Thread: Counties cracking down on yard junk

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Counties cracking down on yard junk

Headline and Article from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Highlights:

... growing number of counties across the nation, is cracking down on property owners who have resisted cleaning up despite warnings, fines and even jail sentences.

Some have adopted laws enabling officials to remove yard waste and junk cars and bill the owners. Those who don't pay may have liens placed against their property.

Pierce County, Wash., a national leader in personal-property abatement. The county removed 661 vehicles from one place and 80 from the property of another man who then began accumulating more, said Yvonne Reed, code enforcement supervisor for the program, called Pierce County Responds: http://www.piercecountywa.org
    Do you have any stories or is always The Town Next Door TM ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Someone pass this article onto New Jersey....where "Jersey Junk" is like lawn ornaments.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    This article sounds like my entire county. Unfortunately, we don't have any money for cleanup. I will probably end up driving a dump truck around my county and picking up trash for a living. A much better represenation of a Code Enforcement Officer/Planner.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I had one case that I inherited when I started here 3 years ago where this guy had approval for an impound lot, but not a junkyard. The battle had been going back and forth in courts for two decades. Finally I put a lot of pressure on him (and our attorney) and found that he was in violation of a court order that required that all personal possessions must be removed from the property. Additionally, the original approval only permitted impounded vehicles to be there for no more than 6 months. Needless to say, he was running a junk yard.

I had the attorney request a bench warrant for him being in contempt of a court order. The guy was not responding to any of my enforcement measures since he was transporting cars back and forth from FL.

He was pulled over for a broken taillight in Detroit, cop noticed he had a bench warrant for his arrest. Well it was a Friday night, so he was not arraigned until Monday morning. We required a 50,000, 10% bail be posted (he had to post $5,000 for bail and if he did not correct the violation of the court order he would be required to pay the remaining $45,000 which would be used to clean up the property).

Several months later, the property is violation free for the first time since the 60ís. I closed the case last month.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We have a hearing today for a pony-tailed solid citizen who filled his entire yard with junk, illegal structures, garbage, and "recyclables." He is one of those "crazy like a fox" people who thinks he understands city code. He's been 'restrained" in the City Manager's office before.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Yard Games & Yard Toys & The Like
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 1:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Jul 2006, 10:22 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 9:04 PM
  4. Fastest Growing Counties
    Cities and Places