Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Beer in San Francisco (A bribe for knowledge)

Registered
    Jul 2004

Beer in San Francisco (A bribe for knowledge)

Good people of Cyburbia -

I am currently trying to decide whether or not to apply to graduate school for a MUP or equivalent.

I have over the last year become fascinated with the field of planning. However, since all my interest has been derived from the books of Jane Jacobs and Kevin Lynch, articles in the paper and Planetizen, newsletters and the sort, I feel that I may be viewing the field in grandiose terms and perhaps through rose-colored glasses.

I figure that the best way to get a handle on the field is to talk to as many people as possible who are involved within it.

And now we come back to the title of this thread:
    If you are in San Francisco, or nearby surroundings, and would like to chat with me about the profession that you have carved out for yourself within the world of urban planning and design over a nice cold brew or two, I'd love to hear your stories, both good and bad. And, I'll buy all of that nice cold beer.

If you don't happen to be in the surrounds of the San Francisco bay area, but would like to share stories with me in the knowledge that after reading them I will toast your name, I would also appreciate written accounts -- either posted here or emailed to me.

I look forward to learning from all interested in teaching,
    -Andrew

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I would be up for a San Francisco area "Laefest" that could do this. Michelle could give you a citizen's persoective on California planning. There are a couple of others on the board from Northern California-Cloverdale is a bit of a drive for Wulf, (but so is Vacaville)

Registered
    Jul 2004

A "laefest" would be?

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I would be up for a San Francisco area "Laefest" that could do this. Michelle could give you a citizen's persoective on California planning. There are a couple of others on the board from Northern California-Cloverdale is a bit of a drive for Wulf, (but so is Vacaville)
    I'm assuming an area-wide get togethor of sorts with the cyburbians of said area?

Sounds good to me. Although I'm not sure if I could budget that much beer :-} .

-andrew

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Yes, but it takes 6 months to make an appointment to have beer and chips with you. So he had better get cracking on making the arrangements. :-P

[sort of BS] I will make my usual generous offer of suggesting that I don't mind playing hostess purely because I have the geographic advantage of living in the town that is at the midpoint between San Francisco and Sacramento. Naturally, this has nothing whatsoever to do with my personal convenience. :-P [/sort of BS]

In all seriousness, due to health problems and other issues, if you want to meet me in person, I am a tough cookie to hook up with outside of Fairfield or Vacaville -- and my social calendar is starting to fill up with friends from all over who just happen to be converging on this area. I have a tentative lunch date for the 29th and a friend and her family is showing up in their RV in early August... life is getting rather interesting.

PS: Due to said health problems, I do not drink beer. But I am perfectly willing to be fed to get me talking. o

Off-topic:
    EDIT: BKM, PLEASE CHECK YOUR PERSONAL MESSAGES.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 5:33 PM
  2. GIS knowledge?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 08 Jun 2009, 5:30 AM
  3. Knowledge Seeker
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2009, 11:39 PM