Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1683

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

  1. #1501
    Cyburbian Plus Salmissra's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,061
    Picked up a 6-pack of this over the weekend:



    Quite tasty! It says it's made with toasted coconut - and I love coconut! - but I can barely taste it. It's a generally good beer, and is definately better colder.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

  2. #1502
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    I was in Boston a few weeks back and really enjoyed Allagash from Portland Maine. I checked and it is not available in my area. I did not like it enough to ship it back but enjoyed it enough to check their website to see if it was sold in my area. Also, I got to try Narragansett ...from what I understand its the PBR of New England.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  3. #1503
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,514
    Blog entries
    3
    Drinking a 24 ounce can of Genesee Beer. 99¢ at Wegmans.

    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  4. #1504
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,533
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Drinking a 24 ounce can of Genesee Beer. 99¢ at Wegmans.

    Boy, doesn't that just make you want to run out and buy some Genesee? I guess they were trying hard back then to establish a strong regional identity with their brand. When I watched the commercial I kept waiting for Mayor Quimby to jump out and say "Chowder? No, it's chowdah...chowdah!"

    As an aside note, I saw they had both Genny cream ale and beer in the grocery store last time I was in Frankenmuth. Bought a six pack of both more or less just to say I did.
    Last edited by Maister; 05 Jul 2012 at 8:24 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  5. #1505
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Also, I got to try Narragansett ...from what I understand its the PBR of New England.
    Gansett', as it's called, is better than Pabst IMO. But similar to PBR in that it's revered by hipster-types who would never drink Bud/Miller/Coors products

  6. #1506
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,932
    At least have a few beer bottles for this summer project. Brilliant!
    http://lifehacker.com/5923486/make-i...h-beer-bottles
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  7. #1507
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,514
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Gansett', as it's called, is better than Pabst IMO. But similar to PBR in that it's revered by hipster-types who would never drink Bud/Miller/Coors products
    As long as we're talking old-school beer, I have to admit that right now, I'm drinking a 1960s formula Schlitz. For an American light lager, it's not too bad! A bit on the bitter side, and more complicated than other ALLs. Not quite a lawnmower like Bud or Coors, but a good lounger for a summer night; a nice alternative to a session or wheat.

    I'd love to see a revival of lost American local and regional beers from the era. For my hometown, that would include Iroquois, Beck's, Simon Pure, and Phoenix.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  8. #1508
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,533
    Has anyone else tried Brooklyn Brewery's stout recently? I had never even heard of Brooklyn Brewery until a few months ago (but understand they've been brewing for years), but when I recently tried their stout I was quite impressed. I've been on a stout kick lately (I know, shouldn't I be doing this in fall or winter?), my all time fave is Old Rasputin Russian Imperial, but there are many other great stouts out there including Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Sheaf (haven't seen this Australian brew on the shelves in a while - wonder why?), and of course Guinness. What are some of your favorite stouts?

    btw Dan I am of much the same mind where old school Schlitz is concerned; different engouh from most ALL's to set it a little apart, but still quite accessible.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  9. #1509
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    11,960
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Has anyone else tried Brooklyn Brewery's stout recently? I had never even heard of Brooklyn Brewery until a few months ago (but understand they've been brewing for years), but when I recently tried their stout I was quite impressed. I've been on a stout kick lately (I know, shouldn't I be doing this in fall or winter?), my all time fave is Old Rasputin Russian Imperial, but there are many other great stouts out there including Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Sheaf (haven't seen this Australian brew on the shelves in a while - wonder why?), and of course Guinness. What are some of your favorite stouts?
    Bell's Kalamazoo Stout and Guinness are my top two.

    Much like you, I go with waves of different beers. Sam Adams Lager is my go to beer, but right now, I am into IPA's. As it starts to cool off, I am likely to shift gears into the porter family. A guy this weekend was telling me about a pumpkin porter that he had last fall. Not sure how well that would go over... he did not remember the name, but he said it tasted just like a smooth pumpkin pie.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  10. #1510
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,533
    Speaking of old school beers, the last time I had Rhinelander was around 1983. What made this the ultimate summertime-irrigate-your-innards beer was the fact that it was not very carbonated. One could accordingly place a cold one against one's forehead and proceed to chug obscene quantities. It hasn't been on the shelves for years locally but I guess they still make Rhinelander....anyone had it recently? Is it the same beer I remember from my youth?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  11. #1511
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,258
    Was in the Detroit area last week and had the new King Helles Double Lager at the Royal Oak Brewery. Excellent. I give it a two taps up.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  12. #1512
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Was in the Detroit area last week and had the new King Helles Double Lager at the Royal Oak Brewery. Excellent. I give it a two taps up.
    That's a good place to have a beer. It was on the Royal Oak Beer Stroll list last September. I will be making the stroll an annual occasion.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  13. #1513
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,465
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Was in the Detroit area last week and had the new King Helles Double Lager at the Royal Oak Brewery. Excellent. I give it a two taps up.
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    That's a good place to have a beer. It was on the Royal Oak Beer Stroll list last September. I will be making the stroll an annual occasion.
    Personally, I've never been real impressed with Royal Oak Brewery. Bastone usually has the better brew IMO. That being said, I wouldn't turn down Royal Oak and, in fact, we used to go there quite often because they have a shuttle to Tiger games so we would ride our bikes from our Apartments at Crooks and Big Beaver, drink at the bar in Royal Oak and get a free ride to and from the game and then have a couple more beers before riding back home (or occasionally walking out bicycles for safety's sake).

    The best beer I've had from Royal Oak Brewery was a java porter that they do on occasion in conjunction with Chazzano Coffee in Ferndale - the place with the best coffee that I've had in Metro Detroit.

    A beer stroll sounds like a good idea. I may have to keep an eye out if they do one this year as well...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  14. #1514
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Personally, I've never been real impressed with Royal Oak Brewery. Bastone usually has the better brew IMO. That being said, I wouldn't turn down Royal Oak and, in fact, we used to go there quite often because they have a shuttle to Tiger games so we would ride our bikes from our Apartments at Crooks and Big Beaver, drink at the bar in Royal Oak and get a free ride to and from the game and then have a couple more beers before riding back home (or occasionally walking out bicycles for safety's sake).

    The best beer I've had from Royal Oak Brewery was a java porter that they do on occasion in conjunction with Chazzano Coffee in Ferndale - the place with the best coffee that I've had in Metro Detroit.

    A beer stroll sounds like a good idea. I may have to keep an eye out if they do one this year as well...
    I like the atmosphere more than the beer. My brother-in-law, step-father-in-law and I did the Beer Stroll last year. $30 ticket got you 2 beer samples and 2 food samples at about 25 bars/restaurants. We got started late and were rushing through. A lot of the places gave you more than just a sample of beers though, and most of the beers were IPAs, dark lagers, stouts, etc. so I was pretty full by the time we were done. This year, we voweed to start early so we can pace ourselves
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  15. #1515
    Cyburbian Mark's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    151

    Michigan Brewing Company/Celis

    Suprised I didn't see anything posted about MBC going down. Loved Celis Gran Cru and White; both world class in their style. MBC Imperial IPA and Stout were great. They also had a pretty good home brew supply store.

    Went to a lake party yesterday and stopped at a Meijer and found a six of Celis White. Look's like my last six. Guess the Lansing location is staying open. Don't know how that is working out.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

  16. #1516
    Cyburbian Mark's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    151

    MI Brewer's Guild Summer Festival

    Anyone going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Festival July 27 & 28th, in Ypsi? My third year in a row. Hopefully we don't get bad showers like the previous two years, you had to wade in storm water to get refills.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

  17. #1517
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,533
    Quote Originally posted by Mark View post
    Anyone going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Festival July 27 & 28th, in Ypsi? My third year in a row. Hopefully we don't get bad showers like the previous two years, you had to wade in storm water to get refills.
    I currently have a schedule conflict but am trying like heck to resolve it (and by 'resolve' I mean go to the Brewer's Guild Festival instead of that stupid family obligation).

    This past weekend was a glorious one for beer consumption. I tried over a dozen different positively yummy beers. The most noteworthy IMO was brewed by Founders....I loved their Kentucky Breakfast Stout, it was awesomeness incarnate. There's a noticeable bourbon taste going on (you just know it was aged in old Kentucky bourbon barrels) as well as coffee and chocolate goin' on. Truly a stout for the ages. Like its name suggests, this is a good one to eat for breakfast!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  18. #1518
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,494
    Since we like commenting on certifications, their value and merits -

    here is one for you -
    What is a Cicerone?

    The word Cicerone (pronounced sis-uh-rohn) has been chosen to designate those with proven expertise in selecting, acquiring and serving today’s wide range of beers. The titles “Certified Cicerone®” and “Master Cicerone®” are protected certification trademarks. Only those who have passed the requisite test of knowledge and tasting skill can call themselves a Cicerone.
    http://www.cicerone.org/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  19. #1519
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,141
    Quote Originally posted by Mark View post
    Suprised I didn't see anything posted about MBC going down. Loved Celis Gran Cru and White; both world class in their style. MBC Imperial IPA and Stout were great. They also had a pretty good home brew supply store.

    Went to a lake party yesterday and stopped at a Meijer and found a six of Celis White. Look's like my last six. Guess the Lansing location is staying open. Don't know how that is working out.
    The brewery closed, they had an auction early July. Apparently MillerCoors bought most of it including brands and equipment. The restuarant in downtown may still be open, not sure.

    Quote Originally posted by Mark
    Anyone going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Festival July 27 & 28th, in Ypsi? My third year in a row. Hopefully we don't get bad showers like the previous two years, you had to wade in storm water to get refills.
    I've gone to the winter one a few times, never the summer one. Planned on it last year but it was too darn hot. I would love to get to the UP festival some September.

    I said before Dark Horse was my favorite. Now, even more so after I heard this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1630986.html

  20. #1520
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,465
    Quote Originally posted by Mark View post
    Anyone going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Festival July 27 & 28th, in Ypsi? My third year in a row. Hopefully we don't get bad showers like the previous two years, you had to wade in storm water to get refills.
    I wanted to go each of the past couple of years and always had something else I had to do that particular weekend. This year I am free both days but my normal drinking partner for this type of event is currently touring the MLB stadiums of the Midwest (jerk). I am still considering going tomorrow though if I can convince another friend to go with me. I've heard that the summer one in Ypsi is always a pretty good time but that the crowds have gotten VERY large over the past few years and some of the brewers will run out of their stuff fairly quickly. Any truth to those rumors?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  21. #1521
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,533
    Devoted this past weekend to all the great brews by Great Lakes Brewing Co. My favorite non-seasonal brew has to be their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. I also give them props for not overdoing the finishing hops in their IPA (I forget what it was called).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  22. #1522
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    11,960
    HAPPY IPA DAY (Link for more info) I plan to celebrate tonight with a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA... or two.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  23. #1523
    Cyburbian Rygor's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Posts
    2,203
    I'm sad to hear about Celis going down. I actually have a Celis Grand Cru sitting in my fridge right now. I guess once I drink it I'll have to save the bottle for nostalgia.

    I heard mention of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (or KBS as it's sometimes known). GREAT stuff. One of the best beers I've ever had, in fact. Right up there with Dark Lord Imperial Stout.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

  24. #1524
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I heard mention of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (or KBS as it's sometimes known). GREAT stuff. One of the best beers I've ever had, in fact. Right up there with Dark Lord Imperial Stout.

    I've had both KBS and CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout). Although both were very good, I can't say they would be favorites. Once in a while, sitting on the deck in a cool evening does work fine.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  25. #1525
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,533
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I'm sad to hear about Celis going down. I actually have a Celis Grand Cru sitting in my fridge right now. I guess once I drink it I'll have to save the bottle for nostalgia.

    I heard mention of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (or KBS as it's sometimes known). GREAT stuff. One of the best beers I've ever had, in fact. Right up there with Dark Lord Imperial Stout.
    In my comments up-thread you can see I too think Founder's KBS is an awesome beer. If I'm not mistaken, I think Founders won 'best beer' with it in some prestigous beer competition.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 02 Jul 2011, 9:24 PM
  4. The TEMPORARY Beer Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Nov 2008, 10:39 AM
  5. The Termporary Beer Thread [Temp 2]
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 48
    Last post: 29 Jan 2005, 12:26 AM