Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Density and Housing Supply?

Registered
    May 2003

Density and Housing Supply?

I've been thinking about this recently. If you look at places like California, where housing costs are through the roof, it's characterized by build-out---every plot of land that's close to anything already has something on it. Without density restrictions (zoning), the economics of the situation would have long-since compelled developers to build up. San Francisco would probably look like Manhattan by now.

But San Francisco has effectively prevented new development to preserve its character, and since freeways aren't being built like they were in the 50s and 60s, the end result is a housing shortage that pushes prices through the roof. Even in a place like Manhattan, we find a housing market distorted by BANANAs and rent controls rendered unable to meet demand.

Here, inner-city housing supplies have exploaded due to lax regulation, and the result is that housing isn't unaffordable in even the most trendy neighborhoods. Interestingly, if you compare two neighborhoods of equal trendiness, the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park, LP is actually more expensive even though it is further from downtown---in large part, I believe, because new units are coming on line significantly faster in high-rise GC than in low-rise LP.

Anyhow, my question is, are there any studies done on this? On the face it seems ipso facto, but I'd like to see if someone's proven it in a scientific paper for political reasons.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    i've long thought this and it would be interesting to see some actual numbers on the issue, although what's a BANANA?

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Solipsa
    i've long thought this and it would be interesting to see some actual numbers on the issue, although what's a BANANA?
    Rabid from of NIMBY: Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I would be shocked if this wasn't reasoned before. Doesn't new urbanism, *cough* I mean old urbanisim preach this anyway? In order to protect and create affordable housing, as prices increase; density should increase. Isn't this how cities have developed anyway w/ donwtowns being higher priced and therefore more dense?

Lincoln Park is probably pricier in some situations because it is the "it" place to be in Chicago. The trendy factor (along with the density factor) probably ads more to the price than proximity to downtown.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 2:51 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jan 2009, 3:16 AM
  3. Supply chains
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Aug 2001, 10:29 PM