Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Solidarity Forever?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Solidarity Forever?

So Toronto is in the middle of some major labour strife - the outside workers (Garbage Collectors, Parks maintenance, Ferry Operators) are on strike now. The police have rejected their tentative deal, the Firefighters have been without a contract for 4 years and are now on work-to-rule. And the inside workers (Health Inspectors, day-care, building inspectors, and PLANNERS) are set to strike tomorrow (well, Tuesday - it's a long weekend after all).

I'm not looking forward to my forced vacation.

Any other planners out there part of the union brother/sisterhood? Is this a common thing? Any Planners out there ever been on strike?

Job security is the main issue - the existing collective agreement states no layoffs for employees with 10 years of service. The City wants to up, while the union wants to reduce it. While it's kind of amusing to watch the Mayor and the union heads blame each other for this mess, it's definitely not fun to be caught in the middle.

Will I be a "scab" if I keep posting at cyburbia (from home of course)?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our professional staff are non-union. Our unions have no-strike clauses in the contracts. Good luck.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm union, and our contract specifically has a no-strike provision to it. We renegotiate every 3 years, and have never had any issues that I'm aware of.

Growing up in a union family (my Dad is part of the Graphic Communications International Union...been Sec. Treasurer for years) I know what it's like to go through difficult negotiations. Fortunately, I've never had to experience a strike at any time in my family.

Good luck, and I hope that things work out!

And no, you're not a scab for posting here from home! We're not the City of Toronto.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have a spare room if times get tough - I'd even consider letting a Canadian Labor (or is it Labour?) Troublemaker stay there, but you would have to go to the gun range with me once a week and no singing Oh' Canada before the games. OK?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Tranplanner, I've checked th weather in Toronto, and it seems it's a lovely week for a strike. Never feel too bad about a vacation, forced or not!

As for me, I'm union, but it's mostly just for the dental. No doubt I'll be kicked out someday when they catch me reading Edmund Burke, Milton Friedman and back issues of National Review during my mandated 15 minute afternoon break...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Yeah, at least the weather will be nice. And my fiancee has already drawn up a list of things for me to do. It'd be the perfect vacation if I was getting paid for it!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Wow none of the gov workers save for cops where i worked in NC were unionized, nor are they here in VA.

Never crossed my mind that planners in the public sector could be in a union.

Plannergirl
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We seem to be un-unioning around here. Over the last few years, at least a couple of our businesses' employees have disbanded their local, and this year our city clerical staff shed the Teamsters. Not bad from an economic developer's point of view.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Our town's workforce is subject to I think 7 different unions, but the professional staff (including planners) is not unionized - just under NYS Civil Service. However, both my parents are heavily involved in their unions - they both work in a school district - so you have my sympathies.

It's too bad your strike can't be like the one IPS had on "The King of Queens", where Doug's union went on strike. The strike was basically spending your day with all the other striking employees while BBQ-ing ribs and playing frisbee outside their building with the occasional sign waving.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Well, it's Tuesday and I'm still here (at work). Negotiations are still ongoing...

The City is starting to suffer under the effects of no garbage pick-up and no swimming pools (the last 3-4 days have been 30+ degrees - celsius. that's like 90F).

I've been staring at your avatar Kelly, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 23 May 2011, 1:57 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Jun 2005, 5:29 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 21 Jan 2005, 3:24 PM
  4. Duct Tape Forever
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Nov 2002, 8:44 AM