Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ortho Photos

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Ortho Photos

Since my town is just now getting around to implementing a GIS.....I'm realizing how far digital orthophotography has come over the past few years.....I was amazed at the resolution and clarity of what we've gotten so far.....

Nothing really to discuss here....just a random thought that came to mind....and the fact I can pick out my car in the Town office parking lot in the first photo.

Town offices:

Airport Terminal:

AES Gas Power Plant:
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hey NHP... your car sure needs cleaning!

BTW what airport is that?

Is that aerial or satelite? (If its satelite I'll go get my tin foil hat and watch Public enemy again :-P)

Sadly, around here, satelite images for geographical purposes aren't very good... And the airforce pretty much has a monopoly in the aerial photography market....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    .....I was amazed at the resolution and clarity of what we've gotten so far.....

....and the fact I can pick out my car in the Town office parking lot in the first photo.
    I'm impressed with the clarity of detail and pleased that digital orthophotography will only improve planning efforts.

NHPlanner, which car is yours?
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I work with ortho photos... we had a flyover in 2000... and now are preparing for another flyer...getting 2 foot contours for the county.... amazing. The layers that have been extracted from the orthos are great... building coverages, streets, lakes,,etc. The information has been great to compare against other data layers.

and... you should see some of the places I flyover....in the land of estates....it is amazing the development that occurs on an estate. One parcel the land disturbance was over 10 acres...to build a "house"
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yeah the new aerials are pretty nice these days. I love working in communities I am familiar with so I can pick out things I am familiar with.

OT

Good to see (althougth I'm not supirsed) you have Cyburbia, minimized on your task bar there.

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    BTW what airport is that?(
    Skel: My guess is that is the airport in Manchester. If I'm correct, I've flown in and out of that facility quite a number of times to visit my mom and brother/sister-in-law. I've flown out of the gate the Embraer is taxiing to/from.

Ortho is outstanding. We are scheduled for high-resolution ortho in the leaf-off season of 2004/2005 as part of Homeland Security efforts. Finally, a benefit to us: I've been using non-rectified 1991 aerials for 13 years now. Although I do go to msn's terraserver now and again.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Anyone else have oblique photos tied into their GIS?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Skel: My guess is that is the airport in Manchester. If I'm correct, I've flown in and out of that facility quite a number of times to visit my mom and brother/sister-in-law. I've flown out of the gate the Embraer is taxiing to/from.

It is the Manchester Airport.....70% of which is located within the Town of Londonderry.

Here's the Londonderry portion of the Airport:

Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    NHPlanner, which car is yours?
    I'll get in closer.....1998 black Chevy Cavalier....

Quote Originally posted by tsc
    ...getting 2 foot contours for the county....
    The planimentrics are still in process....but they're slowly trickling in....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Wear did you learn to park?

Those are clean pic's. We just had a fly over done, but they messed up the first one, so the trees are a little thick in the second (good) ones. I will try to have photo's up tomorrow.

On the other hand, that is clean. how many feet per pixel is that?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Wear did you learn to park?

Those are clean pic's. We just had a fly over done, but they messed up the first one, so the trees are a little thick in the second (good) ones. I will try to have photo's up tomorrow.

On the other hand, that is clean. how many feet per pixel is that?
    From our documents with the consultant:

Company X, under this contract, will be supplied by Town of Londonderry with color negative film of the aerial photography, 186 exposures, documentation of 68 targeted and surveyed ground control points, and will provide digital aerial triangulation; digital orthophotos with 4 inch pixel resolution; and photogrammetrically compiled maps at scale 1=100

The color aerial photography at scale of 1=660 was flown in Spring of 2003. One of the first tasks will be to scan the color negative film, review the ground control layout to accomplish the digital aerial triangulation for the entire project area, and will serve as a QA/QC procedure on all the ground control and aerial photography products.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow... great resolution!

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Found one more to share....a local McMansion.....never realized in driving by what was out back.....

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I trump your mcmansion..with real mansion...on over 100acres...zooming in close you can see the lawn tennis, fountains, bb courst, indoor pool, outdoor pool, riding rings, trails, hard tennis court, parking courts, gymnasium...guest cottages....and of course zoom in on the horses.... hard to fathom size... as this is a parcel over 100 acres...

"Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2003

NHPlanner, you didn't park straight.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    NHPlanner, you didn't park straight.
    I know.....I know.....must've been a morning after a late night meeting.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    behold!! a real mansion! casa de boik.

No.. that's not my truck....no, that's not my boat...no, that's not my SUV. The attached 1 car garage is more like a shed. It could not hold anything larger than a a sunfire, cavalier, golf, or geo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails casa de boik2.jpg  
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    We have the obliques, too (none posted to protect the innocent). They're cool. No substitute for site visits, but they definitly help give a more rounded idea of what's going on at a site. And very sharp. If my dogs were much larger, and not dirt-colored, I'd be able to see them in the back yard.
    I don't dream. I plan.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Now and Then photos
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 10 Dec 2006, 12:28 PM
  2. Fun With War Photos #9
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Apr 2003, 11:36 PM
  3. Fun With War Photos #5