Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cleveland, Ohio - Cleveland Heights/Coventry Village (broadband recommended)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Cleveland, Ohio - Cleveland Heights/Coventry Village (broadband recommended)

Gotta' love "urban suburbs" like Cleveland Heights. Coventry Village used to be the region's rebellious, bohemian district. There are still some remnants of that, such as an honest-to-goodness communist bookstore (!), but for the most part the neighborhood's retail and entrertainment uses cater to those of all ages and social groups now.

Housing near Coventry Road ... mostly solid, well-maintained three and four story brick walk-up apartment buildings. Go a few blocks further, and you'll hit streets lined with textbook 1920s-era single family houses.

More/larger images in the Cyburbia Gallery. Enjoy.

Residential

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Really nice!

Is this in the city? just to the east or west? does it have rail service?
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I love this part of the Cleveland metro, especially the housing stock. The very soon-to-be Mrs....Star grew up near Chagrin Blvd. in Shaker Heights.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Dan, keep posting these Cleveland area photos - may help with a project we're starting...

Nice houses! - why can't developers make neighborhoods like this anymore?!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    Is this in the city? just to the east or west? does it have rail service?
    It's just east of Cleveland's city limits. The University Circle station on the RTA Red Line is about a 2 km walk away; it's not what I would call close. You could also hoof it about 2 km south to the Shaker Square station, serving the Blue and Green lines.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003

Great Shots!

Thanks! As usual, diligent work on your part, Dan. The only thing that's missing is a shot of Harvey slinking down the street wide a load of vinyl under his arm heading for Record Rendezvous.....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Say Dan I use to live right off Coventry on Mayfield in one of those 1920's apartment buildings. In the summer of 1987 I worked for Cleveland Heights and conducted a parking study of Coventry. It must of led to the parking deck I saw last winter when I visited Gilmore Academy with my daughter. The City demolished the grocery store and kosher chicken butcher building.

My flyfishing buddy owns Lee & Laura Salon on Coventry. He has been on Coventry since the 70's. It is more conservative now, if you can beleive it. I could walk from my apartment: Grumms (great subs), 3 bars, grocery store, drug store, convienence store, communist book store, used record shop, candy store (burnt down I think with the coffee shop and movie theater), etc. A great place. Plus, the mix of people: Young Dr., university students (CSU, Case Western, John Carrol), and people who needed moderately priced apartments. Cool homes nearby to.

My wife and I still miss Coventry 15 years later. The Cleveland Clinic was great employer for my wife. But, I never could get good job in Cleveland. I drove to Portage County, Ravenna and worked at the W. 130th St. and Kamm's Corners Business Districts.

Shaker Square is great, up around where you live.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Mar 2005, 11:31 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 25 Aug 2004, 11:21 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jul 2004, 9:41 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Jun 2004, 8:16 PM
  5. Replies: 4