Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Iraqi Nukes found?!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Iraqi Nukes found?!

News is reporting the find of three functional nuclear warheads buried under concrete outside of Tikrit. My first reaction was, "when did we plant them and is the concrete still soft" B-)

But as this sinks in, I'm thinking, "if this is confirmed by the international community, it changes everything doesnt it?"

EDIT: Any processed fissionable material CAN be traced to its source. What will we do when we find where it came from (and what if it was the USA?)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    ... "if this is confirmed by the international community, it changes everything doesnt it?"
    Yep, most likely.

If true, most of the liberal pundits will quit and become janitors in the heartland.

Bush, four more years :-P
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    found a short blurb on Reuters. Iraq's Information Ministry was quoted as saying the report was "stupid". heh
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Read the Reuters story, people.

This story was first reported in a local Iraq newspaper.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    News is reporting the find of three functional nuclear warheads buried under concrete outside of Tikrit. My first reaction was, "when did we plant them and is the concrete still soft" B-)

But as this sinks in, I'm thinking, "if this is confirmed by the international community, it changes everything doesnt it?"

EDIT: Any processed fissionable material CAN be traced to its source. What will we do when we find where it came from (and what if it was the USA?)
    Chet funny.....I like Chet......he funny......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Read the Reuters story, people.

This story was first reported in a local Iraq newspaper.
    That was the reason for my comment about confirmation. I wanna see where this one goes...

Registered
    Apr 2003

Al-Sabah . . . hmmmmm

Published on Tuesday, May 4, 2004 by the Associated Press
    Editor-In-Chief of US-Funded Iraqi Newspaper Quits, Complaining of American Control
    by Lee Keath

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The head of a U.S.-funded Iraqi newspaper quit and said Monday he was taking almost his entire staff with him because of American interference in the publication.

On a front-page editorial of the Al-Sabah newspaper, editor-in-chief Ismail Zayer said he and his staff were "celebrating the end of a nightmare we have suffered from for months ... We want independence. They (the Americans) refuse."

Al-Sabah was set up by U.S. officials with funding from the Pentagon soon after the fall of Saddam Hussein last year. Since its first issue in July, many Iraqis have considered it the mouthpiece of the U.S.-led coalition, along with the U.S.-funded television station Al-Iraqiya.

Zayer said almost the entire staff left the paper along with him and that they were launching a new paper called Al-Sabah Al-Jedid ("The New Morning"), which would begin publishing Tuesday.

Zayer had sought to break Al-Sabah away from the Iraqi Media Network, which groups the paper, Al-Iraqiya and a number of radio station and is run by Harris Inc., a Florida-based communications company that won a $96 million Pentagon contract in January to develop the media.

"We informed (Zayer) that the paper would remain part of the IMN," said Tom Hausman of Harris' corporate communications. "He made the decision to resign."

Hausman said Al-Sabah would continue publishing on Tuesday with a new staff.

"We had a project to create a free media in Iraq," Zayer said of the founding of Al-Sabah. "They are trying to control us. We are being suffocated."

Zayer accused Harris of interfering in the paper's workings, including trying to stop some of its advertising and speaking to reporters about articles.

Among the ads that he said Harris tried to prevent was advertisement from a new political organization called "the Iraqi Republican Group." The ad ran in Monday's issue - the last put together by Zayer's staff.

The ad complained of the "griefs of occupation" and called on Iraqi elite to rally "to preserve our nation from destruction."

Zayer said he was told by Harris that the ad was "too political."

© Copyright 2004 Associated Press
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Scenario - Iran nukes Israel
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 28 Oct 2005, 3:32 PM
  2. No Nukes is good nukes?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 27 Feb 2004, 11:13 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Oct 2003, 2:11 AM