Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How creative can we get with the state highway?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2004

How creative can we get with the state highway?

I plan to ask the people at Envision Utah this question, but thought I'd come here first. I am trying to help our local government find ways to make the state highway running through our little town more attractive to stoppers and pedestrians. Our general plan calls for the whole frontage to ultimately be zoned for businesses which serve locals and tourists coming through on their way to the nearby national park. There is no heavy truck traffic because, 12 miles further up, the highway goes right through the park and through a narrow tunnel. I wonder if anyone has done any sort of innovative, cooperative plan with a highway department for a more attractive and friendly layout than the usual which is still likely to comply with all of their regulations and etc. I haven't a clue where to look for such a thing, if it exists.

So far we have a couple of shops, some intermittent sidewalks, and a row of trees (I think deciduous trees would make it more inviting, but unfortunately they're all columnar evergreens). We are trying to get the speed limit reduced (currently 50 mph!), which I think will be more likely to happen if people WANT to slow down through town. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Go to the Federal Highway Administration web site and order a book called "Flexibility in Highway Design." It will serve as a good starting point and give you many ideas that you might use. While you are on the site you may want to search for other, similar publications, such as the annual "enhancements" books. All of these are free, and you may be able to get multiple copies.

Highway design is only a part of the way to create a good place. The buildings, and the way the sites are developed, will have a tremendous impact on the feel of the street.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Go to the Federal Highway Administration web site and order a book called "Flexibility in Highway Design." It will serve as a good starting point and give you many ideas that you might use. While you are on the site you may want to search for other, similar publications, such as the annual "enhancements" books. All of these are free, and you may be able to get multiple copies.

Highway design is only a part of the way to create a good place. The buildings, and the way the sites are developed, will have a tremendous impact on the feel of the street.
    You are always helpful, Cardinal. I was glad to find that the entire manual you mention is actually online. It has good stuff in it, and I am on the track of others.

Yes, buildings and parking lots make a huge difference; hope we can do it right.

Thank you!

Registered
    May 1997
    It should also be pointed out that there may be money available for making the highway work better. U-DOT has federal transportation enhancement funds that it can make available to localities for such projects.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Don't know if this addresses your specific situation, but there's a book out there called:

Main Street...when a highway runs through it; A Handbook for Oregon Communities

available at http://www.lcd.state.or.us/tgm/publications.htm

Might be worth taking a look at.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Lee, I will see what I can find out about that- finding some money would certainly help. Vaughan, I'm downloading the Oregon manual right now. Thanks to you both!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 12:32 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Jun 2010, 4:47 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 4:43 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 11:34 PM