Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Donate your body?

Registered
    Mar 2002

Donate your body?

Now this looks like something Id like to see!

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=220&sid=219900

its a showing of dead bodies preserved to show things like heart problems, cancer, reprodution etc.

Cool as hell!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree that it is a cool idea. My class went to the Pasadena Chiropractor College when I was in junior high to see what real human organs looked like. It was kind of gross, but really enlightening. It's probably one of the best field trips we had, that is for actual learning. I probably had more 'fun' on other field trips.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    One of the the exhibits.

(Dan) Ewwwww ... did we get invaded by the Something Awful forums today? Gross image deleted and replaced.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    thats a creepy shot but Id still love to see it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Wow...

I saw Plannergirl post "Donate Your Body", and this was what it was about?!

Talk about a let down...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Well, no wonder she died, that child is as big as Shrek!

(I'm really hoping that's not a preserved pregant woman)
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Reminds me of that Vincent Price thriller "Terror in the Wax Museum," where he uses people he killed as the mold for the wax figures - wax on the outside, dead people on the inside.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    yes all the people used in the show are real preserved dead bodies

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Personally, I have no problem with it as long as it is used for medical education purposes. For example, are there plaques for each 'exhibit' pointing out the different body parts, different ailments (normal heart vs. enlarged?). Things that talk about how the different organs work?

OK, from the website:

The exhibition features the instructional display of individual exhibits, thus enabling visitors to experience anatomy step by step as an intrinsic part of their body quite similar to a three-dimensional textbook.
    I have to say that I think there is a fine line to be crossed from educational to exhibitionist shock value (ala Faces of Death).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    [admin hat on]

Please do NOT post gross images like that to the forum, or in the gallery. Avoid linking to such images, too. When in doubt, use the "two link rule" - link to a site that has a link to the image.

I'd yellow-card you like I did michaelskis, but the image wasn't as gross ... no blood, and presented as art.

Yes, I deleted the image, and replaced it with something a bit lighter.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Dan that image is a hilarious replacement...Nice choice.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    More and more of a reason why I'm going out in a blase of glory......... cremation that is.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Sounds interesting... yet I doubt it'll come here... people are just a tad uptight about things like this. Not to mention the everlasting battle for the legaliztion of the day after pill... ugh!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 29 Jul 2009, 12:58 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jul 2007, 2:15 PM
  3. Iraq needs you - Donate now!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Sep 2005, 12:29 PM
  4. Donate Money or the Rabbit gets it!
    Friday Afternoon Club