Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1683

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Picked up a 6-pack of this over the weekend:

Quite tasty! It says it's made with toasted coconut - and I love coconut! - but I can barely taste it. It's a generally good beer, and is definately better colder.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I was in Boston a few weeks back and really enjoyed Allagash from Portland Maine. I checked and it is not available in my area. I did not like it enough to ship it back but enjoyed it enough to check their website to see if it was sold in my area. Also, I got to try Narragansett ...from what I understand its the PBR of New England.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Drinking a 24 ounce can of Genesee Beer. 99¢ at Wegmans.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Drinking a 24 ounce can of Genesee Beer. 99¢ at Wegmans.

Boy, doesn't that just make you want to run out and buy some Genesee? I guess they were trying hard back then to establish a strong regional identity with their brand. When I watched the commercial I kept waiting for Mayor Quimby to jump out and say "Chowder? No, it's chowdah...chowdah!"

As an aside note, I saw they had both Genny cream ale and beer in the grocery store last time I was in Frankenmuth. Bought a six pack of both more or less just to say I did.
    Last edited by Maister; 05 Jul 2012 at 8:24 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Also, I got to try Narragansett ...from what I understand its the PBR of New England.
    Gansett', as it's called, is better than Pabst IMO. But similar to PBR in that it's revered by hipster-types who would never drink Bud/Miller/Coors products

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    At least have a few beer bottles for this summer project. Brilliant!
    http://lifehacker.com/5923486/make-i...h-beer-bottles
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Gansett', as it's called, is better than Pabst IMO. But similar to PBR in that it's revered by hipster-types who would never drink Bud/Miller/Coors products
    As long as we're talking old-school beer, I have to admit that right now, I'm drinking a 1960s formula Schlitz. For an American light lager, it's not too bad! A bit on the bitter side, and more complicated than other ALLs. Not quite a lawnmower like Bud or Coors, but a good lounger for a summer night; a nice alternative to a session or wheat.

I'd love to see a revival of lost American local and regional beers from the era. For my hometown, that would include Iroquois, Beck's, Simon Pure, and Phoenix.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Has anyone else tried Brooklyn Brewery's stout recently? I had never even heard of Brooklyn Brewery until a few months ago (but understand they've been brewing for years), but when I recently tried their stout I was quite impressed. I've been on a stout kick lately (I know, shouldn't I be doing this in fall or winter?), my all time fave is Old Rasputin Russian Imperial, but there are many other great stouts out there including Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Sheaf (haven't seen this Australian brew on the shelves in a while - wonder why?), and of course Guinness. What are some of your favorite stouts?

btw Dan I am of much the same mind where old school Schlitz is concerned; different engouh from most ALL's to set it a little apart, but still quite accessible.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Has anyone else tried Brooklyn Brewery's stout recently? I had never even heard of Brooklyn Brewery until a few months ago (but understand they've been brewing for years), but when I recently tried their stout I was quite impressed. I've been on a stout kick lately (I know, shouldn't I be doing this in fall or winter?), my all time fave is Old Rasputin Russian Imperial, but there are many other great stouts out there including Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Sheaf (haven't seen this Australian brew on the shelves in a while - wonder why?), and of course Guinness. What are some of your favorite stouts?
    Bell's Kalamazoo Stout and Guinness are my top two.

Much like you, I go with waves of different beers. Sam Adams Lager is my go to beer, but right now, I am into IPA's. As it starts to cool off, I am likely to shift gears into the porter family. A guy this weekend was telling me about a pumpkin porter that he had last fall. Not sure how well that would go over... he did not remember the name, but he said it tasted just like a smooth pumpkin pie.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Speaking of old school beers, the last time I had Rhinelander was around 1983. What made this the ultimate summertime-irrigate-your-innards beer was the fact that it was not very carbonated. One could accordingly place a cold one against one's forehead and proceed to chug obscene quantities. It hasn't been on the shelves for years locally but I guess they still make Rhinelander....anyone had it recently? Is it the same beer I remember from my youth?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Was in the Detroit area last week and had the new King Helles Double Lager at the Royal Oak Brewery. Excellent. I give it a two taps up.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Was in the Detroit area last week and had the new King Helles Double Lager at the Royal Oak Brewery. Excellent. I give it a two taps up.
    That's a good place to have a beer. It was on the Royal Oak Beer Stroll list last September. I will be making the stroll an annual occasion.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    That's a good place to have a beer. It was on the Royal Oak Beer Stroll list last September. I will be making the stroll an annual occasion.
    Personally, I've never been real impressed with Royal Oak Brewery. Bastone usually has the better brew IMO. That being said, I wouldn't turn down Royal Oak and, in fact, we used to go there quite often because they have a shuttle to Tiger games so we would ride our bikes from our Apartments at Crooks and Big Beaver, drink at the bar in Royal Oak and get a free ride to and from the game and then have a couple more beers before riding back home (or occasionally walking out bicycles for safety's sake).

The best beer I've had from Royal Oak Brewery was a java porter that they do on occasion in conjunction with Chazzano Coffee in Ferndale - the place with the best coffee that I've had in Metro Detroit.

A beer stroll sounds like a good idea. I may have to keep an eye out if they do one this year as well...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Personally, I've never been real impressed with Royal Oak Brewery. Bastone usually has the better brew IMO. That being said, I wouldn't turn down Royal Oak and, in fact, we used to go there quite often because they have a shuttle to Tiger games so we would ride our bikes from our Apartments at Crooks and Big Beaver, drink at the bar in Royal Oak and get a free ride to and from the game and then have a couple more beers before riding back home (or occasionally walking out bicycles for safety's sake).

The best beer I've had from Royal Oak Brewery was a java porter that they do on occasion in conjunction with Chazzano Coffee in Ferndale - the place with the best coffee that I've had in Metro Detroit.

A beer stroll sounds like a good idea. I may have to keep an eye out if they do one this year as well...
    I like the atmosphere more than the beer. My brother-in-law, step-father-in-law and I did the Beer Stroll last year. $30 ticket got you 2 beer samples and 2 food samples at about 25 bars/restaurants. We got started late and were rushing through. A lot of the places gave you more than just a sample of beers though, and most of the beers were IPAs, dark lagers, stouts, etc. so I was pretty full by the time we were done. This year, we voweed to start early so we can pace ourselves
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2003

Michigan Brewing Company/Celis

Suprised I didn't see anything posted about MBC going down. Loved Celis Gran Cru and White; both world class in their style. MBC Imperial IPA and Stout were great. They also had a pretty good home brew supply store.

Went to a lake party yesterday and stopped at a Meijer and found a six of Celis White. Look's like my last six. Guess the Lansing location is staying open. Don't know how that is working out.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Registered
    Mar 2003

MI Brewer's Guild Summer Festival

Anyone going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Festival July 27 & 28th, in Ypsi? My third year in a row. Hopefully we don't get bad showers like the previous two years, you had to wade in storm water to get refills.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mark View post
    Anyone going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Festival July 27 & 28th, in Ypsi? My third year in a row. Hopefully we don't get bad showers like the previous two years, you had to wade in storm water to get refills.
    I currently have a schedule conflict but am trying like heck to resolve it (and by 'resolve' I mean go to the Brewer's Guild Festival instead of that stupid family obligation).

This past weekend was a glorious one for beer consumption. I tried over a dozen different positively yummy beers. The most noteworthy IMO was brewed by Founders....I loved their Kentucky Breakfast Stout, it was awesomeness incarnate. There's a noticeable bourbon taste going on (you just know it was aged in old Kentucky bourbon barrels) as well as coffee and chocolate goin' on. Truly a stout for the ages. Like its name suggests, this is a good one to eat for breakfast!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Since we like commenting on certifications, their value and merits -

here is one for you -
    What is a Cicerone?

The word Cicerone (pronounced sis-uh-rohn) has been chosen to designate those with proven expertise in selecting, acquiring and serving today’s wide range of beers. The titles “Certified Cicerone®” and “Master Cicerone®” are protected certification trademarks. Only those who have passed the requisite test of knowledge and tasting skill can call themselves a Cicerone.
    http://www.cicerone.org/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Suprised I didn't see anything posted about MBC going down. Loved Celis Gran Cru and White; both world class in their style. MBC Imperial IPA and Stout were great. They also had a pretty good home brew supply store.

Went to a lake party yesterday and stopped at a Meijer and found a six of Celis White. Look's like my last six. Guess the Lansing location is staying open. Don't know how that is working out.
    The brewery closed, they had an auction early July. Apparently MillerCoors bought most of it including brands and equipment. The restuarant in downtown may still be open, not sure.

Quote Originally posted by Mark
    I've gone to the winter one a few times, never the summer one. Planned on it last year but it was too darn hot. I would love to get to the UP festival some September.

I said before Dark Horse was my favorite. Now, even more so after I heard this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1630986.html

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wanted to go each of the past couple of years and always had something else I had to do that particular weekend. This year I am free both days but my normal drinking partner for this type of event is currently touring the MLB stadiums of the Midwest (jerk). I am still considering going tomorrow though if I can convince another friend to go with me. I've heard that the summer one in Ypsi is always a pretty good time but that the crowds have gotten VERY large over the past few years and some of the brewers will run out of their stuff fairly quickly. Any truth to those rumors?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Devoted this past weekend to all the great brews by Great Lakes Brewing Co. My favorite non-seasonal brew has to be their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. I also give them props for not overdoing the finishing hops in their IPA (I forget what it was called).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    HAPPY IPA DAY (Link for more info) I plan to celebrate tonight with a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA... or two.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I'm sad to hear about Celis going down. I actually have a Celis Grand Cru sitting in my fridge right now. I guess once I drink it I'll have to save the bottle for nostalgia.

I heard mention of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (or KBS as it's sometimes known). GREAT stuff. One of the best beers I've ever had, in fact. Right up there with Dark Lord Imperial Stout.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I heard mention of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (or KBS as it's sometimes known). GREAT stuff. One of the best beers I've ever had, in fact. Right up there with Dark Lord Imperial Stout.

I've had both KBS and CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout). Although both were very good, I can't say they would be favorites. Once in a while, sitting on the deck in a cool evening does work fine.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I'm sad to hear about Celis going down. I actually have a Celis Grand Cru sitting in my fridge right now. I guess once I drink it I'll have to save the bottle for nostalgia.

In my comments up-thread you can see I too think Founder's KBS is an awesome beer. If I'm not mistaken, I think Founders won 'best beer' with it in some prestigous beer competition.

+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73