Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: If I were her, I'd probably run, too

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

If I were her, I'd probably run, too

The following is from the New York Post:

May 6, 2005 -- Bolting bride Jennifer Wilbanks was chaste away — by her fiancé's insistence on abstinence, friends of the sex-deprived couple claim.

"She told people the fact that she and [husband-to-be John Mason] were not having sex was upsetting," a friend of Wilbanks' told People magazine, which hits newsstands today.

Mason was once a "wild" guy who "dated a lot," his running pal Ted King said.

But he became a born-again virgin — eschewing premarital sex — five years ago after pledging himself to his Baptist faith, friends said.

"He's been saving himself for the right woman," Mason's friend Andy Parsons told the magazine.

And friends say that likely drove the marathon enthusiast to run — from the altar.

[snip]

Wilbanks — who got breast implants before meeting Mason — "had lots of boyfriends," a friend told People.

[snip]

"I cannot fully explain what happened to me last week," the runaway bride wrote in a rambling statement read by her pastor at a press conference. There were "a host of compelling issues which seemed out of control."

[snip]

"In my mind, it was never about the timing, however unfortunate. I was simply running from myself and from certain fears controlling my life."
    :

What kind of thing is that to do to your fiancee? They both used to have active sex lives with other people, and she might have been feeling a bit ... oh, randy?
    Was the "abduction" really a national story about a woman needing a booty call!?

I've met women who declare their "born-again virginity" just week a before our first date. I don't want to sound like a horndog, but that's a deal-breaker; why have indiscriminate sex with tons of other guys, but not someone you truly love?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Yah, but for crying out loud she was about to get laid in a couple days. If she waited that long, what was two more days?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    What is that "born-again virginity" BS? Once you lose it you can't get it back brain deads!
    why have indiscriminate sex with tons of other guys, but not someone you truly love?
    That's a very good question, and nobody in their right minds can support such statement....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I've met women who declare their "born-again virginity" just week a before our first date. I don't want to sound like a horndog, but that's a deal-breaker; why have indiscriminate sex with tons of other guys, but not someone you truly love?
    I never thought of it that way, but you are right.

Interesting and enlightening perspective. I have a story to go with this, but I am trying to kick the thread hijacking habit.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Yah, but for crying out loud she was about to get laid in a couple days. If she waited that long, what was two more days?
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!
    That make NO sense, if she had waited that long to sleep with the guy and was a day away from doing it why run NOW????

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!
    That make NO sense, if she had waited that long to sleep with the guy and was a day away from doing it why run NOW????
    Uh... I wouldn't want to marry a guy I'd never slept with (god, I hope my kids never read this!) I mean, that's such an important part of marriage and a relationship... what if there's no chemistry? Hell, I wouldn't even marry a guy that I haven't lived with...after living with other guys and figuring out after a brief domestic experience that it was hell. Like Dan said, I'd run too. Of course I would have told the people in my life that I was running though...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Uh... I wouldn't want to marry a guy I'd never slept with (god, I hope my kids never read this!) I mean, that's such an important part of marriage and a relationship... what if there's no chemistry? Hell, I wouldn't even marry a guy that I haven't lived with...after living with other guys and figuring out after a brief domestic experience that it was hell. Like Dan said, I'd run too. Of course I would have told the people in my life that I was running though...
    Well put, and my thoughts exactly....except substitute the word "girl" for "guy."
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Didn't even think about it that way...you are correct...I would never want to marry a man I hadnt slept or lived with...then I again, I personally will probably never get married again
    I knew ALL about my ex before I married him, as a matter of fact our 4 year old was our ring barer

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Wanigas post removed for poor taste language choice.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Maybe she had a rookie pro athlete pre game fears...

Maybe she was worried that she would not be able to "perform" up to his expectations and needed "practice" before the “big game”.

But it still does not make any since. The husband to be was probably giving his buddies high fives and swinging at the driving range (since he doesn’t drink) in exciting anticipation of the big night ahead.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I completely agree with you, but in her case, she shouldn't have gotten engaged, planned a wedding, and then let it get that far. People freak out all the time and I don't blame her if she would have had the balls to call off the wedding. Causing that much pain and anguish to friends and family is inexcusable, and now she is trying to backtrack to get out of it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    They were living together I dont buy the no lovey dovey stuff.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    But it still does not make any since. The husband to be was probably giving his buddies high fives and swinging at the driving range (since he doesn’t drink) in exciting anticipation of the big night ahead.
    The big event? He’s been celibate for five years so it will probably be more of a 30 second incident.

I doubt this was the reason she ran, but it's most likely safe to assume that it was just more pressure that she didn't need and couldn't handle.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Excellent point! Maybe the reason she had "a host of compelling issues which seemed out of control" was a reference to something that physically manifested on/in her body which would be evidence of cheating and the only way to hide the evidence would be in a another state with more liberal laws.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    She couldn't find a suitable Johnson in town?

+ Reply to thread