Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: signs

signs

Is anyone aware of regulations ( zoning or otherwise) that allows private advertising (usually directional signs) on the public r/w, signs owned and installed by the unit of government. Here in Ky the state transportation cabinet does this on the interstate (allows private advertising on state signs). The county is thinking about doing something similiar on county roads to direct motorists to businesses located on the side roads. Your assistance will be appreciated!

Registered
    Oct 2001

my ramblings

In Kansas and Missouri das ist verbotten! Even on county roads.

There is ZERO private incursion into the ROW. All private directional signs except for the traveler's aid signs pointing the way to gas, food and RV dumps are placed on private property near the ROW. The DOT even then has the right to regulate their placement, size, lighting....and so forth.

If you go that route one could argue that the county is now in the advertising business and has a monopoly over the prime advertising areas (the ROW).

Private anything in the ROW is a monster mistake in my opinion. I don't even like the traveler's aid signs.

Good Luck

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The Idaho Transportation Department controls informational signs along highways. They go a little further than just 'gas, food & lodging' and actually list business names in some locations. I don't know their rules for which businesses get to be on the signs.

I agree with El Guapo about the dangers of allowing private advertising on public rights-of-ways. We have a series of informational signs in our community, on city rights-of-way. I have pretty much removed all of the specific business names, but it has been a fight. I'll get the rest of them down this summer. In their place, our signs direct people to 'downtown' or 'lake access' or 'information' or other public sites or generic locations.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I was at a meeting yesterday with the DOT folks. On freeways the DOT will rent you a spot for your logo on their Gas Food Lodging signs. $230 bucks a year....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Giff,
    That sounds like a good deal as advertising prices go. If owned a business that catered to travelers I'd buy in.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    In my previous city, the Mayor wanted to rent space under street name signs for advertising. Perhaps there is a reason I am no longer there.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    giff57 wrote:
    I was at a meeting yesterday with the DOT folks. On freeways the DOT will rent you a spot for your logo on their Gas Food Lodging signs. $230 bucks a year....
    Here is an example:

Registered
    Oct 2001

What's in a name? Mike you would still smell as sweet.

Perhaps your offical city title could be "the Builder's Warehouse Director of Development." I always wanted to hold the ReMax Seat on the city council.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Volo, Illinois has a water tower next to Home Depot. Guess who's bright orange logo is emblazoned 100 feet over the highway.

Water towers? Been done.

I believe that the legislature has not specifically granted cities the authority to do that, so my provisional answer would be no.

It does bring up a good story though. A city tried to do just that, sold advertising space to a retail center and had it up for a few weeks before it was pointed out that municipal space could not be used to advertise private sector concerns. Panic set in, what to do? The solution was brilliant, and you can see the results today. Just drive north on I-75 toward Cincinnati and you can still see the large water tower with the sign that reads Florence Y'all (modified from Florence Mall).
    In my life, I have met men both good, and evil. I defend my self against them all...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Welcome back to the forums Linden...

Similar to giff, NH allows logos on their highway signs for a yearly lease...I don't know the rates.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Here in Ontario, you never ever saw anything on the ROW of provincial highways other than highway signs. Then the province realized that they had an untapped cash cow sitting there, and in the name of "traveller information" signed up a private firm to sell "directional" signage to anybody and everybody who was interested. Now the ROW is literally covered with signs directing to you to restaurants, golf courses, bingo halls, etc.

The province gave this same firm the authority to deal with counties/municipalities to extend signage from provincial highways to local roads. When I worked in Sudbury, we told them to take a flying leap when we saw what they were proposing to do. Basically, they wanted unfettered access to our ROW to put up as many directional signs as they could sell (without consulting or reimbursing us). We told them we had our own policies and that they could very nicely go to hell.

The Region provides tourism directional signage to establishments that meet set criteria. The signage is provided by the applicant - the Region installs and maintains the signs for a set fee. Very strict enforcement - I had to turn down the trout farm/driving range/cross-country ski lodge/general store.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

This seems timely ...

... just as I'm about to go out and inventory the streets, for signs in the right-of-way placed by a local church. They had a pre-app several weeks ago, for an addition to their facility. Told 'em that one condition for acceptance of a planning application is resolution of any outstanding code enforcement issues, which means removal of the six or so off-site directional signs they have in the public ROW. They submitted, and the signs are still up. I'm rejecting the application.

The town could go out and remove these church signs, but it's a politically sensitive matter; remember, public meetings here begin with prayers to the Almighty Lord Christ Jesus. Town policy is that we won't pull old signs, but we will require removal when they apply for any building permit or land use action.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards LED signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Oct 2011, 12:08 PM
  2. Signs / billboards Box signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Dec 2008, 3:45 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 Oct 2003, 7:34 PM
  4. Signs / billboards LED Signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Jan 2003, 4:13 PM
  5. Signs / billboards Signs, signs, everywhere signs...
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Sep 2002, 11:07 AM