+ Reply to thread
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1686

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I don't generally enjoy going to weddings but if more folks held them at breweries and brewpubs, my attitude towards them might change pretty quickly...
    I'd suffer through a 20 minute service for an open bar at a brewpub!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You drink much Atwater?
    Not anymore. I used to work right across the street from their brewery so would go in there for lunch quite often. But I rarely buy their stuff from the grocery store since I prefer most Bells, Shorts, or Founders beers. They do have a few varieties that I really like though (their Mai-Bock, Kolsch, and Dirty Blonde in particular). Is this place owned by the same folks?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Not anymore. I used to work right across the street from their brewery so would go in there for lunch quite often. But I rarely buy their stuff from the grocery store since I prefer most Bells, Shorts, or Founders beers. They do have a few varieties that I really like though (their Mai-Bock, Kolsch, and Dirty Blonde in particular). Is this place owned by the same folks?
    I don't think they're owned by the same folks.
    Perhaps I got a bad batch, but I did not care for Atwater's Kolsch at all. A kolsch is supposed to be a lighter bodied beer but theirs I found to be excessively so. That and it had an odd aftertaste.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm not a huge fan of Atwater, but I think it's just that I like other Michigan brews more.

Now that I have a nice big basement at the new house, I'm going to start brewing beer. I'm a big fan of beer and it's many varieites, but this will be my first foray into home brewing. For those that do this already, what are the 3 top things a beginner home brewer should know?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm not a huge fan of Atwater, but I think it's just that I like other Michigan brews more.

Now that I have a nice big basement at the new house, I'm going to start brewing beer. I'm a big fan of beer and it's many varieites, but this will be my first foray into home brewing. For those that do this already, what are the 3 top things a beginner home brewer should know?
    Clean everything, then clean it again.
    Be patient.
    Clean everything.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

If you haven't done so already, you should check out the Kuhnhenn Brewing in Warren. They used to offer classes and advice on home brewing and I've heard that they are really helpful. Besides taking advantage of their home-brewing assistance, you can also check out their DRIPA which I just discovered recently and may be the best beer I've ever had.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I just found out that Grand Rapids is tied with Asheville NC for Beer City USA.

It does not surprise me much. It seems that every month we hear about another microbrewery opening up someplace in Grand Rapids. Yes, Founders is still downtown, but now it almost seems odd if you go out to eat and they don't have their own beer. I am also looking forward to Grand Rapids Brewing Company reopening in downtown.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Just back from vacation in Montana and Alberta, Canada. The B&B we stayed at offered a free bottle of beer a day as part of their perks. I discovered MOOSE DROOL BROWN ALE from Big Sky Brewing Co. I have to say, that is some dang good beer! I really liked it, and already miss my daily frosty bottle. Combine the availability of great beer and the mountain views, and I'm willing to move.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Just back from vacation in Montana and Alberta, Canada. The B&B we stayed at offered a free bottle of beer a day as part of their perks. I discovered MOOSE DROOL BROWN ALE from Big Sky Brewing Co. I have to say, that is some dang good beer! I really liked it, and already miss my daily frosty bottle. Combine the availability of great beer and the mountain views, and I'm willing to move.
    I've had Moose Drool too and thought it was a good beer. Nowadays, with so many brewers appealing to the hop-head/IPA crowd, it's almost a relief to see folks delving into some brown ales once again. It's been a couple months since I last had it, but I recall it having a medium body and a straightforward maltiness that's hard not to like. Drinking it a little on the warmer side really opened up the flavor and did not reveal any of the balance problems some brewers seem to have with brown ales. It gets two thumbs up
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Tried Porch Rocker from Sam Adams.

Is there anyone who is a fan of a lemonade / beer mixture? It is so bad, I might have to give the other four bottles away. I did have two bottles on two different nights this week as the first bottle was consumed with spicy food and I feared it impacted the flavor of the brew.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Is there anyone who is a fan of a lemonade / beer mixture? It is so bad, I might have to give the other four bottles away. I did have two bottles on two different nights this week as the first bottle was consumed with spicy food and I feared it impacted the flavor of the brew.
    That's just wrong on so many levels. I think this country needs a beer purity like Germany has.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Thats a "Shanty" and I'll tell you one thing, that will not be drank by me again.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Gotta' love any beer that is described as "blackest" and "viscous".

Seriously, though, bought a bunch of wheats and sessions to try in the coming weeks. I'll keep you posted.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Has anyone else tried the special glasses from Sam Adams. I had a Boston Lager in one the other day, and I was actually surprised at how fresh it tasted. It might be mental, but it was enjoyable.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Has anyone else tried the special glasses from Sam Adams. I had a Boston Lager in one the other day, and I was actually surprised at how fresh it tasted. It might be mental, but it was enjoyable.
    I have one at the house and use it now and then. "Tis a fine drinking vessel.

Registered
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    That's just wrong on so many levels. I think this country needs a beer purity like Germany has.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Thats a "Shanty" and I'll tell you one thing, that will not be drank by me again.

I know it's sacrilegious, but I actually enjoy a shandy every now and then. Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is my shandy of choice and my go to beer when I am at Comerica Park for baseball games and it's hot out or on a summer afternoon after I have been working in the yard.

Registered
    May 2005
    I know it's sacrilegious, but I actually enjoy a shandy every now and then. Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is my shandy of choice and my go to beer when I am at Comerica Park for baseball games and it's hot out or on a summer afternoon after I have been working in the yard.
    I agree. I also enjoy Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I will third the Leinenkugel summer shandy (I've never had any other type of shandy). A thirst quenching drink if ever there was.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Has anyone tried Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale?

Registered
    May 2005
    Fresh back from a two week trip to Belize and am craving Belikin Beer. Its brewed there and is essentially the national beer (though they also bottle Guinness there for local consumption). They make a lager and a stout, distinguishable mainly by the different color cap. If you go into any establishment and ask for a “beer” this is what you get (the lager). Its nothing fancy. Its not a handcrafted artisan beer. Its just a delicious, 3.5% (6% for the stout!) refreshing beer perfectly suited for the sweltering tropical environment. And maybe a side of rice and beans and stew chicken.

But evidently you can’t get it anywhere in the US except California. Frownie face…
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    For those who like a dark ales, Duck Rabbit Brewery out of Farmville, NC is the best. They specialize in darker varieties like stouts, browns, porters, etc. They recently distributed "Hoppy Bunny ABA" and american black ale that is very, very good. Definitely worth a 6-pack or two. I know beach_bum & Tide shouldn't have a problem finding it, but dandy might.

http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9790/80673

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Had a housewarming party this past weekend and was lucky enough to be left with about 14 bottles of wine and about 50 beers left over, of many different varieties.

Theakstons Old Peculiar is probably the best of the bunch, but also got left with some Four Peaks Kiltlifter (an Arizona favorite), a Wychwood Hobgoblin, some Guinness, some Sam Adams Boston Lager, ACE Pear Cider, and some beers that will likely be given away or used for the next time I make brats (Bud Light Limes, etc.).

I HIGHLY recommend the Old Peculiar if you haven't tried it and enjoy a strong ale.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My dad bought my Hubby some Innis and Gunn oak barrel aged beer for Father's Day. They both seemed to enjoy it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    WTF? Bottle Beer in a dead stuffed squirrel?

LINK because it is too bizarre not to share.

A beer served in bottles made from stuffed animals has been criticised as "perverse" and "pushing the boundaries of acceptability".

Registered
    Mar 2005
    WTF? Bottle Beer in a dead stuffed squirrel?

LINK because it is too bizarre not to share.
    55% abv baby!

+ Reply to thread
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73