Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: election delays?

Registered
    Jul 2002

election delays?

cnn.com is doing a poll based on the following question:
    Should Election Day be delayed if there is a terror attack near that date?

I had to answer "no." If we move/delay Election Day, wouldn't a terror attack simply change with the new date?
    It is our constitutional right to vote. I think it would be a BIG mistake to start playing with that potential fire....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The Bushies aren't even to being subtle about this one. First Tom Ridge warns the nation that there may be a terrorist attack around election time. (are you scared yet?) However when asked about the source of such a warning he states that there is no credible threat only that it may occure. (Well duh s%*@ Sherlock, that would be an obvious time for a domestic attack.) Then it is announced the President may need to postpone the elections should an attack occure.

You have got to be kidding me. A postponed election held after an attack would add to our climate of fear and lead to a Bush victory, and worse, to an even more fractured and politically unstable nation.

An election has never been postoned in the history of this country... not even during the Civil War for crying out loud. Any attempts to do so now are blatantly politically manipulative, cynical and undemocratic.
    Last edited by biscuit; 12 Jul 2004 at 1:42 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Habeas Corpus is a constitutional right too but that hasn't stopped this administration.

Registered
    Aug 1997

Plans, plans . . . .

I've thought about this. It wouldn't take much (relatively) on an election day to keep a lot of people away from the polls. Just like the government (rightly) shut down the airspace for a few days after a terrorist attack, I could see them wanting to shut down polling places in response to the a certain attack or series of attacks, and they would be right to do so.

If something like that happened, I would hope that the Supreme Court would reactively authorize an alternate election procedure that would meet the intent of the Federal Constitution, though the exact dates and deadlines would be altered. With that, they would likely need to direct states to do the same, since we don't really have one national election but fifty concurrent state elections.

Anyways, I like this idea rather than codifying what we would do before such a event. The reaction needs to be customized to the particular situation and the Supreme Court, since they are unaffected by the results of the election, need to be the body to do it.

Thoughts?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Don't be suprised if.....

Homeland security issues a terror threat for Michigan, Florida, New Mexico and any other so called "battle ground" state.... for the election day week...........

Registered
    Jul 2002

fla

Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    Should Election Day be delayed .....
    A delay may be needed so the Floridians can learn to count.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think we do need to think about what to do in case of a large scale attack during an election. For example, if NYC is attacked again do we just say "Oh, well people in New York don't get to vote this year"? Big cities are the prime terrorist targets and their voting patterns are different than the rest of the country so an attack could lead to a flawed election.

Its sad that so many people don't vote whether terrorists attack or not. The government should outlaw Fear Factor and Will and Grace on election day so that people will get out of the house and vote.

I always wondered if something like this could happen. I wouldn't put it past Bush to try and stay in office past January 20 by any means necessary. And I do mean, any means.

Bush stands to gain immensely by another terrorist attack if the timing is right. Probably sometime in October before he has a chance to screw up like he did in 2001. If it happened now, it would be too early and if it happened after November 2 (Election Day) the point is moot anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Homeland security issues a terror threat for Michigan, Florida, New Mexico and any other so called "battle ground" state.... for the election day week...........
    I'm in your neck of the woods and have definitely thought about that possibility. Big "swing state" down here.

Hmmmmm
    Does anyone know a good website for planning jobs in Canada? And just think, we used to laugh at third world countries and banana republics.

At first I was scared, but then I remembered that my polling place is the neighborhood firehouse, filled with first-responders, so I think I should be safe

The level of distrust in this nation is starting to scare me: a politician lying about something? Comes with the territory. Believing an administration would cancel an election to remain in power? (Can anybody say coup d'etat???)

I believe it is prudent to consider a scenario where a general election might have to be postponed.
    Je suis Charlie

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    The level of distrust in this nation is starting to scare me: a politician lying about something? Comes with the territory. Believing an administration would cancel an election to remain in power? (Can anybody say coup d'etat???)
    In general, I agree that it's scary to think about the amount of distrust in the US right now.....but this current administration is what's generating it. Given what we know about the current administration, I am concerned that this type of tactic is not above them.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I expect my government to at least look at the potential consequences of such an event(s) and to make plans so the government survives. Game planning the potential Al Quaeda nuke strike on DC the day before an election is a reality that should be planned for. It is smart (even to some stupid urban planners who can't look past their facination with Starbucks, Wal-Mart, et.al...).

The fact that you live in a democracy and have the right to hold your government accountable (and the right to keep and bear arms) should ensure we have a legit government come next January. That Second Ammendment sure looks real usable and necessary now since the Patriot Act, don't she?

My guess is that if the survival of this nation and the national faith in our constitutional form of government came down to W handing the country over to John Kerry, and John Jr., during a crisis just to instill confidence in our system, I think he would do so without hesitation. I believe W is the kind of man that would put his nation well ahead of his party, the Saudi Royal Family's secret contracts with the Bush family, Corporate Welfare for his cronies, Haliburton, the Texas Rangers and his Coke Habit (Did I hit all your buzz words?).

On another note, the last election was different - the country was not at war and the legal battle over the presidency - while a pain in the ass - was needed to debug the program. We still didn't fix the process thought. I think politicians at all levels need the gray zone that allows the occasional local fix.

Personally, I'm almost to the point of hoping the John-John Ticket wins. The left needs to make some hard decisions for a change. Fighting the war, sucking up to France and the UN - all the while trying to keep Boston from vaporizing in an Islamic nuke might just snap you paranoid self-doubting planners into shape or doom the country. Either way I get the pleasure of saying "I told you so." So suck it up America Haters - you are likely going to get what you asked for. [Nelson]Ha ha...[/Nelson]

The smile at the end makes it all better.

Registered
    Jul 2002

usa

I guess that if the country could have an election admidst a civil war with enemy troops at times in sight of the buildings in the Capitol, I think we can do it now. A major disaster notwithstanding.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's an attempt to disenfranchise Democrats from voting by creating mass confusion on Election Day. We all know that if the terrorists are going to influence an election, they'll target a "red" state any way.

But seriously, we take pride in the way this nation runs. Postponing a primary is one thing, but a general election or an inauguration is another. In the face of tragedy, the democratic process has always been preserved and it should continue to be that way.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    A delay may be needed so the Floridians can learn to count.
    Hey now....I are a college grad-ju-it.

I did read an article in our local paper when Kerry/Edwards paid a visit to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Apparently Kerry said that "Edwards has 2 children, ages 4 and 6.....they're good at math....we're going to send them down to West Palm Beach and help them count." OUCH!!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    .....My guess is that if the survival of this nation and the national faith in our constitutional form of government came down to W handing the country over to John Kerry, and John Jr., during a crisis just to instill confidence in our system, I think he would do so without hesitation. I believe W is the kind of man that would put his nation well ahead of his party, .......

The smile at the end makes it all better.
    Only, so far, there is NO proof that w is such a person.

No, the smiley does not make it better. Scary is scary no matter how you try to label the leaders of an administration that have activly campaigned for, passed laws, violated law, and been chastised for thier abuse of major laws that the country has.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I wonder why no one is calling for his impeachment. Clinton can get impeached over lying about a little action in the Oval Office yet no one is demanding answers to the multiple repots showing we were lied to and there was no reason to invad Iraq.

I don't think the Constitution means anything to W. I also don't think he puts the nation before anything- he certainly couldn't manage to put Texas first when he was governor.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hey now....I are a college grad-ju-it.

I did read an article in our local paper when Kerry/Edwards paid a visit to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Apparently Kerry said that "Edwards has 2 children, ages 4 and 6.....they're good at math....we're going to send them down to West Palm Beach and help them count." OUCH!!!!
    Too bad Kerry hasn't noticed that it's Yankees like him who can't count (who else would live in Palm Beach?).

Native Floridians can actually do math. We are slllooooww and have the patience to get it right.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Habeas Corpus is a constitutional right too but that hasn't stopped this administration.
    They are having sex with the dead??!!

Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I expect my government to at least look at the potential consequences of such an event(s) and to make plans so the government survives. Game planning the potential Al Quaeda nuke strike on DC the day before an election is a reality that should be planned for. It is smart (even to some stupid urban planners who can't look past their facination with Starbucks, Wal-Mart, et.al...).
    Its amazing how much we agree when we are not talking about motorcycle exhaust systems! The way I see it, out government(s) have preset emergency response plans for a lot of different happenstances. Why not one for this too? Its better than trying to figure it out in the chaos and aftermath of a planned attack. That said, should the public (and the faceless enemy) be told what that plan is? whould it lose its effectiveness if they can plan around it (i.e. a follow up attack or modified approach to the attack)
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 13 Jul 2004 at 7:13 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Should Election Day be delayed if there is a terror attack near that date?

I had to answer "no." If we move/delay Election Day, wouldn't a terror attack simply change with the new date?
    It is our constitutional right to vote. I think it would be a BIG mistake to start playing with that potential fire....
    Actually, there is *NO* requirement or right in the US Constitution for the public to vote in a President/Vice-President election (read it, its text is an eye-opener). Each states' Electors can be chosen in ANY manner that the state's legislature deems appropriate (Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 2), even picking the first so many people in their capitol city's phone book whose names state with 'K', if they so desire. The popular vote elections are only customary, as is the date that they are held (set by law to be the first tuesday after the first monday in November).

Thus, any delay in voting at an 'official' Federal level for President/Vice-President would only be in the date for the Electors to be chosen and to vote (who sit in whatever place the legislature picks in their respective state for the purpose)(Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 4) and forward the results to Congress, where the votes are officially opened and counted on the date set by the Congress (Amendment XII).

As for Congressional elections, see Article I, Section 4, Paragraph 1. There, as in the date for chosing Electors, Congress can change the date of USHouse and Senate popular vote elections, if necessary.

The times that actual terms expire are set by the US Constitution (Amendment XX, Section 1).

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Actually, there is *NO* requirement or right in the US Constitution for the public to vote in a President/Vice-President election (read it, its text is an eye-opener). Each states' Electors can be chosen in ANY manner that the state's legislature deems appropriate (Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 2), even picking the first so many people in their capitol city's phone book whose names state with 'K', if they so desire. The popular vote elections are only customary, as is the date that they are held (set by law to be the first tuesday after the first monday in November).
    Amendments XV, XIX, and XXVI do put restrictions on how the Electors are chosen. (Specifically they say people cannot be denied the vote based on race, sex, or age over 18.) Your method of picking from the phone book would of course require amending the constitution of the state in question, and if it got out of hand the Federal legislature could step in again like they did in 1870, 1920, and 1971. Hmmm, that's funny. It looks like it's about every 50 years we get an amendment like this. I can just see Amendment XXXI, adopted 2021: The right of citizens to vote shall not be denied on account of being a clone.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Achernar
    Amendments XV, XIX, and XXVI do put restrictions on how the Electors are chosen. (Specifically they say people cannot be denied the vote based on race, sex, or age over 18.) Your method of picking from the phone book would of course require amending the constitution of the state in question, and if it got out of hand the Federal legislature could step in again like they did in 1870, 1920, and 1971. Hmmm, that's funny. It looks like it's about every 50 years we get an amendment like this. I can just see Amendment XXXI, adopted 2021: The right of citizens to vote shall not be denied on account of being a clone.
    But aside from those very basic non-discrimination limitations, the Federal Constitution is silent on how President/Vice-President Electors may be chosen, it is fully up to the states, and the US Constitution most definitely does NOT require a popular-vote election.

BTW, Section 3 of the 14th Amendment also prevents those who have held any office in the United States and who later rebelled against the United States from being an Elector. It is mainly an historical section adopted as part of post-Civil War reconstruction, but as it is written it also applies to any office-holder who is convicted of treason, espionage, etc.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    No election delays. We didn't do it in WWII and we didn't do it in the Civil War (when the army threatening our nation was literally within striking distance of our capital).

If terrorists try to disrupt our election, we should go on anyway. Would it be an ideal election. of course not.Stuff happens. It happened in the last national election, and while I was not happy with the outcome I am living with it. Same for the next election. It is what we do - we persevere.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    They are having sex with the dead??!!
    Habeas Corpus is the right of the imprisoned to be charged with a crime. Something the "enemy combatants" in Guantanamo Bay aren't being granted.

The Japanese internment camps in WWII were ruled illegal and disbanded by Writ of Habeas Corpus.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Dec 2007, 12:16 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 11 Jul 2005, 11:08 AM
  4. Election results?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5