Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tour De France

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Tour De France

OK, for you bike fans out there. Could you explain to me, What is the "Peleton"?

Is that a flat section of land or is that what they call the main "pack of riders"?

What exactly is an escape?

Is less than 10 minutes down to much for Lance?

I am just curious, the race is on and there has been no mention of it here yet. GO UPS!
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 14 Jul 2004 at 11:39 AM. Reason: thread title changed to eliminate derogatory name
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    OK, for you bike fans out there. Could you explain to me, What is the "Peleton"?

Is that a flat section of land or is that what they call the main "pack of riders"?

What exactly is an escape?

Is less than 10 minutes down to much for Lance?

I am just curious, the race is on and there has been no mention of it here yet. GO UPS!
    The peleton is the main pack of riders; an escpae is when a smaller group pulls away from the peleton, usually mid-way in the day's stage (etape). Ten minutes starting into the climb does two things: eliminate the sprinters (who have ruled thus far) and puts the teams to work. Ten minutes going into the mountains is not too much for Armstrong, IMO, although I suspect the grind of four previous TDF wins is taking its toll.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Parlance

What is "the pack" (or peleton)?
    The pack is a big group of riders. All grouped together and riding at the same speed. The term peleton is euro-speak for pack (more or less).

What is a "breakaway"?
    This is a smaller group of riders that break away from the main pack.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    ...Ten minutes going into the mountains is not too much for Armstrong, IMO, although I suspect the grind of four previous TDF wins is taking its toll.
    Lance is now 6 over all and is now just over 5 minutes behind the leader after being down almost 10!

WOOOOWHOOOOOO!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Lance is now 6 over all and is now just over 5 minutes behind the leader after being down almost 10!

WOOOOWHOOOOOO!
    I don't think anyone is going to beat him again this year. No one can touch him on the hills. Go Lance! I participate in his foundation's fundraiser and have read his book which is very inspirational.

WOOOOWHOOOOOO!
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Duke, but Lance is still 9:35 back from the lead. He was 5:19 off the lead in today's stage, but finished with identical time to the current leader, so no change in overall time behind. Still, I like his chances overall.

Here's a link -- http://cbs.sportsline.com/cycling/standings
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Duke, but Lance is still 9:35 back from the lead. He was 5:19 off the lead in today's stage, but finished with identical time to the current leader, so no change in overall time behind. Still, I like his chances overall.

Here's a link -- http://cbs.sportsline.com/cycling/standings
    Thanks, I saw that a few minutes later after posting. Still.......WOOOOOO WHHOOOOOO!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Snicker...snicker...

Tour DAY France

Go Bobke!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    so WHEN lance wins this year...do you think he should keep riding or retire a champion...i always have mixed feelings about a champion retiring and never having to rightfully concede defeat...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    so WHEN lance wins this year...do you think he should keep riding or retire a champion...i always have mixed feelings about a champion retiring and never having to rightfully concede defeat...
    ABSOLUTLY NOT, he begins to look for the team to pass the torch to, winning 2 more or 1 more and then supporting the successor!

Might as well push it and go for another!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Lance gains 4 plus minutes and is about 5.5 minutes behind leader and sits in second place!

What exactly is an attack and counterattack in cycling?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    What exactly is an attack and counterattack in cycling?
    Something to do with race strategy of team and individuals in break away group and leadership.
    Oddball

An attack is one or more riders pulling ahead of the peloton, typically mid-race, but it can occur at any point. The peloton may decide to let the attackers go, or to counter-attack to bring them back in. Because the race is decided by minutes, the strategy of attack and counter-attack gets much more lively once the race is in the mountains, as it is now.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Sep 2001
    An attack typically occurs when a group has "broken away" and a single rider or group or riders tries to bridge to the leading group, but it can also be when a person decides to go off the front. The counter attack occurs when the team mates of those in the lead group go to the front of the peleton and pick up the pace long enough to catch those that are trying to escape. Once the attackers are caught, the team mates of the lead group will typically ride at the front to block for a awhile and let the escape build up the lead again.

What will sometimes happen is a series of attacks one after the other in an attempt to crush the spirits of those defending the lead group.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I know it is blatant commercialization and they use economic slaves in the production of their goods for the uncaring burgeeious...yada yada yaddddaaaa....but this commercial is mezmerizing to me, not because it is The Lance but because it captures the joy of the bicycle so utterly and accurately....so I say thank you Nike

el Guapo links - you decide.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I know this image may not be popular, but had to post it....

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    [QUOTE=el Guapo]I know it is blatant commercialization and they use economic slaves in the production of their goods for the uncaring burgeeious...yada yada yaddddaaaa....but this commercial is mezmerizing to me, not because it is The Lance but because it captures the joy of the bicycle so utterly and accurately....so I say thank you Nike
    QUOTE]

That is a way cool ad, I have never seen it. I got chills while watching it and can't wait for my dang foot to heal so I can get back out and ride.

Yes it may be commercilication but it was a well done ad.

Seriously, Why do they do that??
    As for El Guapo's favorite commercial, Where is the bike light Lance, huh??

Registered
    Jul 2003
    If you are "Droped" by the peleton, are you out of the race? Or does that only happen if you "abandon" the tour?

When they say "bunch", does that sort of mean the back half of the Peleton? Or is that the straglers behind the Peleton?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is an article worth your attention:

Training Bible Studies with Joe Friel: Strength in numbers
    Gain an advantage with team tactics and strategy
    http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/3392.0.html
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If you are "Droped" by the peleton, are you out of the race? Or does that only happen if you "abandon" the tour?

When they say "bunch", does that sort of mean the back half of the Peleton? Or is that the straglers behind the Peleton?
    Dropped is when you fall off the back of a group and can't get back on. That was kept happening to Thomas Voeckler today and to Jan Ullrich.

Abandon is to quit the tour. Too bad about Hamilton today, mayo almost cracked and quit also, but continued.

Bunch, is a group smaller than the peleton that is typically "soft" pedalling just to finish a stage and is usually out of contention for the GC.

Voeckler sure has heart, to bad tomorrow is the last day he'll be wearing the jersey.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Voeckler sure has heart, to bad tomorrow is the last day he'll be wearing the jersey.

How many days left to the climbing portion of the race?

I assume this is where lance turns into the climbing machine. How many days of climbs does he have to build up the lead required to win when the terrain goes flat and the remaining sprinters come back into play?

It seems that the USPS guys seem to sit in front of the Peleton and set a blazing pace like robots and not worrying about the escapes or attacks.

Today it seemed like they were just working to demoralize the rest in the Peleton.

Can you cut people off in bike racing like they do in NASCAR? Sounds like there are rules of ettiquitte, what are some of them?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This is a long one.

Etiquette and bike racing are like etiquette and cats, when you do something wrong, you'll be chastised.

Examples from todays stage

1) when armstrong flatted the group coasted until he was able to catch back up. NEVER attack when a competitor has a mechanical, crashes or is taking a leak. One exception is that those in the break may continue to race.

2) when one of the posties dropped back after his pull, levi patted him on the back and said good job. They all know that they are suffering and enjoy making eachother suffer so you recognize others hard work.

3) Know your role, there was a lot of talk about Jan now having to ride for a team mate, as a team player he will if asked to.

4) Prize money is divied up between team mates. When armstrong won the tour dupont and a few other races there was a million dollar bonus (paid out over 20 years), he took a lesser amount then to pay out to the rest of the team.

5) Sometimes winning the stage is less important then winning the race. Look at yesterday when armstrong and basso finished. For basso winning the stage is more important to hime then to armstrong. look at armstrong a few years back with pantinin, out of respect he let him win the stage.

6) Watch where you spit.

As for the rules, the books I have are about 300 pages long and describe everything from the shape of tubes of a bike, the number of spokes, how to sprint the points system for a stage race etc. I think they can be found at www.uci.ch I am sure there is also an outline of the rules on the tours website.

Cutting people off is generally discouraged and illegal, blocking them however is not. The subtle difference is that a block occurs by choosing a strategic line and keeping it, vs the dodge and weave of a cut off. Also note that for a final sprint, you must be heading to the line at 90 to the line or else you may be relegated.

From what I know they have a flat stage tomorrow, then a rest day then back into the hills for a few days (the alps) then onto Paris. there is still an individual Time Trial, that is a whole other kettle of fish.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I remember when USPS first started their sponsorship back in the Miguel Indurain days. They got really lucky that Lance came along because back then almost no one in this country cared about the Tour. What good did it do for Europeans to see the USPS logo when they couldn't use the service? But the same arguement could have been made for ONCE.

But Lance came along, got cancer, fought it and came back. I think it was the come back from cancer that caught the public's imagination and got him endorsement deals like Nike. I still remember thinking he was through with cycling the year half way through the tour during a rainy day he suddenly quit the race.

It's worked out well for USPS because of the increased interest in this country in the Tour and in Lance. I can't give them credit for that because back when they first started their sponsorship, there was no reason to believe much would come out of it.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    What good did it do for Europeans to see the USPS logo when they couldn't use the service? But the same arguement could have been made for ONCE.
    None of ONCE's primary client group could see their sponsorship.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from France.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 31 Jan 2013, 4:54 PM
  2. Greetings from France
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 6:48 PM
  3. Greetings from France !