Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NAACP - Can they have their cake and eat it too?

Registered
    Oct 2001

NAACP - Can they have their cake and eat it too?

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- NAACP chairman Julian Bond urged members of the nation's oldest civil rights organization to increase voter turnout to oust President Bush, and condemned the administration's policies on education, the economy and the war in Iraq....Leaders of the Baltimore-based group are upset that President Bush has no plans to attend the convention. Bush spoke at the 2000 NAACP convention when he was a candidate but has declined invitations to speak in each year of his presidency, making him the first president since the 1930s to skip it, officials said.
    How dare W skip an event where he would be heckled, ridiculed, and derided? The nerve!

Minority children still face inequality in school spending and are being disproportionately hurt by the accountability aims of Bush's No Child Left Behind Act, he said.
    [Its for the Children]After all we can't have ACCOUNTABILITY. The children do so much better without it.[/Its for the Children]

Read the entire story...http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    How dare W skip an event where he would be heckled, ridiculed, and derided? The nerve!

[Its for the Children]After all we can't have ACCOUNTABILITY. The children do so much better without it.[/Its for the Children]

Read the entire story...http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
    Maybe if the NAACP changes their name to remove the blatantly insensitive words Colored People from their name....

Are their leaders so far behind the times that they do not realize that nobody in the 'mainstream' can safely use that term anymore?

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2001
    More welcoming language from the left...http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ush/index.html

At the 2001 convention, which was held before the September 11 attacks, Bond sharply criticized some of Bush's political appointments, saying that he "selected nominees from the Taliban wing of American politics, appeased the wretched appetites of the extreme right wing and chosen Cabinet officials whose devotion to the Confederacy is nearly canine in its uncritical affection."....The party appeals "to the dark underside of American culture, to the minority of Americans who reject democracy and equality," Bond said. "They preach neutrality and practice racial division."
    Here is the best gem:
    The NAACP is a nonpartisan organization, Bond said, "but that doesn't mean we're noncritical."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    To suggest the NAACP is non partisan is funny...

No of course he should not go. He will be heckled and it will get ugly.

Better idea is to go directly to the constituancy in black churches, neighborhhods etc..

The NAACP only represents liberal democratic blacks

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    To suggest the NAACP is non partisan is funny...

No of course he should not go. He will be heckled and it will get ugly.

Better idea is to go directly to the constituancy in black churches, neighborhhods etc..

The NAACP only represents liberal democratic blacks
    So why would every other president, regardless of political affiliation, go to this event at least once during their term(s)?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why should W attend a meeting of people who have fought all thier lives for civil rights while he continues to infringe on those of America today?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Why should W attend a meeting of people who have fought all thier lives for civil rights while he continues to infringe on those of America today?
    All well and good except when was the last time you heard of the NAACP fighting for civil rights? Like I posted in another thread: Maybe I'm just an uninformed white boy, but what does the NAACP actually do anymore? Honestly, other than threatening protest and seeing a racist conspiracy behind every political action (non-Democratic party) their leadership deisagrees with, what does the NAACP actually do to "advance" the black community in America today.

I am absolutly NOT a Bush supporter, but I don't fault him for not going to a meeting where he would be greeted with scorn and out-right hatred.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Heck, even as a Bush-hater, I don't blame him for not attending. The NAACP appears to be another self-annointed arbiter of political correctness. As he doesn't "need" their votes, why should he attend?

Is he going to La Raza? And will he apologize for the recent " invader sweeps".

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    All well and good except when was the last time you heard of the NAACP fighting for civil rights? Like I posted in another thread: Maybe I'm just an uninformed white boy, but what does the NAACP actually do anymore? Honestly, other than threatening protest and seeing a racist conspiracy behind every political action (non-Democratic party) their leadership deisagrees with, what does the NAACP actually do to "advance" the black community in America today.

I am absolutly NOT a Bush supporter, but I don't fault him for not going to a meeting where he would be greeted with scorn and out-right hatred.
    If my facts are correct, the NAACP was a party in a law suit over re-districting in a heavily Democratic county here. So they are not necessarily in bed with the Dems...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What's your favorite birthday cake?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 04 Nov 2013, 7:17 PM
  2. Cake
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 18 Sep 2012, 3:04 PM
  3. My Groom's Cake
    Friday Afternoon Club