Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chicago's Millennium Park

Registered
    May 2003

Chicago's Millennium Park

These were all taken on opening day of the park at around Five PM. Overall, I love the park. The bandshell is typicall Gehry narcissism but the rest of the park is great, and the lawn with the speaker lattice above is superb. I'm sure Hizzonah is beaming right now.

Looking east across Michigan.

The face fountians by Plensa. The faces are of Chicagoans of various ethnic backgrounds.

And they spit.

The Kapoor sculpture. It's not supposed to have seams but it's not finished.

The Gehry bandshell.

I think the bandshell is pretty dorky but the lawn is great. The lattice above holds speakers, and gives the lawn a sense of enclosure.

Under the Kapoor. It's a real crowd pleaser.

The Gehry bridge.

I must say I'm pleased with the bridge, I expected a lot worse when I saw the drawings of it.

The path is circuitous but not overly protracted, and it serves a useful purpose by making the bridge ADA complaint.

The bandshell from the bridge.

News crew.

The back of the bandshell.

Randolph street looking west from the park. With VIPs arriving by taxi.

VIPs.

Chicago's finest on a nerdmobile.

I don't know what they're doing ether.

A drum concert.

Yours truly. The guy with the Pearl bag is a friend of mine.

Looking West on Washington St.

Cabaret dancers.

Larger versions are available here:
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us/g...illennium_Park

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Great pictures there Jordon. Wonderful veiws of exemplary urbanism.

I'm not a fan of most of Gehry's stuff, but I have to admit to liking the bandshell. And you're right, the lattice work over the lawn does work well at lending a sense of enclosure.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree, excellent pics! Thanks for sharing. The park is deffinitely on my list of things to do this summer when I come down to see the Seurat exhibition at the Art Institute.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thanks for posting these pictures JordanB. I agree the bandstand is a bit too much "look at me" for a setting where people come to see performers. The Kapoor sculpture looks great but I can't help thinking of the movie with Woody Allen covetting an orb - is it "The Sleeper".

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Awesome pictures. I have to admit, I was worried about the pedestrian bridge, but it looks pretty sweet.

On another note, The Heritage (Hizzonah's new home for the uninitiated) seems to be shaping up nicely... but wasn't it suppossed to be a bit greener?

Gah, september's not gonna get here fast enough... texas kind of pales...

Nice pics, Jb. I could do without the structure over the great lawn -- seems a bit contrived for holding speakers for the folks in the cheap, err ... on the cheap seats. The pic after the pedestrian bridge, looking south down Michigan (?) about mid-photo there is a Second Empire pile formerly known as the Blackstone Hotel (many US Presidents stayed there during visits to the second city). Mrs. G and I stayed there on our honeymoon. I understand that it is being converted to condos. Do you know anything about it?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2003
    The brown one? It's still a hotel, a hilton now. And I believe it's still pretty ritzy, but nothing like the Palmer House, Drake, or Sheridan. It was retrofitted with a big ball room on top of the middle hump that looks over the lake. When "Big Jim" Thompson was governor, they'd have contract signings in that room that my father remembers fondly.

The street you see there is Columbus Ave, but the Hilton is situated on South Michigan.

http://www.voyagenow.com/hotels/chic...nd_towers.html

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Wow, great pic's and the park is way cool. I am also impressed with your web site.
    Great job.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Nice pics, does anyone know how often those fountains change images?

On another note, The Heritage (Hizzonah's new home for the uninitiated) seems to be shaping up nicely... but wasn't it suppossed to be a bit greener?
    That's what I thought, but it doesn't look like it:

rendering:

glass now:

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Supertall
    Nice pics, does anyone know how often those fountains change images?
    I was there last weekend. The faces change fairly frequently. every 10 minutes or so.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    I think "heritage" for a new building at a new park is a really bad name.

It is a shame that the building isnt green; itd be a lovely color for that spot. Perhaps the green is going to come from a coating of some sort that they add after installation? Id guess that they decided the green tint would be unnatural inside the apartments and decided to dump it altogether though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Feb 2012, 10:48 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 5:11 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 9:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 9:27 AM
  5. Vancouver's Millennium SkyTrain Line
    Transportation Planning