Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Greyhound Bus to reduce service in 13 states

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Greyhound Bus to reduce service in 13 states

Greyhound Lines has announced that it will eliminate bus service to about 260 locations in 13 states from Illinois to Washington state, beginning Aug. 18. The reduction represents about 10 percent of the company's stops in the United States, said Kim Plaskett, a Greyhound spokeswoman.

The service cuts, which the company said were made in the interest of profitability, are the first in a nationwide system restructuring that will occur over the next two to three years. Greyhound's aim is to focus more on short- and medium-haul traffic.

A listing of the cities and towns that are losing service, along with the nearest alternative stops, can be found by going to www.greyhound.com and clicking on the link under Service Advisory.

This will be a BIG impact.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Well, at least it'll hopefully give Amtrak some business. It sure needs it.

Registered
    May 2003
    Amtrak has too much buisness. It needs more money and trains.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Amtrak has too much buisness. It needs more money and trains.
    As part of my 'internship experience' I took the train from my home in Spokane, Wa to Washington, DC. Now I've had the opportunity to travel a lot by train in foreign countries that have some of the best train systems in the world (Japan) and some that are more on par with ours (Thailand, TransManchurian). It's my favorite way to travel...if I have the time. It angers me that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world our train system is so neglected. We were running 9 hours late by the time we got to Chicago. From Chicago to DC we were 4 hours late. There was an option at one point to hop on a bus to get there sooner, but I passed. It seemed like going from bad to worse. We deserve a better system than this. I'd really like to see some govt. subsidies for track/technology development (not to mention Ops. & Maint.) on par with the highway/freeway system. I will be visiting my Congressman while I'm here in DC.

Does TEA21 offer any hope?

Brian

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I can see why they'd want to cut the smaller stops.

When I took the bus from Buffalo to Pittsburgh, the bus took almost 8 hours to get there, while it would have normally only taking 3 if I was driving . The bus ending up taking this wacky route through the Pennsylvania country-side, stopped to pick up some mail, stopped to pick-up a person here, a person there, until we finally got to picksburg. Then the damn 579 was backed up due to the stinkin pirates game. I was ready to jump off the damn bridge seeing how we were over the bus and train terminal. Never again.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Fortunately, this won't have any impact on me. BTW, I remember riding in a bus once.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by spokanite
    Does TEA21 offer any hope?
    For Amtrak? No.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My brother is taking Greyhound (for the first time ever) from Tallahassee to Altanta on Friday becuase his truck is broken and he does not like to fly. I am very curious to hear about his experience (how crowded it is, whether it keeps schedule, etc..)....and will post it here.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I took a bus from Ft. Leonard Wood, MO (BFE) to Ft. Lee, VA (near Richmond). It took 28 hours. Luckily there was room to spread out but it was still one of the most miserable travel experiences of my life.

Some friends of mine took a bus from Raleigh, NC to San Francisco. 50 hours in each direction. They both said they'd never do it again.

At any rate, there are a ton of regional carriers out there that i'm sure will pick up the slack if there's any demand for it. It would be great if Amtrak and the bus carriers were better integrated but Amtrak has a long way to go in the speed department before that happens. There was just an article in the Inqy today about how PennDOT and the feds are pledging $150 million to upgrade the main line to Harrisburg. The "upgrades" are actually only restoring the line to its former glory but will allow the trains to run at 100 to 110mph. It will cut 15 minutes off of a 2 hour trip. That's huge. If there was a train that averaged 100 miles an hour over the course of a trip and i could get to Chicago in 8 hours or the west coast in 30 hours i would never fly.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Ok, I spoke with my brother and he had a very good experience on Greyhound. I asked him how it was and he joking replied that he made two dates and four friends. :-P

But then went on to explain that the bus left Tally on time and made it to ATL on time. He also mentioned that he enjoyed the route because the bus went through and stopped in all the old southern Ga. small historic towns. towns he had not seen before when speeding accross the land on a highway in a personal auto.

The only negative he said is that there were a few crazies at the station. Apparantly he asked 3 or 4 people for the time before he found someone with a 'working' watch. ...but then he didnt have one either :-S

Go Greyhound

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Mar 2012, 5:47 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Dec 2007, 1:16 PM
  3. Impact fees to reduce sprawl?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 May 2007, 8:36 PM
  4. Replies: 7