Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Reuse of buildings

Registered
    Sep 2001

Reuse of buildings

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for how to re-use commercial type buildings that have been 'grandfathered' into a residential area. We have an old Boys Club building (concrete box), but a recent code update stated that commercial schools cannot locate there. Meaning - Peter Pans' School of Dance or Van Gogh's Art Insitute cannot locate there to teach dance or art.
    I have a person interested in doing medical file storage, but no commercial uses are allowed, even conditionally, within a residential use zone. The Boys and Girls Club is now sitting on a White Elephant that seems to have turned rabid. Not a good place to be. I'm trying to find ways to help them sell this property, but am stuck.

So, what I'm looking for is guidance in figuring out potential uses for this type of building. instead of having is just site there and rot within the neighborhood.
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Without greater flexibility in the zoning, it will be difficult. How about day care (assuming there is a market)? Other thoughts might be a church or community building.

Is it a candidate for redevelopment? If the building itself does not have much value and the land is decent, you might be able to structure a tear-down and residential redevelopment, perhaps with TIF assistance.

Registered
    Sep 2001

reuse

You're spot on with the zoning, that's the main difficulty right now. The building is a former gymnasium/play center for the Boys and Girls Club. It could be used as a church, but it would be a massive daycare and traffic is the main issue. It also sits on a main arterial.

I was hoping someone out there might have some ideas. The building has value, it's only recently been vacant. I still think the Club uses it for some local area activities. Better something than nothin.

At this point I'm not even sure what I'm asking, I guess just frustrated to have another empty building and nothing to do with it.
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about a community based residetial facility? Without knowing the detilas of the building, that may not be realistic, but the Fair Housing Act pretty much allows them regardless of your local codes. Just a thought.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Sep 2011, 9:25 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 28 Jul 2010, 11:34 AM
  3. Industrial reuse
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 11:24 AM
  4. Reuse of building materials
    Design, Space, and Place