Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 48 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1699

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Getting the pub brew system up and running again.

Pics of system in my gallery along with some of this years Hops harvest!

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/album...&pictureid=137

What do I have to do to actually post the pic?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Looks like I have a new quest.
    Acquire a bottle of White House Honey Ale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Honey_Ale
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Guess what they sell here. Some good stuff in Berkeley CA.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I am not sure if someone posted this before, but a local (and newer) microbrewery here in GR opened up and they don’t bottle their beer… they can it. The idea seems so foreign to me mainly because I have always been a bottle beer drinker and enough of a beer snob that I would drink water over many kinds of light beers often served in a can (think Bush Light)…

But there is discussion about the UV rays causing bottle beer to go bad and that canned beer is cheaper to ship and less likely to break. There is also the argument that it maintains temperature better… or so I am told.

But does it result in a better beer? The beer is good out of the tap, but I have not been able to bring myself to buy a 4-pack… Partly because of the price, partly because it’s in a can!

What are your thoughts on the bottle vs. can debate?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I love this time of year! There are so many seasonal brews to try, and I started last month with these:

Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin

St. Arnold's Oktoberfest

Shiner Oktoberfest

Nevada Ale Brown Nut Tumbler*

All four get a thumb's up, but the Pumpkin Ale is the bestest of the bunch.

*Not sure this is the correct name, but you get the idea.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I am not sure if someone posted this before, but a local (and newer) microbrewery here in GR opened up and they don’t bottle their beer… they can it. The idea seems so foreign to me mainly because I have always been a bottle beer drinker and enough of a beer snob that I would drink water over many kinds of light beers often served in a can (think Bush Light)…

But there is discussion about the UV rays causing bottle beer to go bad and that canned beer is cheaper to ship and less likely to break. There is also the argument that it maintains temperature better… or so I am told.

But does it result in a better beer? The beer is good out of the tap, but I have not been able to bring myself to buy a 4-pack… Partly because of the price, partly because it’s in a can!

What are your thoughts on the bottle vs. can debate?

More and more you'll see canned micro-brewed beer it the nongrocery store places. Part of it is its easier to take camping than bottles, or to the pool - but I bet price of canning is cheaper. Next time I head to Total Wine & Beer, I'll get a list or pic.

I've had Dale's Pale & Old Chub in cans and its good.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    More and more you'll see canned micro-brewed beer it the nongrocery store places. Part of it is its easier to take camping than bottles, or to the pool - but I bet price of canning is cheaper. Next time I head to Total Wine & Beer, I'll get a list or pic.

I've had Dale's Pale & Old Chub in cans and its good.
    A lot of breweries have shifted or are shifting to canning now. I love it. I tend to pour beer into glasses anyways unless I am doing some sort of outside activity- in which case cans are better. Cans are easier to recycle also. I heard it was something to do with the liners in the cans- the technology changed somehow leading to beer in cans that didn't have any of the disadvantages of old canned beer?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Recent pickups:

New Belgium Hoptober
    Bootlegger's Old World Hefewiezen

I've been trying to find either Southern Tier's or Dogfish Head's pumpkin ale. Never had one before so I'm kind of excited

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I had Heavy Seas (Maryland) Brewing's "the Big DIPA" last night. It's a Double IPA from what they are calling their Mutiny Fleet of beers and ales - which are brewed in small batches. ABV is 10.6% and it tasted more like a barleywine than an IPA. The hoppy taste was not prominent.

Tonight's ale of choice is going to be Southern Tier's "Imperial Black Ale"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    At lunchtime I discovered a local establishment that has North Coast Brewery beers on tap.

On an unrelated note... At lunchtime I discovered that Brother Thelonius Belgian Style Abbey Ale is not a lunchtime beer.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    At lunchtime I discovered a local establishment that has North Coast Brewery beers on tap.

On an unrelated note... At lunchtime I discovered that Brother Thelonius Belgian Style Abbey Ale is not a lunchtime beer.
    North Coast is great. And yes, that's a rather heavy beer. Their pilsner is a great refreshing lunchtime beer though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    A local grocery store was closing our the higher end beers this weekend and selling them for 1/2 price. I went a little stupid and bought 96 beers, but saved quite abit.

What a way to celebrate the anniversary of the 21st Amendment (end of prohibition).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Anyone been following the story on Billy Busch and the beer ("Kraftig")he hopes to compete with the macros?
    I'm kind of on the fence about this; on the one hand I like to see the macros get challenged any way they can, but otoh if it's just going to be another macro-style brew that's really not an improvement in the state of American beer, is it?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We've been toasting the New Years with specialty beers & ales for the last several years. This year we broke out Dogfish Head's Pangaea.

Brewed with ingredients from each and every continent, Pangaea is a slightly spicy ale with a mouthful of rich flavors. The list of worldly ingredients includes:
    Crystallized ginger from Australia
    Water from Antarctica
    Basmati rice from Asia
    Muscavado sugar from Africa
    Quinoa from South America
    Yeast from European
    Maize from North American

It's not over the top with a ABV of 7.0% and very tasty.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Anyone been following the story on Billy Busch and the beer ("Kraftig")he hopes to compete with the macros?
    I'm kind of on the fence about this; on the one hand I like to see the macros get challenged any way they can, but otoh if it's just going to be another macro-style brew that's really not an improvement in the state of American beer, is it?
    Another watered down lager? I am also on the fence to be honest. More beer is always good - even if us craft snobs are not the target market. Realistically the majority of the beer drinking American public enjoys their macro lagers and pilsners. Having another option is probably good BUT the majority of the beer drinking american public also has pretty solid beer brand loyalty. Is the guy who has been drinking Coors his whole life suddenly going to switch? Probably not. So, IMO an interesting business strategy.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Not easy to find in this neck of the woods, but if you can get Bells HopSlam, buy it, drink it, enjoy it.

Our local brewpub got one keg of it and was tapped at 4:30 and lasted until 7:00 (they also have 26 other taps). Kinda expensive at $6.50 a pint, but well worth it. It was like a strong IPA, but not over the top hoppy.

You Michiganders ought to be able to get it without too much problems.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Not easy to find in this neck of the woods, but if you can get Bells HopSlam, buy it, drink it, enjoy it.

Our local brewpub got one keg of it and was tapped at 4:30 and lasted until 7:00 (they also have 26 other taps). Kinda expensive at $6.50 a pint, but well worth it. It was like a strong IPA, but not over the top hoppy.

You Michiganders ought to be able to get it without too much problems.
    If interested in a trade, let me know. I'm already sending out one six-pack to a friend either tomorrow or Saturday. I'm not the biggest fan, and have yet to crack the ones I bought for myself, but I've heard from a few folks that this year's supply is better tasting than recent years.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    If interested in a trade, let me know. I'm already sending out one six-pack to a friend either tomorrow or Saturday. I'm not the biggest fan, and have yet to crack the ones I bought for myself, but I've heard from a few folks that this year's supply is better tasting than recent years.
    I've got a six-pack to be held at the good beer store when they get it (waiting the call). However, will do a trade with you. What your pleasure? PM me with details.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    For you home-brewers and/or home bar folks who would like to add a little personality to your taps, check out this website. .

Custom Beer Taps
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004

Favorite Springtime Beer(s)

I love springtime!

St. Arnold's Spring Bock is available on the shelves. I buy a 6-pack every time I'm at the store. LOVE this stuff! I'm a huge fan of St. Arnold's to begin with, but the Spring Bock is the best. Close second: Lawnmower

New brewery in Ft. Worth has a selection available at local stores. Rahr & Sons Amber Ale is tasty, and my cousin likes their Ugly Pug. They have a blonde/wheat line, and that's on my list to try.

Shiner also has some good springtime beers. I should probably spread the beer money around and buy some of their springtime brew, but I'm so estactic over Spring Bock being available again that I just haven't gotten around to it.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The fridge was starting to look a little bare, so it was time to take a trip to the local beer store.

Let's step inside, shall we?

Turn around.

The Belgian Aisle.

Our local.

The Town Next Door.

The Mitten State is represented somewhat.

Oh Maister?

Nothing but Mikkeller pictured here. Considering how much his beers cost, there's got to be at least $10K in beer in that photo.

Cider.

They keep the swill in back, where it belongs.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Dan, you're making me drooooooooooollllll

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Damn. I'm jealous.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    That looks like a fun store to widen the palate a bit. MW would be in heaven in the cider section.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    New Belgium brewing is coming to Michigan this year!

New Belgium signs with 22 distributors, will enter Michigan in late August

Party at WSU MUP Student's place in late August!

+ Reply to thread
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 48 57 58 59 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73