting
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    You like those, huh? There's also a half-Maister, so we can have ratings like ....

It might be fun to rate beer in El Guapos, too.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    You like those, huh? There's also a half-Maister, so we can have ratings like ....

What, no QuarterMaisters?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

The wise man waits until after 5:00 to dis a slacker.

Registered
    May 2004
    mmm... I'm drinking a Russian River Supplication right now. Sour ale with cherries aged in oak. If i knew how to use maisters i would give it 10 out of 10 maisters

Registered
    Mar 2005
    New marketing gimmick for a beer. You can play anote with the bottle - huh imagine that...

http://gizmodo.com/5625483/create-an...d-beer-bottles

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Sorry to say to all, since the 3 separate medical bills have descended upon my bankroll from my son's birth, I have taken a couple steps back regarding my beer choices of late.

Here is my journey:
    -Cases of Coors regular. (I feel sorry for the old, crusty farmers round here that grow Coors barley)

-On a very low budget, but thirsty on a Sunday I once bought a 6 pack of Busch for $5

-There has been a couple 18 packs of Pabst in the mix (NOT an ironic hipster thing...)

-I bought a 6 of Coors light once

- A couple cases of Miller Lite

-And I have been scavenging my neighbors garages for charity Bud Light

It has been bad, but I haven't hit rock bottom yet. I have gotten pickled on these occasions and my thirst has been quenched. I just needed to get this off my chest. I am accepting donations....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2004
    It has been bad, but I haven't hit rock bottom yet. I have gotten pickled on these occasions and my thirst has been quenched. I just needed to get this off my chest. I am accepting donations....
    Poor zman.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    On the up side, good beer will be sooooo much better when you're financially able. At least there will be good beer available. When I came back from Germany and my Army tour of keeping America free in 1970, American beer was p*sswater and there weren't many other choices.

Registered
    Mar 2005

-I bought a 6 of Coors light once

Well you said you did buy a 6 of bad-flavored water...I mean Coors Light.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This is not how I want to consume it -they'll deep fry anything now - even beer

http://gizmodo.com/5627222/dont-worr...-is-on-its-way

Registered
    Mar 2005

triple post threat

I think I'd like to taste this beer. Just for the unique experience...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ex.html?hpt=T2

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    It's 1978. What's available in your local bar?

In the Buffalo area, you'd likely encounter Genesee (Beer and Cream Ale), Labatt (Blue and 50), Molson (Golden and Canadian), Budweiser, Miller (High Life and Lite), and Stroh's at most bars. Go upscale, and you'd encounter Michelob, Lowenbrau, Heineken, Rolling Rock, Beck's, Moosehead, and/or Corona. More blue-collar, add Schlitz, PBR, Utica Club, Koch's Golden Anniversary, and/or Old Vienna to the mix. At least in the mid-to-late 1980s, bars catering to college students usually served Old Milwaukee as their generic for St. Patrick's Day and binge events.

At family gatherings when I was a kid, Genesee Cream Ale and Labatt Blue were the usual default beers.

Coors wasn't available in Buffalo until the late 1980s. There was a big deal when it arrived, because it was a non-union beer.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1978 in Kalamazoo area bars one would find the usual Bud and Miller, but there'd also be Stroh's, Goebbel's, Old Style, and Pabst in common circulation (for some reason I don't recall seeing Canadian or Mexican beers around much at all - but I was underage at the time).

Significant was the absence of Coors. Coors was not distributed east of the Mississippi (and Strohs was not distributed west of it) at that time. This was during the Great Romatic Era of the Trucker when CB radios and legendary tales of maverick truckers smuggling shipments of Coors across the River were all the rage. Coors was the Best Tasting Beer Ever Made and you might pay twice as much for a 12 pack of it as Strohs, that is until years later when you could buy it in the stores... and then it was just pisswater.

At the grocery store you'd commonly find other brands like Buckhorn, Schlitz, Rolling Rock, or Old Milwaukee. There was also a pretty fair representation of 'grandpa beers' on the shelves too, such as Black Label, Cinci cream ale, Rheinlander, Red White & Blue and the like.

Upscale was pretty much limited to Michelob, Lowenbrau, or Heineken

+ Reply to thread
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50 51 60 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club