Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Our changing language: is "special" the new "gay?"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Our changing language: is "special" the new "gay?"

In some circles, the word special is used to describe the mentally disabled -- or, for those of generations past, the retarded. I've heard kids tease each other by calling others "special," or describing something as "special" in the same context that they would sarchasticaly use "retarded". Not too long ago (and damnit, I wish I had my camera with me!), I saw a short yellow school bus labeled with the text "A SPECIAL BUS FOR SPECIAL CHILDREN".

I think special is going to be the "gay" of the 2000s; a word with a meaning that will change radically as time goes on, with the old meaning either forgotten or thought of as a quaint anachronism.

Are there any other words that you see as chaving meanings that would change significantly in the next 50 to 100 years?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think it's a shame. The crime in my eyes, though, is the ill intent behind the words. Words are simply words, but it's their usage and intent that causes all the grief. I have long suspected that Biblical prohibitions against profanity had this thought at their heart. The sin isn't uttering the word per se, but rather the intent behind it. In other words, don't wish your fellow man ill.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    Well, isn't that special.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    OMG - Special Sauce?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This a fabulous thread.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    OMG - Special Sauce?
    Special Friend?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Blue Light Special?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Special Exception?
    Batter up!

Registered
    May 2003
    Saturday Night Special.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I think it's a shame. The crime in my eyes, though, is the ill intent behind the words. Words are simply words, but it's their usage and intent that causes all the grief. I have long suspected that Biblical prohibitions against profanity had this thought at their heart. The sin isn't uttering the word per se, but rather the intent behind it. In other words, don't wish your fellow man ill.
    I once read about a study that concluded that people who are bigoted -- say against gays -- will use slurs like "fag". Then, if they decide those attitudes are wrong, they will clean up their language and not use such words. But, folks who are truly accepting of such lifestyle differences will use words like "fag" but in an affectionate way, not a hostile way (if that makes sense). It reminds me of the fact that our words themselves are only a small part of the meaning. When we speak, context, voice tone, and body language convey a great deal more of the meaning than the actual words -- which is part of why internet communication is so prone to misunderstandings.

Because my oldest had to be forced to learn to speak and had an elaborate alternative means of communicating as a toddler (that included made-up words of his own, miming, and still using two-word phrases well after he was supposed to be speaking in sentences!), I have come to understand "meaning" as very much an internal thing and words as a crude conduit of meaning. In my experience, it takes substantial contact with someone in order to get to know them well enough for effective communication of any depth to begin to occur. I know that when I post comments in forums that I do not post in regularly, I have a lot more trouble with being misunderstood, offending people, etc.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Special... I haven't looked at the root word, or its origin, but three other words do come to mind...

Specific

Species

Specimen

I don't know what my point is. If these three words are related to Special, then Special has indeed lost its specialness. If everyone is special, then each and every specifc specimen of our species is pretty much alike and therfore not special.

I love being ordinary.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Saturday Night Blue Light Fabulous Specimen Special Sauce is against the ways of Gawd! You're all going to Hell!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    "Special Fred" - Stephen Lynch

wish i could find an audio link...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I guess if there's a movement to get a constitutional amendment that would outlaw gay marriage, it should also outlaw special education.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    I guess if there's a movement to get a constitutional amendment that would outlaw gay marriage, it should also outlaw special education.
    ding ding ding...we have a winner....too funny, too funny.

but, wait....wasnt "special" the "gay" of the 80's on SNL???????????

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by H
    ding ding ding...we have a winner....too funny, too funny.
    Come on, you're being way too kind. I'm the absolute worst at being funny.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Back when I was in middle school there was a class of students who were "special", they were bussed in from surrouding districts and the class was operated under the county Board of Cooperative Educational Services, more popularly known as BOCES. Anyways this class was known as the BOCES class and thus the term "BOCES" was used as a slang term that could be subsitituted for "retarted" or "special".

Registered
    Oct 2001

Physics Nerd Joke about Tards....

Dan

I heard your school bus in Buffalo was so short the Physics club concluded it was traveling at relativistic speeds.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I heard your school bus in Buffalo was so short the Physics club concluded it was traveling at relativistic speeds.
    Hey ... at least my short bus was RUGGED!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

What is special ?

Definitions of special from the Web:

>overused as a word expressing vague praise.
    If she is such "a special person," what are the rest of us? Generic?

>is in a group of things (or people) that are the same as each other in some way and different from all others in that way.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    "Special Fred" - Stephen Lynch

wish i could find an audio link...
    Hee! I saw him perform on Comedy Central. Ha-larious!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Cyburbia, "You are special."

Registered
    Dec 2003

Newsflash

This just in. "Special" to replace "Gay" (ex. "Hey Gordo, did you check out that hunk over by the fire hydrant? He's so special!") and "Gay" to replace "Stupid" (ex. "Dammit Bobby, that is the gayest thing you have ever done. If you weren't so gay and actually used your brain for once, then maybe you wouldn't have pulled your finger out of the dike until reinforcements arrived! Now the whole town is flooded thanks to your gaypidity".)

Inspired by this
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Special Use Permit???.... there are gay districts already. SO...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 13