Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: integrated cell tower designs...help!!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Somewhere between hard left and hard libertarian

integrated cell tower designs...help!!!!

hey guys.

i am proposing a new cell tower ordinance in my town next week. the general feeling in the town is that free standing towers will not be allowed in the town or growth boundary.i am introducing a "compromise" ordinance that will allow the integration into church steeples and water towers, etc. however, i am stuck. anybody know any other towns in the country in which i can draw off of to draft this ordinance? preferably towns or cities with their codes online that i can review that have had a good experience in regulating these towers. i have looked, but haven't found anything i am happy with. i wish to see what others are doing so i can work on a ordianance specific to my town's situation. any help would be great.

thanks!
    Jesse Ventura in 2012!

"Inside every small problem is a big one trying to get government funding"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Grassroots
    hey guys.

i am proposing a new cell tower ordinance in my town next week. the general feeling in the town is that free standing towers will not be allowed in the town or growth boundary.i am introducing a "compromise" ordinance that will allow the integration into church steeples and water towers, etc. however, i am stuck. anybody know any other towns in the country in which i can draw off of to draft this ordinance? preferably towns or cities with their codes online that i can review that have had a good experience in regulating these towers. i have looked, but haven't found anything i am happy with. i wish to see what others are doing so i can work on a ordianance specific to my town's situation. any help would be great.

thanks!
    Here is the link for the Town of Dennis bylaw:

http://www.town.dennis.ma.us/dept/planning.htm

You will want to look at Section 7 Communication Facilities.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My fellow Moderator NHPlanner has some excellent resources for you, including his thesis on the subject. Maybe PM him for details?

I used NH's work along with some others a few years ago (with Prudence) to draft one of Wisconsin's toughest codes (does still allow towers, monopole only, but need must be demonstrated otherwise they must be stealth).

Our code is here

Google will get you some good resources too.

Finally, be SURE to include legal counsel from the cell phone companies in your efforts. They may be hard to work with, but I found they were actually very helpful and made sure we complied with the Telecom Act of 1996

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Would you live near a cell tower?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 07 Jun 2011, 6:11 PM
  2. Cell tower on public property
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jan 2010, 8:34 PM
  3. Wireless facilities Cell tower pics
    Land Use and Zoning