4 28.57%
  • Remove Williams and give a compensatory pick at the end of Round #1

5 35.71%
Closed thread

Thread: The Planderella Predicament

Registered
    Oct 2001

The Planderella Predicament

What to do? If y'all recall, she did vote for a August 2 start date.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Damn I don't know. I picked immediate removal and repick, but I was torn between that and a pick at the end of round one.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I voted to let her have another crack at the end of round 1. That being said, if we let her take another pick, and williams decides not to retire he should be an ineligible player for the year for our league.

I remember last year, Mike D commented about how early we started things for reasons like this.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    When my turn was up, I was initially going to wait until Monday to make my pick. I just had a feeling something screwy like this would happen. Since the draft began earlier than what was originally planned, I think I should be allowed to drop the loser and pick again, then let the draft resume with the next team that's up.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    this will probably bite me in the @$$ but i voted that the team is stuck with the williams pick. what if this happens again up until august 2? are we going to allow re-picks again? sorry
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I have a suspicion that Williams will be back before camp is over. Certain promises and $$'s out to bring him back. Wanstedt's job depends on this year.

But, I voted for her to release her pick and immediately pick a new one. Also, Williams should be ineligible for the entire season.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The ff purist in me says you're stuck with the pick - sorry but injuries, retirements, contract holdouts, indictments, etc. are all just part of the game. The Jamal Lewis situation this year, and Rae Carruth, Joey Galloway, William Green, Barry Sanders, on and on, in previous years, are all just part of the breaks. That being said, this is just a game for fun and if Planderella is totally bummed about the pick, no big deal, just let her repick now. I would totally support that decision.).

I really don't like the pick at the end of the round (completely and totally selfish reasons) as it would fall between my first two picks and it's already hard enough picking last in this 16-team keeper league.

I am opposed to making Ricky ineligible. He's just too good looking to be left on the sidelines. And, this is a keeper league.

Run Ricky Run.......to the pharmacy to get your meds........

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    this will probably bite me in the @$$ but i voted that the team is stuck with the williams pick. what if this happens again up until august 2? are we going to allow re-picks again? sorry
    That's exactly why we're voting on it... If it had been an injury, we wouldn't be doing it. She'd be stuck. But how out of the blue can you get? "S'cuse me, but I'm giving up millions so I can do bong hits..."

If it comes down to it, I'm going to go middle of the road and say 'end of the round'. That way, no one else is screwed out of their #1 pick because of Ricky, either...

Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I have a suspicion that Williams will be back before camp is over. Certain promises and $$'s out to bring him back. Wanstedt's job depends on this year.

But, I voted for her to release her pick and immediately pick a new one. Also, Williams should be ineligible for the entire season.
    It could happen... Or, like Barry Sanders, he could be done. It was two years before people quit picking Barry with their last pick "just in case". If he's available, someone can waste a pick put him on the roster. (That's just a commish decision, sorry.)
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 02 Aug 2005 at 4:38 PM.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    compensatory pick at the end of the round.....Normally, I'm w/ geog that the pick would be final.....but I'm not so cold hearted since we're just playing for fun.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't mean to sound like a heartless bastard but sorry, I don't think there should be any compensation. Jeff got screwed last year taking Vick right before he got injured and didn't get any sympathy. Who knows what might happen to somebody else's picks during training camp.

What happens if Williams decides to "unretire" next week?

Yes, we're playing for fun - and part of the fun is ragging on other people's misfortunes
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 26 Jul 2004 at 9:08 AM.

While the league is for fun, it does have a certain value -- one year's bragging rights as the top CFFL player in the forums

With an injury I can go along with the feeling that *them's the breaks* (it's happened to me too many times in my home $$ league). But a 27 year old stud retires? I say supplemental pick at the end of the round and Ricky is eliminated from the season.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Not that I'm biased for Planderella , but my vote is that she or anyone in this type of predicament be allowed to release the player in question. IMHO, the draft should not resume until that team is afforded the opportunity to select another player.

Even though some of you disagree with my opinion, I think that it's fair to allow such a concession. No one wants to be confronted with such a disruptive situation and the sooner it's rectified the better.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Okay, I realize in re-reading the thread that I'm obviously being too mean. But if Planderella gets a re-pick, it should be at the end of the round - otherwise all those who have yet to pick get shafted.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    fun...this is supposed to be fun? i'm invested in hundreded of dollars of fantasy football pick sheets and player stats...

...not really. i'll fall back on the pick at the end of the round if Planderella is bummed and that way i'm not a cold hearted louse.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001

Sometimes a Commish has to make a tough choice.

Since this is a VERY special circumstance, someone has already made a pick this morning, and even though Plankton hates it....

Planderella and the NO Hot Grits may drop R. Williams at the end of Round #1 and reselect.

Since it won't make everyone happy, it's probably the right choice. So Plank? Let that pretty li'l thing from bayou country slide in twixt your #16 and #17, eh?

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Thanks Mastiff and everyone else. I wouldn't have been upset if the decision had gone the other way. After all, it's all in the name of fun. Now will someone put Williams back on his meds already??? DAMN!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    and even though Plankton hates it....

Planderella and the NO Hot Grits may drop R. Williams at the end of Round #1 and reselect.

Since it won't make everyone happy, it's probably the right choice. So Plank? Let that pretty li'l thing from bayou country slide in twixt your #16 and #17, eh?
    Not a problem. Just glad to be everyone's doormat down here at the bottom. Shed a tear for me, would ya....... o

It's probably the right call considering this isn't a hardcore money league.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    My question for the commish:

Is Williams officially ineligible for the rest of the season in our league? If he changes his mind, no one should be able to pick him up, imo. I think that's a fair trade off for allowing the compensatory pick.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    My question for the commish:

Is Williams officially ineligible for the rest of the season in our league? If he changes his mind, no one should be able to pick him up, imo. I think that's a fair trade off for allowing the compensatory pick.

Well, I doubt at this late date Yahoo will pull him. I guess my point is, someone is likely to still draft him... If they want to waste a pick and take a flyer that he'll be back, who cares? I might put him on the bench with my last pick, would you? He might be a waste of space and get dropped, but what's the big deal?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Well, I doubt at this late date Yahoo will pull him. I guess my point is, someone is likely to still draft him... If they want to waste a pick and take a flyer that he'll be back, who cares? I might put him on the bench with my last pick, would you? He might be a waste of space and get dropped, but what's the big deal?
    I agree 'specially with the keeper aspect to the league. No real reason to ban him, I say.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GRE predicament
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Jan 2010, 11:27 PM
  2. Planderella is in Teh CluBBBe
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Oct 2005, 9:09 AM
  3. For Planderella and Habanero.....
    Friday Afternoon Club