Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: On another Planning Committee...Office Picnic Committee

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

On another Planning Committee...Office Picnic Committee

You would think the office picnic would be easy....we have staff of about 70 or so.... and it isn't so easy. Anyone else going through such fun? We have burgers, hotdogs, subs, salads, veggie dishes,, etc. We have our holiday party catered...but do the picnic all ourselves at one of our county parks. The picnic is a month away... it is a lot of work.. but usually ends up a fun afternoon. I am one of six on the committee.. who does everything to put the thing together. The day off... we usually use our interns as slave labor as well.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Our company is crazy enough to do a day at the waterpark. I can't imagine seeing co-workers in bathing suits.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We have a fairly large summer picnic every year too - over on the Island. We get the afternoon off to go drink and BBQ.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am sorry and I don't mean to offend, but ...er...I dont' see what the problem is. :-} The military hosts stuff like that all the time. And, um, it just isn't a real big deal to arrange. Care to enlighten me?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I am sorry and I don't mean to offend, but ...er...I dont' see what the problem is. :-} The military hosts stuff like that all the time. And, um, it just isn't a real big deal to arrange. Care to enlighten me?
    so the military IS a picnic

We organize events like picnics (meetings)...of course that comes in handy...it just takes a lot of time to do...on top of our other work! Also... we are doing the cooking, transportation.. everything. We are a planning office... designing wet lands, reviewing land use, transportation,, and other plans...just another pile of work to do. And no good laws to guide us!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    so the military IS a picnic
    Nah, life is a picnic. The army is like army ants visiting your picnic. :-P
    And no good laws to guide us!
    There are "laws" for such things. You just obviously lack a former career military WIFE to guide you! If you had a good one of those, she would just issue you all the orders you need -- a phone tree for whom you are responsible for calling, a list of supplies and which ones get assigned to the most reliable people because you cannot live without them, a set of guidelines for what makes for a successful 'pot luck' dish, and then she could coordinate rides for anyone who does not have one.

But I guess planners lack such vital training.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Financial committee
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Apr 2009, 5:59 PM