Urban planning community

Poll results: Who is telling the truth (or at least who is the best liar)?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • ofos - currency converter

0 0%
  • RJ - sauna heater

2 15.38%
  • JNA - stereo speaker

2 15.38%
  • otterpop - toaster/blender/generic wedding gift

3 23.08%
  • wahday - bubble machine

1 7.69%
  • planit - outerwear warmer

1 7.69%
  • otis - voting machine (with chad hanger attachment)

0 0%
  • ZG - electric grill

1 7.69%
  • BUN - urinal screen tester

1 7.69%
  • seana - heated ironing board

2 15.38%
  • None of the above

0 0%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Liars Club 3

Registered
    Feb 2004

Liars Club 3

No special rules this time.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Too easy. Once again European design is at the forefront with a very stylish currency converter. Old and obsolete national currency is fed into the wide front opening where it is evaluated and then shredded. New, sized by denomination, Euros are dispensed from the top slots. The antenna on the left side alerts a courier service when the dispenser needs to be reloaded.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What you are viewing is the first electric sauna heater. It was invented by Waino Saarannanne in the early 1960's. Saunas (like my parents' sauna), were previously wood heated. The thingy on the left is part of the thermostat.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's a high tech stereo speaker that looks like furniture as an art piece.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We got one of these as a wedding present. I have concluded it was a practical joke gift. Eight years later and we still don't know what the hell it is or does.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    We got one of these as a wedding present. I have concluded it was a practical joke gift. Eight years later and we still don't know what the hell it is or does.
    Damn, otterpop may not have a clue, but we've got some awards to hand out at the end of this thread!

Registered
    May 2005
    This is, of course, a beauty of Scandinavian design - the Büblkrøml. This finely crafted, automated bubble machine uses rare fine woods, including teak and rosewood, and was originally designed as a personal gift to Lawrence Welk before going into short-run production. Quite a find!

The user stands before the unit like a lectern and blows into the vent-shaped piece up top to produce the bubbles off of the wire extension on the side. The center console holds a cartridge of soapy water which is delivered to the wire contraption when needed.

But seriously, do you actually OWN this lovely piece of equipment? It looks like its just sitting in your living room!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    This is a scandinavian woolen hat and scarf warmer. You drape you scarf and put your hat on the metal arm on the left side. This metal arm is heated by a small heating elelment housed in the decorative wooden box. When you come in from the winter cold, you place your hat and scarf on it to dry and warm up. When you leave your hat and scarf are all nice and warm as you go outside into the cold scandinavian winter. It is a standard piece of furniture that sits by the door in every home.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2002
    It's the new design for voting machines in Florida. You insert your completed ballot is the front slot, then pull the vertical lever on the right to record your vote. The slots on top are part of the cooling system to allow the machine to function in the Florida climate. The horizontal loop on the left is for hanging your chads.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We saw this at Bass Pro Shops here on the panhandle. It's the first Trailer Trash Small Game Indoor Grill. Works well for bunnies, squirrels, and stray cats. Insert dead animal in slot, spear with skewer, shown left, plug in and soon, you have tasty cooked game. Unfortunately, it does require that the trailer have electricity.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Model 5570S

I cannot believe that Maister paid a visit to my distribution center, snapped this photo in John's office, and did not stop down to say "Hey, Bear". Perhaps he dropped by when I was at an off-site meeting or event.

Of course, it is the Model 5570S, the fourth in a series of urinal screen scenting agent testing units. The unbagged scented urinal screen is gently fed through the front slot. The actual test only takes a few minutes, as the command unit inside of the machine will analyze the resin content of the screen, check the amount of regrind recycled material that is present in the genetic make-up of the screen, verify the PMS colorant used to give the screen the specific color required, and test the olfaction range (to make sure the screen is within standards).

Cyburbians are probably wondering why all of these factors are important to the manufacturing of a urinal screen. Prime reason is cost. Of course, oil is a prime ingredient in the manufacture of resin, or too much non-regrind material will increase the piece price, often by 3 to 4 cents each. Multiply that by millions of urinal screens......big dollars involved.

The color is important, as a marketing tool. Many urinal screen customers want their logo imprinted on the screen, kind of giving men "something to aim for". They may request a green urinal screen with a specific PMS color, and their logo will be in a matching color. The olfaction test is especially important because, let's face facts, men's rest rooms have a horrible odor to them. Providing the best balanced scent for each of the urinals lined-up against that dirty tile wall is very critical.

Looking at the Model 5570S you noticed the metal assembly on the left side of the machine. Good engineering follow-up with that! It is a rack assembly to hold your oft-used Nasal Ranger Field Olfactometer. In the real world, crack technicians will bring their Ranger back to the Engineering Offices. The data that is downloaded into the Ranger can be retrieved in the Model 5570S via simple insertion into the portal on the right side of the machine (not visible in the photo).

You would be surpised at how often my company uses data from this device, to increase our margins and verify that our valued customers are receiving what they specifically have ordered.

Note: Another fine machine from Fragromatic, LLC is the Model 5599U. That unit is designed for testing of urinal screens that have been used. Those evalutions are also critical, to help determine the life-span of the specific scents and the effects of urine, cigarettes, and (shall we say) "other" substances on the urinal screens.

Nice to see my company in-focus as part of a thread !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    No wonder the men didn't get this one- it's a heated ironing board. It helps press garments, linen, money, just about anything in a fraction of a time as conventional ironing boards. It's also quite attractive- certainly beats folding up and hiding that tacky metal board after every use.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Wow, some really convincing and/or amusing entries this time.

Added the poll so now you can vote for the best bs'er

Registered
    Feb 2004
    ....and it's time to announce the "winner"! The object depicted above is an early 20th century electronic instrument called a theremin. They're actually pretty cool instruments, not just because they have a cool sound (search youtube for examples of theremin music and you can hear how cool they are), but also because they are played by gesturing with one's hands (or other body parts).

Surprise! Everyone who posted a response was bs'ing! So today's winners are BUN for providing so much detail and such high level of plausible complexity and otterpop just cuz his post was funnier than hell.

Thanks for playing.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Maybe he wasn't bs'ing.

otterpop, did you hear eerie noises when you waved your hands near it?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fight Club
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Jul 2010, 6:05 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 8:52 AM
  3. Liars Club 2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 30 Oct 2008, 11:17 AM