Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1694

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    This is not how I want to consume it -they'll deep fry anything now - even beer

http://gizmodo.com/5627222/dont-worr...-is-on-its-way
    The guy won at the contest. This will be available at the State Fair of Texas this year, along with the other winner - Texas Fried Chili Pie!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    HEADLINE: Seasonal beers are brewing
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...rs+are+brewing

HIGHLIGHT:
    To simplify matters, we tasted in regional flights: Germany, Mid-Atlantic North America, Heartland North America and Western North America. Then we tasted our top five examples against one another, and in the end came up with three that all of us liked.

Left Hand Brewing Oktoberfest, Brooklyn Oktoberfest and Upland Oktoberfest
    Has anyone taste/like these ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Cascade brewing "The Vine" out of somewhere in oregon. OMG - amazing beer. a blend of a sour triple and a belgian golden, refermented with white grapes and aged in oak barrels. Incredible beer.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Cascade brewing "The Vine" out of somewhere in oregon. OMG - amazing beer. a blend of a sour triple and a belgian golden, refermented with white grapes and aged in oak barrels. Incredible beer.
    Must find....enjoying a Harpoon Oktoberfest for the time being.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004

ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I got a six pack of Firestone Union Jack India Pale Ale........I opened one and it smelled like a skunk after a territorial fight!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I got a six pack of Firestone Union Jack India Pale Ale........I opened one and it smelled like a skunk after a territorial fight!
    I guess when you turn a tire factory into a brewery you might have that problem like that.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Bummer. That is a great beer.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Bummer. That is a great beer.
    I'm taking the six pack back to the store later today....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I feel like such a geek for drinking anything by Middle Ages Brewing, but I had to try their wheat beer, Swallow Wit. A decent, drinkable warm weather brew.

Which has me thinking: what beers and breweries have the most geek appeal? Middle Ages seems to be aimed squarely at the Renaissance Fair/SCA/role play gaming crowd. There's also Open Source Beer, Bard's Tale Beer, and Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My public service announcement for the day...steer clear of Atwater D Light Kölsch-Style Beer. There are much better examples of the style to be found (I personally recommend New Hollands 'Lucid'. Earns its solid B rating from Beer advocate IMO). I found it to be slightly over-carbonated, waayy too light, and had an odd, chalky aftertaste.

Registered
    May 2004
    Anyone here into sour beers? I'm currently at the bar at cascade brew barrel house www.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com

18 of their beers on tap, 14 of them are sour beers

I had already tried their "the vine" whih is a soured tripel blended with soured blondes and golden ales then refermented with white wine grapes. It's amazing

so tonight I have tried the "bourbonic plague" which is a sour strong porter (12%) aged in oak and bourbon barrels then aged an additional 14 months on top of dates and vanilla beans

I've tried the sang nior, which is a sour imperial red aged over a year in Pinot and whiskey barrels then blended win cherries

then the Vladimir the Imp-aler, which is a bond of sour triples, quads and blondes aged in bourbon and oak barrels.

All I can say is wow. Such complex, mouth puckering yet delicous ales.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Seen at Wegmans. So wrong, yet so right.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I had my first ever Genessee Cream Ale tonight. While stopping at our corner liquor store to get some good Octoberfest beer, in the corner on the shelf in the back, I saw a 6-pack of Genny Cream. I'd never seen it sold anywhere down here before, and since Dan spoke of it often when he was down here (including texting me tonight after I sent him a picture of it on the shelf), I bought it. It wasn't bad. It tasted like an ale, only without the customary ale aftertaste. Will I buy it again? Most likely. Especially if I wind up at UB for grad school.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I;'m not a fan of copy-and-paste posts, but this has to be the best beer review ever.

Regarding Beer 30 ...

First off I must state that I have been a beer drinker for a long time. I enjoy it. I’ve had everything from the most obscure trappist ales from Belgium to kegs of cheap light beer at college parties. That being said, understand that I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into when I bought this beer...or so I thought. I was up north with a few buddies for an ice fishing weekend in Northern Michigan last month. With an extremely thin budget, we knew it was a matter of quantity over quality when it came time to buy provisions for the weekend. When we saw this cheap beer for $11.99 a 30 pack, we bought 2 of them figuring it would be something like Natty Light or Milwaukee’s Beast. That was our first mistake as you’ll see... Appearance: Like I said, we weren’t expecting a $12 bottle of Chimay Ale when we bought this stuff, so I won’t hold the rediculous logo against it. SMELL: Here’s where I felt the first wave of nausea surge thru my body. It was like a cross between exhaust fumes, burnt corn, and that formaldehyde smell you got back in high school discecting frogs. I knew it wasn’t going to smell like roses, but this was worse than the last beer floating in the cooler water after 2 days of camping. TASTE: Now here is where I REALLY started to realize the error of my ways. This stuff made the last 6th of a warm keg of Old Style Light, After a football tailgate, with the ice far far gone, sitting in the sun all day on a 90 degree Summer day in the back of a pickup truck, taste like a $10 bottle of Orval at Morton’s Stakehouse in Chicago. The previous reviewer who described it as being "rancid" just did an injustice to rotting roadkill everywhere and the scavengers who eat it. This stuff would need 3 promotions to get to the status of mosquito-eggy water which has been sitting in a plastic bucket for a year and a half behind someone’s garage. It was soooo bad we started to laugh (in retrospect crying would have been more appropriate). We gave one to the two 60 year old ice fisherman in the shanty next to us. After one sip this old guy spit it out onto the ice and loudly proclaimed "Where did you get this s%$^!" or something to that effect. I mean seriously. How bad must a beer be for an ice fisherman to dump it out !?! Have you ever seen these guys?? They can whack down a 12 pack of Black Label like its nothing. They bait hooks all day and eat chips without even cleaning their hands, but this is what did them in. Now keep in mind this was while it was ICE COLD (we were on a frozen lake on a 5 degree day after all, how much colder can you make it?) They should make Survivor contestants drink this...they would WISH the next challenge involved cockroaches and worms. MOUTHFEEL: The trick is to open up your esophagus as if you were swallowing a pill and bypass the taste buds entirely. You don’t want to let it linger on your palate any longer than biologically necessary to ingest it. This isn’t exactly a bottle of ’64 Rothschild. Drinkability: Perhaps that Bear Grillys guy from Man Vs. Wild can legitimately claim to have had worse, but as for me? I’d have to put this at the bottom of the totem pole. It ranks somewhere slightly above toxic waste but below rubbing alcohol. I have a feeling that the makers of Natural Light, Milwaukee’s Best, and Pabst Blue Ribbon were behind the creation of this beer, in order to bolster their own sales in the college frat market. If you’re jonesin’ that bad for a buzz, stick to the Natty Light or the Gennessee. Learn from our mistake. This stuff should be banned.

Registered
    Jul 2006

It's not like we didn't know...but we keep forgetting

Beer may have lubricated the rise of civilization

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40071314/?gt1=43001
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Remember that the American Revolution was plotted and planned over tankards of ale at local taverns.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Remember that the American Revolution was plotted and planned over tankards of ale at local taverns.

Mike
    Maybe that's whats wrong with the Tea Party. They're not doing it right...
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Maybe that's whats wrong with the Tea Party. They're not doing it right...
    Nobody throws beer overboard, at least not until it's been properly filtered.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Had to visit the Big City today for a meeting and gave myself an extra 30 minutes to stop by the store with specialty beers - a much bigger variety than I can obtain in my neck of the woods. Ended up buying myself the following:

Kirin Light - a light rice beer from Japan (more for my wife's palate)
    Fuller's London Pride - one of my classic favorites which can not be bought locally
    Sweetwater Brewery's (Atlanta, GA) Motor Boat - one of their seaonsal brews in the ESB style
    Dogfish Head's (Delaware) My Antonio - one of their limited specialty brews, this one in a pilsner style

The first two I've had before. The Sweetwater intrigued me as they usually have very good brews. I've always tried Dogfish Head's specialty ales when I can They are excellent brewers. I can't wait to get home and start sampling - CHEERS!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Many in the old fart crowd here in Buffalo reminisce about Simon Pure, a local brewery that closed in 1971. They remember Simon Pure both as the nectar of the gods, and the laxative of the gods.

Well, today, at an estate sale, I saw a bottle of Simon Pure Ale for sale. Not just a bottle, but an unopened bottle, filled with 40+ year old beer. $4. I was so tempted to buy it, put it in the fridge for a few days, and write a review, but the chunks floating in it were a bit of a turn-off.

Anyhow, the bottle itself seemed quite heavy compared to a modern 12 oz/355 ml bottle. Sure, I know some say in the old days, things were built to last, but a non-returnable beer bottle?

Right now, instead of some Simon Pure that would probably clean me out and do even more damage, I'm sipping a Troegenator Doublebock. I'll take any modern American craft beer over a beer from the twilight era of local macrobrews anyday.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Bell's gets the first nod on the 30 Beer Days Until Christmas feature in the NJ Star Ledger!
    http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dini...christmas.html
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Well, today, at an estate sale, I saw a bottle of Simon Pure Ale for sale. Not just a bottle, but an unopened bottle, filled with 40+ year old beer. $4. I was so tempted to buy it, put it in the fridge for a few days, and write a review, but the chunks floating in it were a bit of a turn-off.
    I am doing research on brews from breweries of Buffalo's past and it seems like the recipe for Simon Pure Ale has been lost to history. I would love to have an original unopened bottle. There might be a chance of recovering some info from this sample (ie. yeast strain, hops utilized, etc.).

Do you know if this bottle is still available? Could you please pm me with info on this estate sale. Thanks.

Mark

Registered
    Mar 2005
    These are the dead soldiers from the Holiday break...

Dogfish Head Ales - Palo Santo Marron, Burton Baton, My Antonia, Red&White: All very good and if you can find 'em, you won't regret it.
    Schneider Weiss - Hefeweissen: One of Mrs. P's favorites and a very good Hefe.
    Olde Hickory Brewery - Christmas Ale: Local brewery and this one was tasty and not over the top with spices.
    Delirium Nocturnum: a long time favorite.
    J. W. Lees - Harvest Ale 2000: Not going to bother with this brewery again. Second time I've been dissappointed. It was very heavy almost chewy.
    Sam Adams - Infinium (that was our New Years toast drink): This was outstanding and on par with the DFH ales mentioned above.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We should start a Cyburbia local beer exchange. While I am not advocating lying to the fine employees at the Post Office about what is in a particular package, I would be willing to mail out a six-pack of assorted Michigan or Detroit area beers to somebody in say California or Oregon or Colorado, etc. for a six-pack of their local favorites. Any takers?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Try Bear Republic 'Red Rocket Ale' Its is by a micro brew in Sonoma, Ca and for me it is the best beer I have ever had..........cannot go without. It is sort of a mix, flavorwise, between a scottish ale and a IPA............tasty. Their Porter is also great.

cr
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

+ Reply to thread
Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM