Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1683

Thread: The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Drank "The Beast Grand Cru" from Avery Brewing Co. last night. Sipping (yes, that's right sip - it's 16.8% ABV!!!) this Beligian strong dark ale is as close as many will come to having a religious experience. This is not a beer one swills with one's friends watching football games. No, when drinking this ale one should ideally be wearing formal attire, seated on a victorian era chair and intersperse sips by repeatedly holding the snifter up to the light and swirling it in the most pretentious manner possible.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    USA Today Article:What qualifies as craft beer?
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...u-ask/1566338/

HIGHLIGHTS:
    An American craft brewer, defined by the Brewers Association, has an annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less, and no more than 25% of the craft brewery is owned or controlled by an alcoholic beverage industry member that is not a craft brewer. That definition has drawn a hard "us vs. them" line,

If a large brewer has a controlling share of a smaller producing brewery, the brewer is, by definition, not craft, according to the association. The group deems products produced by such breweries as "crafty" beers because they're not labeled as products of large breweries.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Six years ago the EDC I worked for did a loan for a microbrew. It was something we did not publicize for fear of a backlash. The brewery was about to be foreclosed on so the EDC bought out the position to save the jobs and keep the brewery in the downtown. Now the place is expanding and adding a new location.

Now IEDC has developed a webinar on microbrews and economic development.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Does anyone get sick from drinking IPAs or double IPAs? They are my favorite types of beer because of the taste, but as of late I've been noticing that every single time I have one (particularly locally made double IPAs), I get terribly sick to my stomach. Is there something chemically going on here?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    Does anyone get sick from drinking IPAs or double IPAs? They are my favorite types of beer because of the taste, but as of late I've been noticing that every single time I have one (particularly locally made double IPAs), I get terribly sick to my stomach. Is there something chemically going on here?
    Man that sux. Those are my favorites too.

It might have something to do with the extra amount of hops or higher alcohol content. Does your insides feel worse the ABV higher is in the beer? Drink a amber/red or a stout and see if you notice a difference.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Right now I've got a wealth of beer in the fridge. I've got Harp and Guinness leftover from St. Patty's day (the planned get-together got called off), but also have an unopened 12 of Fat Tire, and a handful of assorted singles including: Dragon's Milk, Founder's Red Rye, Short's Snow Wheat, and a 22 of Gennesee Cream Ale. I plan to work on my six-pack abs this weekend for sure.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My nephew brought me a 4-pack of Swamp Ape - a 10% abv IPA from Florida Brewing Company - when he came back from south FLA. He said it was difficult to find. Thats some good stuff, but not an everyday pint for sure.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I've got Harp and Guinness leftover from St. Patty's day (the planned get-together got called off), but also have an unopened 12 of Fat Tire, and a handful of assorted singles including: Dragon's Milk, Founder's Red Rye, Short's Snow Wheat, and a 22 of Gennesee Cream Ale.
    Do you really have a 22 of Genny or are you just trying to keep us on our toes?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Do you really have a 22 of Genny or are you just trying to keep us on our toes?
    Really do! It recently became available to MI beer distributors and I make a point to pick some up every now and then when I'm in the mood for a 'grandfather' beer.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Bought a six pack of "Big Flats 1901" this week, it was $3.19, just because I could.
    Last edited by Tide; 19 Mar 2013 at 3:54 PM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Really do! It recently became available to MI beer distributors and I make a point to pick some up every now and then when I'm in the mood for a 'grandfather' beer.
    I love how you pick it up in the 22 oz. cans. Pretty sure old grandpa didn't roll like that

If I'm feeling in the mood for a grandpa/lawnmower type of beer it is usually PBR.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

How Beer Gave Us Civilization

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/op...tion.html?_r=0

But then, these same lifesaving social instincts didn’t readily lend themselves to exploration, artistic expression, romance, inventiveness and experimentation — the other human drives that make for a vibrant civilization.

To free up those, we needed something that would suppress the rigid social codes that kept our clans safe and alive. We needed something that, on occasion, would let us break free from our biological herd imperative — or at least let us suppress our angst when we did.

We needed beer.
    Oddball

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Print Headline: Stout comes in a wide variety of incarnations
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...23/suds-stouts /

Highlighting Michigan's -

Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout with Brewer’s Licorice, Kalamazoo, Mich.
    Founder’s Breakfast Stout, Grand Rapids, Mich.
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Oberon is starting to make appearances again - a sign of spring!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Oberon is starting to make appearances again - a sign of spring!
    It's probably disloyal for me to say this....but I fail to see what's so great about Oberon. I guess I don't understand what the legions of rabid fans of this brew see in it.

Registered
    May 2005
    It's probably disloyal for me to say this....but I fail to see what's so great about Oberon. I guess I don't understand what the legions of rabid fans of this brew see in it.
    Bells has so many other beers that are better.

Oberon has a cult following that grew out of the college crowd. I think people also gear up for it because it's a sign that warmer weather is around the corner.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    There are definitely beers I like better, but those blue six-packs are a sign that summer is just around the corner. Its a good lighter summer beer for me.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Urban Farming just for beer

'Beer geeks' hope hops farm taps microbrew trend
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...crobrew-trend/

A batch of hops fetches $10 to $30 per pound — the volume in which they're typically sold. Hops, about the size of a pine cone, can be purchased either whole or in pellet form from a grinding process that makes brewing more efficient. A pound equals 200 to 300 cones, depending on type.
    City planners seem more than pleased with their idea to bring a bit of urban farming to the largely industrial area.
    Oddball

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Picked up some Moose Drool Brown Ale (Big Sky Brewing Co) over the weekend. It's not at our usual place, but we were across town and stopped by a large beer/wine/specialty food store and found it. We look for it because after discovering it in Montana, we both think it's worth searching for. Yum!!

Then last night I stopped at Central Market and found Brush Tail Farmhouse Saison ale from the same brewing co. Since it has limited availability, I picked some up to try. While tasty, it's not as flat-out yummy as the Moose Drool.

Is it weird to think of a beer as yummy?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    WSJ article -

Porters Get Fresh
    The world's first beer fad is back, and better than ever
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Does anybody like Porter ?
    Oddball

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    WSJ article -

Porters Get Fresh
    The world's first beer fad is back, and better than ever
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Does anybody like Porter ?

Not exactly my favorite but I'll have one every now and then.

Anybody on here ever drink anything from Cigar City? I love their stuff!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Why Your Beer Gets So Warm On Humid Days
    And what this can teach us about koozies--and climate change
    http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...nk-its-science

it is physics
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Must be some changes have occurred with the area distributors, all of a sudden several of the grocery stores have begun to carry a whole bunch of new beers, many of which I've never even heard of before. I have got a lot of drinking to do in the coming weeks.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I love to try seasonal brews. Yesterday I picked up Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale. Since today was a long one (Commission day), I sampled a cold one first thing.

It's pretty . . . average. Nothing spectacular, but still satisfying. One thumb up.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I love to try seasonal brews. Yesterday I picked up Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale. Since today was a long one (Commission day), I sampled a cold one first thing.

It's pretty . . . average. Nothing spectacular, but still satisfying. One thumb up.
    I tried it too...it was just ok.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread
Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 53 62 63 64 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  3. The Beer Swap Thread