+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The most generic of cars

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The most generic of cars

Yet another car thread, folks.

What kind of car do you think is the most generic of all vehicles, a car that exudes absolutely no personality, or no positive or negative vibes of any sort? What car could have a badge on the back of it which reads just "CAR" or "AUTOMOBILE"?

My vote goes to 1990s and early 2000s-era Korean econobox sedans. Any of 'em just scream "GENERIC!" Really, they don't scream anything. They're just ... there. The Kia Spectra is an outstanding example of a plain, plain, plain looking vehicle. If I was asked to identify one as witness to a hit-and-run accident, I couldn't.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about a 4-door Horizon - pretty plain.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I know they are reliable and everything and thus the perfect car for a household that views automobiles as "appliances," but I can't think of a single Toyota or Honda product that has any real "personality." Certainly not the Accord/Camry or Civic/Corolla pairs.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I know they are reliable and everything and thus the perfect car for a household that views automobiles as "appliances," but I can't think of a single Toyota or Honda product that has any real "personality." Certainly not the Accord/Camry or Civic/Corolla pairs.
    Can’t argue with you there. As an owner of an Accord I can say that, other than a rear spoiler and some shiny rims, there is nothing to distinguish my car from at least 10 others in any given parking lot.

Although, in my defense, and as little as I drive on a regular basis, I have to say that in my income bracket I have to sadly admit that I can’t view a car as any thing other than an appliance. Truly sad considering how much I love cars.
    Last edited by biscuit; 21 Jul 2004 at 8:22 AM.

Toyota
    How dare you!!!!! JUst kidding. I actually think my Toyota Tacoma has a guy just getting by/feel/look/vibe - it is bland. I actually got this response from a couple of coworkers whose lives revolve around vehicles. One has a Chevy Tahoe , the owner is a sex machine, no kids, no wife, it's the vehicle that gets him action and we hear about it. The other guy owns a Jetta, he's more thoughtful and likes the vehicle for its social purposes -it looks cool when he has friends in the car and they're out on the town. I would describe both as wannabe metrosexuals. Sorry not trying to turn the thread into a personality of car owner thing.
    Ford Topaz and Tempo were definately blah.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Can’t argue with you there. As an owner of an Accord I can say that other than a rear spoiler and some shiny rims there is nothing to distinguish my car from at least 10 others in a parking lot.

Although, in my defense, and as little as I drive on a regular basis, I have to say that in my income bracket I can sadly admit that I can’t view a car as any thing other than an appliance. Truly sad considering how much I love cars.
    The car as appliance should be MY opinion as well-especially given my dislike of auto-oriented urbanism and sprawl. I drive a LOT for pleasure-mostly to get to the Bay Area's core.

I do still love cars. I just wish they didn't so dominate our landscape and our lives.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    K- cars.....the worst. Almost anything from early 80's...

also chevy caprice, lincoln continental, crown victoria.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    the lastest (and last) model of the Buick Century.

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Can’t argue with you there. As an owner of an Accord I can say that, other than a rear spoiler and some shiny rims, there is nothing to distinguish my car from at least 10 others in any given parking lot.
    And even that does not.

is this your car?

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    K- cars.....the worst.
    I agree. These were some of the worst.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's true that historically the big auto companies have exhibited a marked tendency to imitate each others designs (call it market driven) whether it be fins, absence of chrome or boxy shape and this passes for fashion in the world of cars. But I think the 90's ushered in the Great Age of Conformity in design. Practically ALL new cars look alike now. Tell me its just me, but it's booooring.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Saturns seem like the most boring of the current boring sedans.

Every car commercial says their car is "different and exciting" no matter how average they look.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Checy Corsica - a standard car

Saturn SL1 - the standard car

1988 Honda Accord - looks like a standard car

Pontiac 6000 - here it is again!

1992 Plymouth Voyeger - the everyday everywhere every-VAN
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    K- cars.....the worst. Almost anything from early 80's..
    That reminds me of one of my personal hells. When I first started at the NJDOT, they had K-cars. I had to endure many hours of riding around on the ugly highways of NJ with my conservative, taciturn, "I don't like cities" supervisor, listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio. Some of the cars seemed to have exhaust leaks, because I'd feel light-headed and sick after long trips sometimes. I was convinced I was doing penance for a crime committed in a previous incarnation. Not that I was embarrassed to be in a K-car, but that the company and situation was so troubling.

Getting to know some NYC residents has enlightened me to the fact that not everyone out there makes judgements about you from the car you drive. Most of them don't own cars, so its just less of a personality element.

I think that the Chevy Cavalier is a very generic car. I kind of agree with the Camry/Corolla and the Accord/Civic arguments. However the new Carollas are pretty nice and the new 2-door accord coupes are sweet looking, especially the black ones.

I drive a 99 Accord coupe now, so I guess I have a generic car
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Getting to know some NYC residents has enlightened me to the fact that not everyone out there makes judgements about you from the car you drive. Most of them don't own cars, so its just less of a personality element.
    and then of course,, in NYC-metro area..you have your "station car"... like an upstate winter-rat only used year-round to park at the train station. I have kept a car for commuting...why beat the heck out of my nice car?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    I think that the Chevy Cavalier is a very generic car.
    Those are the main vehicle in my city's motor pool and I can say with confidence that not only are they very generic, they are also complete pieces of crap. I've driven lawn mowers that were more reliable and had more get-up-and-go then those cars.
    I kind of agree with the Camry/Corolla and the Accord/Civic arguments. However the new Carollas are pretty nice and the new 2-door accord coupes are sweet looking, especially the black ones.

I drive a 99 Accord coupe now, so I guess I have a generic car
    I drive the same model exept mine's a sedan, making me even more generic than you. It must just be something about North American tastes (or lack thereof) that inspires auto companies to sell such generic designs. In Europe, for example, their version of the Accord is sold aover here as the more stylish Acura TL.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    And even that does not.

is this your car?
    Yeah cause y'all know I'm too fast and too furious. I need the speed to ensure I'm never late to a neighborhood meeting.....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My second car was an AMC Hornet. Very basic. But I liked it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oldsmobile & Pontiac Sedan's

Any Olds or Pontiac Sedan...from the 80'-90's is as plain as could be....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2003

The Ford Tempo... so generic it shouldn't have a name. I like to call mine "the car invisible to women"
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    The Ford Tempo... so generic it shouldn't have a name. I like to call mine "the car invisible to women"

can you drive over blue-hair speed in that car???

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by tsc

can you drive over blue-hair speed in that car???

That is so funny. There is a lady here in town with a powder blue Tempo. She looks out through the steering wheel while driving about 10mph.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2003
    The 1977 Ford Granada:

The 1965 Rambler American:

I learned to drive with a '66 American. It had "three on the tree." Total chick magnet.

How 'bout this one?
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Checy Corsica - a standard car
    Looks a lot like the car I retired last November. I had been driving her since '96.

I also can't tell the difference in a Camry or Corolla unless I'm reading the model type off of the back.
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Quote Originally posted by giff57
    That is so funny. There is a lady here in town with a powder blue Tempo. She looks out through the steering wheel while driving about 10mph.
    Has anyone seen the video of the jet landing on the I-5, the guy in the SUV and the blue-hair? Hilarious.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 03 Jul 2012, 2:16 PM
  2. Generic FAC Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 89
    Last post: 11 Nov 2011, 4:34 PM