Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Lance Effect

Registered
    Oct 2001

The Lance Effect

I noticed something yesterday. After I watched the last stage of the Tour De France on OLN I got on my bike and rode for about 18 miles in the best riding weather I have seen since spring. I went out and did my normal ride on Sunday at about mid-day.

I try to ride every Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday nights as well as get my long ride on Saturday Morning. The Sunday ride is just an easy cruise around town. I will often go to areas that are not ideal for racking up miles, but are great for socializing with others. And it can at times become a "suds' ride if I meet up with the right fellows.

But here is where it gets wierd I know most of the roadies in town, if not by name, almost positivly by sight, Yesterday the vast majority of people on their road bikes where ones I have never seen before - ever. There were people on all manner of road bike as well as all kind of families out. The cycling population of town went up by 400% easily.

Many of the roadies I know would say something like, "That's all we need are more damn dangerous newbies to look out for" and I can see their point. But I got to thinking, well the greater our numbers, the more we can shape our town into a cycling friendly place. So, I did my best to be as friendly as possible. I was a newbie (Phred) not too long ago - many will say I still am. Oh, well.

Welcome to the cult - Lance wanna bes.

So the lance effect was in full force.

Registered
    May 2003
    Good for the Lance wannabees. I usually ride as transportation, not as recreation, so I go shorter distances and rarely get in the way of roadies.

There's an intersting chart about transit modes. In first world societies where car use is much less than the U.S, the alternative mode of choice is walking and bicycling, not transit. Transit was consistently the smallest mode.

So I am going to challenge my General Plan committee to look at walking and bicycles as the main alternative transit mode and see what comes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    It would be great if bike use could be used as a transportation mode here, sadly Valdivia has three big problems; it rains too much, hence the only viable way to make bike use a more massive transportation mode would be some kind of bike-car that has a protected habitacle. Another problem is the traffic, it's becoming more and more agressive; specially the bus drivers. And finally the city has a miserably low density, so many people would have to ride quite a long distance to get anywhere (right now they're driving siad distance, and it evidently creates a few traffic problems, due to lack of alternative roads and poor conectivity)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    All I can say is I think that it is a great thing.

I would like to see more people on bikes, and less in cars.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, the Lance effect and its predecessors have had one very, very unfortunate side effect: spandex cycling jerseys for middle aged sweet tooth and cheese addicts who should definitely not be wearing spandx cycling jerseys in public

I am most certainly not a lance-wannabee. But I have gotten back on a bike for the first time in a generation (since I sold my old Peugeot U-08). My kids are starting to ride and I've been borrowing my father-in-law's schwinn tank (no speed, coaster brakes, wide handlebar) and have noticed that I cannot control the bike comfortably with my hands splayed so far apart. I've taken to riding it with my hands in close so that my body position resembles that when I rode the Peugeot. Do mountain bike riders experience something similar?

I'm a little like jordanb in that I am deathly afraid of the drivers in these parts. But next year our new greenway should open and I'll be able to take the kids on bike rides without intrusive automobiles. Of course, then I'll have to pony up for a nice Fuji bike
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Well, the Lance effect and its predecessors have had one very, very unfortunate side effect: spandex cycling jerseys for middle aged sweet tooth and cheese addicts who should definitely not be wearing spandx cycling jerseys in public

That's Me: You be talking about!

Letting it all hang out in a snappy covering since 2003.

Letting it all hang out in a snappy covering since 2003.
    Get a bib already. Seriously, the more bikes the better!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 15 Jan 2013, 6:43 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Aug 2012, 11:50 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Jan 2010, 2:09 PM
  4. 'Butterfly Effect' Dimensions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 07 May 2007, 11:14 PM