Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1699

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Mar 2007
    New Belgium Beers are finally available here in Michigan. Now if we could only get Russian River beers here...

(the label on the Fat Tire reads "Peddling straight to the Great Lake State")
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This is such a great article I just had to post it here:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d..._the_job_.html

How bad-ass is this:
    At the bar in the early morning hours, a “Miner’s Breakfast” could be ordered: two raw eggs dropped into a glass of beer after being cracked on the rim. The miner would first gulp a shot of whiskey and then soothe his burning throat by chugging the raw egg and beer concoction. Then, it was off to the mines.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Beer-Glass Shape Determines How Fast (and Much) We Drink
    Read more at http://www.counselheal.com/articles/...6w2s8W4QXx1.99
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The summer season is coming to an end and the bright blue six-pack carriers of Oberon will no longer be on the store sleves. Already appearring are the pumpkin ales and oktoberfest beers. Me thinks its time for another Beer Exchange...maybe Oktoberfest beers only exchange?

WSU are you in the mood to run the exchange since you have the previous participants information?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    A while back I was cleaning out the kitchen and went through my several pint glasses. In the mix was one from Anderson Valley Brewing. Their logo features a bear with antlers and I immediately thought of our own Bear (I also sent him the glass).

Last night at one of my favorite watering holes, the featured brewery was Anderson Valley. What a coincidence with the loss of our Bear this morning. Anyway I was going to post here eariler, but the sad news made me forget until now.

If you get a chance to try Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin do it. It's a 7% IPA and I first thought it would be an over the top hoopy brew. Quite the contrary. It is a very pleasant beer - think Bells Two-Hearted Pale and it's close.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The summer season is coming to an end and the bright blue six-pack carriers of Oberon will no longer be on the store sleves. Already appearring are the pumpkin ales and oktoberfest beers. Me thinks its time for another Beer Exchange...maybe Oktoberfest beers only exchange?

WSU are you in the mood to run the exchange since you have the previous participants information?
    Did you get to the Front Street Brewery when you were in town for the conference? I don't know how well a growler transports however.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Did you get to the Front Street Brewery when you were in town for the conference? I don't know how well a growler transports however.
    Twice actually. I couldn't bring any home drving the guv 'mint car.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Twice actually. I couldn't bring any home drving the guv 'mint car.
    Couldn't bring any home in bottles that is
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Very happy the last few weeks to have fall seasonal beers on the menu. I've had a few St. Arnold's Oktoberfest bottles, some Nut Tumbler Brown Ale, Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale, and will pick up some St. Arnold's Pumkinator this weekend - assuming there's any left on the shelf.

Tried the Shiner Oktoberfest and the St. Arnold's next to each other. While the Shiner verison is good, St. Arnold makes the best.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005

That's a strong brew man

The World’s Strongest Beer Has 65% Alcohol Content

By Casey Chan

If you’re looking for something stronger than a beer… but still want a beer, let me introduce Armageddon by Brewmeister. It’s a beer that’s 65% ABV. You heard that right, it’s 130 proof beer. Sounds delicious!

Beer usually only has 5%-10% ABV so to sip on some brew that’s 65% is really, really ridiculous. Still, Brewmeister promises that Armageddon is delicious:

Despite being 65%, this beer has lots of flavour. It’s slightly sweet, hoppy, malty and retains much of the yeast present during fermentation.

Bottles are conditioned but we recommend people drink this in 35ml measures. So drink with friends to save it going flat.

The beer is made in Scotland and isn’t sold in the US but if you’re lucky, maybe you can sneak one in through the online store. Beer is good and strong beer is even better so I can’t even imagine the greatness of the world’s strongest beer.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Went to the good beer store last evening. As luck would have it, a tasting was going on and I got to sample 5 different beers
    Came home with some nice Scottish Ales, a Winter Warmer and 2 bombers of Double Bastard Ale - a blend of Arrongant Bastard and Lucky Bastrd Ales. This has received some great reviews and I cant wait to open a bottle tonight. I've had Arrongant Bastard before but can never find Lucky Bastard (always seems to be sold out). CHEERS to me!

Double posting again here...

Registered
    Aug 2004
    If you like a taste of peaches in your seasonal brew, try Shiner's Holiday Cheer today!

Haven't been able to find St. Arnold's Pumpkinator on the shelves, so I've stuck with my other St. Arnold's faves and trying some other new/seasonal brews. However, I'm off all alcohol for a while with the dental surgery, so what's left in the fridge will be there a while.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Hi Zoning Goddess!

Ithaca Brewing Company: Cascazilla

While sauntering around the summit, trying to decide which beer to try next, we were beckoned to by the nicest lady. Long, grey hair poking out from under a Patagonia baseball cap, she looked like a woman who drives an old Volvo station wagon and has seen her fair share of Phish shows. “Come drink our beer,” she said. So we asked what we should try. Her decision was snap: “Try Cascazilla. It’s my favorite.”

And so we did, and it became one of our favorites too. The beer poured an elegant red color, with ample carbonation and a light brown head. It smelled like fresh hops and sweet malts. We picked up Cascade hops, which gave it a brilliant, spicy citrus flavor and aroma, with caramel malts giving it a balancing sweetness. It finishes dry. Cascazilla made for an excellent, over-hopped red ale.
    Added to the fridge: sixers of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, Middle Ages Wizard's Winter Ale, Ithaca Cold Front. Middle Ages is probably the geekiest craft brewery around.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2004
    A while back I was cleaning out the kitchen and went through my several pint glasses. In the mix was one from Anderson Valley Brewing. Their logo features a bear with antlers and I immediately thought of our own Bear (I also sent him the glass)..

A Belk! it's bahl hornin!

If you get a chance to try Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin do it. It's a 7% IPA and I first thought it would be an over the top hoopy brew. Quite the contrary. It is a very pleasant beer - think Bells Two-Hearted Pale and it's close.
    I haven't had a Hop Ottin in a few years. I remember hating it but I love Bell's Two-Hearted. I might have to try the hop ottin again.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Sam Adams Holiday Sampler Pack is in stores. Tried their new "White Christmas" blend. It was very smooth wheat ale with a great balance of holiday spices.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    If you like a taste of peaches in your seasonal brew, try Shiner's Holiday Cheer today!

Haven't been able to find St. Arnold's Pumpkinator on the shelves, so I've stuck with my other St. Arnold's faves and trying some other new/seasonal brews. However, I'm off all alcohol for a while with the dental surgery, so what's left in the fridge will be there a while.
    I tried the Shiner's holiday this weekend and really enjoyed it...but Shiner is almost a staple in our house. They make the best black lager I have ever had.

I had St. Arnold's for the first time when I was in Houston a month or so ago and thought all of their beers were great. Too bad they don't distribute to AZ.

Tonight I am meeting Rygor for some 4 Peaks Pumpkin Porter. The funny thing is I don't like pumpkins and I don't like porters but the combination is magical.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Hi Maister...

Last night had a tasting of Left Hand Brewery products out of Longmont, Colorado. They brew a smoked porter called Smoke Jumper. I beleive you would love and on par with your lust for Aecht Schlenkerlas. It's not my pint of choice however.

I enjoyed the 400 Pound Monkey IPA - which was not over hoppy and VERY drinkable. Second on my list was Fade to Black (Vol. 4) Black IPA.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I tried the Shiner's holiday this weekend and really enjoyed it...but Shiner is almost a staple in our house. They make the best black lager I have ever had.
    You mean their "holiday cheer"?

I tried that for the first time last week and liked it too. Nice and citrusy. I don't think I've ever disliked anything made by Shiner.

Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Last night had a tasting of Left Hand Brewery products out of Longmont, Colorado. They brew a smoked porter called Smoke Jumper
    I would be very interested to try that one.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Today, Grand Rapids Brewing Company will open it's door and become the 20th brewery in West Michigan, and the first all organic.
    LINK

"If you go to any of the breweries in town, Hopcat, Founders, Vivant, the new one on the west side called The Mitten, they're all crowded all the time, and in fact, some of them have had problems keeping beer in stock, they are running out of beer they're so busy," Sellers said.
    It has a great location next door to the arena, across the street from B-Dubs, and just a block down from Hopcat. I look forward to checking it out. I even have several Grand Rapids Brewing Company bottles from before prohibition.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A trip to the beer store.

Breakfast beer.

Hi Maister!

Hi Maister!

More geek beer from Middle Ages.

Dude ...

All Mikeller and Brewdog. I know Mikeller beers are well-regarded, but I can't justify spending six or seven bucks on a 12 ounce (355 peace loving, culturally refined European milliliter) bottle. I've had some of his beers before, and was underwhelmed.

Nothing but Belgians. This may sound lowbrow, but Wittekerke is probably in my Top 10 list of all-around utility beers.

Left with a six of Mother's MIlk Stout from Keegan Ales, a 750 of Sunrise Coffee Stout from Cortland Beer Company, and a 750 of Dragonslayer from Middle Ages.

Going to Cleveland for Christmas. Any suggestions for Bell's varietals I should bring back? (Founders is available here in NY.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    A trip to the beer store.

Hi Maister!

Hi Maister!

Going to Cleveland for Christmas. Any suggestions for Bell's varietals I should bring back? (Founders is available here in NY.)
    I just finished a six of Bell's Christmas Ale. I'd give Shiner Christmas Cheer slightly higher marks, but it's definitely worth picking up a six if you can get it.

(BTW it looks like they have an awesome selection at that party store Dan, where'd you take the pics?)
    Last edited by Maister; 16 Dec 2012 at 8:23 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Who amongst us wouldn't want to nurse on a bottle or three of Wailing Wench or Double Wench? I ask you.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Chicken Pad Thai washed down with Shiner Bock, now that's a Sunday night dinner.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Went to a beer tasting put on at my local friendly neighborhood good beer store last night. The tasting was for Innis & Gunn Cask Ales out of Edinburgh, Scotland. Here's the background:

Innis and Gunn was born by accident. A fantastic, delicious accident. It all began when a famous whisky distiller contacted Master Brewer Dougal Sharp to tell him that they wanted to produce an ale-finished whisky. Dougal proposed a special recipe and a special technique. He created a unique ale to impart a smooth, beery character to the oak barrels. This would in turn flavor the maturing whisky. The distillers were delighted that the process worked and the resulting Ale Cask reserve Whisky was a real success.
    It was only many months later, after thousands of gallons of beer had been used to season the oak barrels (then tragically, thrown away), that Dougal received a call that would change everything.
    "You have got to taste this beer that we are pouring away. The workers have sampled it and they say it tastes absolutely delicious," They were right. The first tasting of this 'oak barrel' beer was an unforgettable moment - it was delicious, and had a flavor unlike any beer Dougal had ever tasted. It had been completely transformed by its time in the special barrels used at the distillery.
    Dougal believed so strongly in the potential of this unique discovery that he promptly quit his job to concentrate on perfecting the process and bringing Innis & Gunn to market.
    When the launch came, a whole new oak aged beer style was born. Though many are difficult to find, look for Innis & Gunn beers aged in oak barrels that once held rum, scotch whisky, bourbon, spiced rum, Irish whisky and more.

Just like a smart thirfty scotsman. Ya dunno twrow way gud ale laddies!

We sampled the Original - it has hints of vanilla and toffee and was very drinkable - and Rum Cask - which had a a very smooth tasting finish. I can't wait to find the Irish Whisky Cask. If you can find it, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I went to the recently opened Grand Rapids Brewing Company last Saturday for one.

They only had two of their own brews left on tap but tons of guest brews. I tried their porter. It was very flavorful and smooth. I will go back.

The atmosphere was surprising... nothing like what I expected. A good part of the bar resembled a cross between "Angry Scandinavian Modern" and "1960's European Pop". The walls were a beige color with simple dark brown square trim. The walls had large prints of 1960's European beach style posters advertising GRBC. It also have the European beer garden style seating with long rows of rectangular tables without crossing isles.

I had envisioned 1900 east coast/ Midwest saloon.

+ Reply to thread
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club