+ Reply to thread
Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1715

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    We should start a Cyburbia local beer exchange. While I am not advocating lying to the fine employees at the Post Office about what is in a particular package, I would be willing to mail out a six-pack of assorted Michigan or Detroit area beers to somebody in say California or Oregon or Colorado, etc. for a six-pack of their local favorites. Any takers?
    I'd do it, but I can generally get Bells (yes I know there are others). The best NC beers that I've found are local breweries who are just barely getting into bottling. DuckRabbit on the NC Coast has very good dark beers in bottles.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We should start a Cyburbia local beer exchange. While I am not advocating lying to the fine employees at the Post Office about what is in a particular package, I would be willing to mail out a six-pack of assorted Michigan or Detroit area beers to somebody in say California or Oregon or Colorado, etc. for a six-pack of their local favorites. Any takers?
    I'd take part in that. And if someone sent a 6 pack of something that I didn't like, there's always my Hubby! He'll try any beer once.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I'd do it, but I can generally get Bells (yes I know there are others). The best NC beers that I've found are local breweries who are just barely getting into bottling. DuckRabbit on the NC Coast has very good dark beers in bottles.
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I'd take part in that. And if someone sent a 6 pack of something that I didn't like, there's always my Hubby! He'll try any beer once.
    If either of you are still interested in this prospect, I will be near a good Detroit brewery tomorrow that doesn't distribute too far outside of the area (yes, there is no need to send Bell's, unless perchance you cannot get their Two Hearted Ale near you which is probably my favorite from them) and I can pick up something to send out.

Any takers?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Anyone try the Harpoon 100 barrel limited series? I just had the 100 Barrel Series #33: Glacier Harvest '10 Wet Hop Ale
    and it was definitely worth $7 for a 22oz bottle.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

I'm posting this photo with no other intent but to make Maister drool.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Since the image is blocked, I'll have to wait until I get home to see what it is that would make me drool. I'm gonna guess it's a bottle of rauchbier, though.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    If either of you are still interested in this prospect, I will be near a good Detroit brewery tomorrow that doesn't distribute too far outside of the area (yes, there is no need to send Bell's, unless perchance you cannot get their Two Hearted Ale near you which is probably my favorite from them) and I can pick up something to send out.

Any takers?
    If you can get the Postal Employees to ship it, I'll take it. I like beer!! But hopefully not too dark - ie Guiness is too thick for me.

In exchange, would you like a selection of St. Arnolds (microbrewery out of Houston) and Shiner, or another Texas brewery?

If you're still open to the exchange, we can exchange addresses in PMs.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Sign me up for a beer swap!

My experience living in the Great Lakes region taught me that there's a dividing line in the beer scene somewhere around Erie or so. In Buffalo, the bulk of regions on the shelves are from the Northeast and New England, with few Midwestern beers. In Cleveland, the beer scene points west; Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Sure, you can get Southern Tier in Cleveland, Great Lakes in Buffalo, and the usual Colorado and Pacific Northwest brews in both places. However, you can't find Three Floyds, Bells or Founders in Buffalo, or the likes of Ithaca, Troegs, and Middle Ages in Cleveland.

FWIW, I've got a special treat for those living east of Illinois that is "illegal" around these parts. I'll just say it's by a company whose name begins with "New" and ends with "elgium".

Registered
    Mar 2007
    PM sent Salmissra. The Saint Andrew's stuff looks interesting (at least on their website).

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

FWIW, I've got a special treat for those living east of Illinois that is "illegal" around these parts. I'll just say it's by a company whose name begins with "New" and ends with "elgium".
    Ahh yes! The locally coveted atFay ireTay. You can find that in your parts?

How much alcohol content do you like in your beers? There's a locally brewed Belgian Trippel at 8.5% that some folks really seem to like.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Do we need to start some sort of list of persons interested in the exchange? Who would organize? How often do members ship/receive? Any specific requests?

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head. I've been in digital billboard ordinance meetings most of the day - brain is fried!

Registered
    Nov 2009

Beer Swap???

I want in!!! Maui Brewing Company makes a tough coconut porter that I am willing to bet many Cyburbians would enjoy!

Registered
    May 2005
    I think we're on to something with this beer swapping. We get EwNay ElgiumBay here as well as a couple of other local breweries worthy of some sampling (Santa Fe Brewing and Ska Brewery in Durango which makes Modus Hoperandi among others). The best local brewery is Marble (just 6 blocks from my house!) which has a wide variety. I am partial to the IPAs (single double and triple), but they have a nice blonde, amber, wheat and red ale. Very well crafted.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Ahh yes! The locally coveted atFay ireTay. You can find that in your parts?
    Nope. I took a 12 pack (cans) back to Buffalo when I moved from Austin. Felt like I was back in 1976 smuggling Coors.

Registered
    Nov 2009

New Magical Beer Machine

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Anniversary gift from my wife...gift certificate to:

Barb's Beer Emporium

I love my wife.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2004

Hooray for Beer

This song just came on. Love this group!!

Hooray for Beer, sung by Bowling for Soup

I was lost and down
    Before you turned my life around
    I never knew a love like this could happen
    And they said I was too young
    But when I turned 21
    You gave me hope that's everlasting

Now everything is going my way
    The sun's shining all around me
    Bells are ringing and the birds are singing now
    I wanna tell the whole world

Hooray For Beer!
    I'm really glad you're here
    Let's make this moment last
    You feel so right
    Wanna be with you all night
    Shout it out
    Hooray For Beer!

And sometimes when I wake
    You seem like a mistake
    My stomach's turning circles, my head is pounding
    But at 5 o'clock
    You say it's time to rock
    And I can't resist, I gotta be around you

Now everything is hunky dory
    The stars are shining all around me
    There's a happy ending to my story now

Hooray For Beer!
    You feel so right
    Shout it out
    Hooray For Beer!

I could hold you in my hands forever
    Or at least until you're gone
    And then I'll order another one

Now everything is going my way
    The sun's shining all around me
    Bells are ringing and the birds are singing now

Hooray For Beer!
    You feel so right
    Shout it out
    Hooray!
    Hip hip hooray!
    Hooray For Beer!

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm a big fan of IPA's. I think Laurelwood's Workhourse IPA is one of the very bestest of all time.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Monticello will be selling Jefferson-era beer begining Feb. 21st.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinati...terstitialskip
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Discovery Channel show - How Beer Saved the World

Did you know that Beer was critical to the birth of civilization? That's right - Beer. Scientists and historians line up to tell the amazing, untold story of how beer helped create maths, poetry, Pyramids, modern medicine, labor laws and America.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I don't understand all the boosters and homers that say Buffalo is a great beer town. There's only two brewpubs in the area, Pearl Street and Buffalo Brewpub, and neither bottle their suds. The only area microbrewery, the struggling Flying Bison, has a virtually nonexistent distribution network; six packs in a few stores, on tap in maybe 20 restaurants and bars in the Elmwood Village neighborhood, and that's it. (The homers go gaga over Flying Bison Rusty Chain because OMG BIKES! AUTHENTICITY!, despite mediocre reviews.) Buffalo Brewing, a microbrewery whose beers you didn't have to seek out like the Holy Frigging Grail, failed about 10 years ago.

In every city I've lived in, I could find tons of local micros in the local grocery store. In Buffalo, there's no locally brewed beer on the shelves. The closest I find are products from Ellicottville Brewing and Southern Tier (Jamestown), both widely available beyond the region. Southern Tier seems to be emerging as Upstate New York's answer to New Belgium.

Maybe Buffalo was a great beer town in 1955. Now? Meh. The beer scene is pathetic for a city its size. There's retail establishments with a great selection of beer, without a doubt, but not much fermentation is taking place in the region.

The store shelves in Ithaca are much like those in Buffalo. Plenty of Northeastern and New England micros, plenty from the Rocky Mountain region and West Coast, but almost nothing from flyover country except Goose Island and Great Lakes, and zip, zilch, nada from the South. At least unlike Buffalo, there's a thriving brewing scene in town.

Registered
    May 2005
    I hope everyone is stocked up for the Groundhog Day Dump!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Discovery Channel show - How Beer Saved the World
    I saw part of that show. Beer is the cornerstone for antibiotics, math and written language!! Woot!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I hope everyone is stocked up for the Groundhog Day Dump!!
    You'll need a good cold weather brew when you're snowed in. So far my favorite this year has been the Founder's Breakfast Stout. It's like the best chocolate oatmeal cookie ever made was magically turned to beer.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    You'll need a good cold weather brew when you're snowed in. So far my favorite this year has been the Founder's Breakfast Stout. It's like the best chocolate oatmeal cookie ever made was magically turned to beer.
    Nice. Plus- it's made for drinking at breakfast. Yay!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=K-Rs6YEZAt8

Pretty nice graphics for a beer commercial
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.-- William H. Whyte..

+ Reply to thread
Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 2:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 2:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73