Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacant Structures

Registered
    Jul 1998

Vacant Structures

Does anyone have an ordinance that sets a limit on how long a building can be vacant? If the building is unsafe or hazardous, we can act, but we have one that is just vacant. The building owner has 17 years left on a lease from Hardees, so he is content to allow the boarded up building to set for all of those years.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Atta Boy Giff!

You should thank the diety of your choice (or not in the 9th District) that the Hardees is boarded up. The Frisco Melt was just a bag of congealed greese and the fries are just pulpy strings of limpness. Give that man a pat on the back. Who knows how many lives keeping it boarded up will save?

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Atta Boy Giff!

El Guapo wrote:
    You should thank the diety of your choice (or not in the 9th District) that the Hardees is boarded up. The Frisco Melt was just a bag of congealed greese and the fries are just pulpy strings of limpness. Give that man a pat on the back. Who knows how many lives keeping it boarded up will save?
    True, and besides, the service sucked when they were open. I'd still just as soon not look at the boarded up building for 17 years. The lease is $48,000 per year so no one wants to sub lease it either. A KFC/Taco Bell was looking but left. We have no "Adult Use" ordinance, maybe it should be a strip joint.

Registered
    Oct 2001

a possible use.

I always wanted to open a BBQ/Gun Store. I would call it; Ammo Hut or the Uzi-Que. Feel free to use the idea. Perhaps a new path awaits you?

Perhaps dry lightning will strike?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    As far as I know you can't do anything about it until it is dangerous to health and human safety. I lived in a city that had tens of thousands of vacant buildings, and we couldn't do anything about them until they become unboarded. I would love to hear about it if you find anything.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It is the owner's right to keep his building vacant. I don't know that you will find anything that says because a building is not in use it must be knocked down or put to good use.

You could always do what we do in Philly...turn them into crack houses

No seriously, I know here the city goes through hell trying to knock down vacant, dangerous, falling down crack houses. It's not an easy issue to address.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Suggestion 1

Humm?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Vacant buildings or vacant lots?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Aug 2005, 5:14 AM
  2. Vacant lot v vacant structure
    Make No Small Plans