Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How about some Feng Shui for our cities?

Registered
    Jul 2004

How about some Feng Shui for our cities?

I don't know that much about planning, but I'm just getting started... I was looking at some place that in Hong Kong all the planners and builders must consult and have the approval of a Feng-shui master before constructing something.

Feng Shui is supposed to bring harmony and balance by placing things in the right directions, choosing appropiate colors, etc,,, not only your room, but the city itself.

I'm not a big fan but even the Trump Tower in New York was built following Feng Shui guidance.

Do you know other big-scale cases about it? or what do you think?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm not sure that Feng Shui has made it out of Asia, as far as community/city planning goes. Those who practice it here seem to focus more on their own individual environment.

My best friend and her husband made an offer on a house in Tulsa, but it was already under contract. However, the prospective buyers were waiting for a Feng Shui consultant to determine if this house had positive qi, or energy. Apparently it didn't, and they backed out and my friends bought the house.

Feng shui "seeks to promote prosperity, good health, and general well being," which sounds familiar (health, safety and welfare ring a bell?) -- a cool concept but I'm not sure about the scale of its future here in the U.S.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Pacific*Sand
    I don't know that much about planning, but I'm just getting started...
    Well, we're even. I don't know much about Feng Shui. Perhaps you could enlighten us. Then, perhaps, I can comment
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Feng Shui

Feng Shui on a community wide basis sounds interesting to me..... Anything that makes our buildings more pleasant to occupy can't be all that bad. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was being used in Singapore in some fashion... Similar to discussions held in grad school about solar orientation issues during site planning. Certainly our more progressive architect friends have been thinking about this for big city development for some time and some codes even discuss the issue (usaully related to snow loading of sidewalks or streets in northern towns)

This reminds me, I need to schedule my acupuncture appointment to cure the headaches I get from working in a municipal government setting.... :-}

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Sep 2010, 9:06 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Dec 2004, 4:43 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Oct 2004, 11:17 AM
  4. Feng Shui?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Feb 2004, 6:48 PM