Urban planning community

Poll results: Where and when do you put AICP after your name?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I worked hard for those four initials, and use them whenever and wherever I can!

9 37.50%
  • I use them on my resume, publications, bio etc., but not on letters or memos

5 20.83%
  • I passed the test, but don't use the initials - ever

1 4.17%
  • I haven't taken/passed yet, but when I earn the initials I will use them!

6 25.00%
  • Don't have AICP, don't want it

3 12.50%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP - do you advertise?

Registered
    Apr 2004

AICP - do you advertise?

For those of you with AICP, do you use the initials after your name? If so, when?

Just curious....

Having just received my results I am still pondering this question but here is the direction in which I am leaning: I plan to use the initials wherever and whenever I can for the following reason. Most professions have their own certification or designation, engineers have P.E., architects have AIA, accountants have CPA, Doctors have MD, etc. My desire, and hopefully yours, is to have Planning viewed as a professional occupation, not just a job. For better or worse, people tend to notice those things that give a profession credibility and (again) for better or worse, ours is AICP.

Irrespective of our own discussions and often times bashing of AICP and APA they are for right now the organizations that provide us with professional credibility.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Of course, AICP is on my business cards. If my name is included as an author of a report, along with other planners, AICP will be included there, too.

I use AICP in the contact information of this site, to lend it some legitimacy among planners. In that context, it says "this isn't another skyscraper site." (Not that there's anything wrong with skyscraper sites. )

However, in most professional correspondence or "civilan" matters, like printed on a check, I don't use it. It's kind of pretentious, IMHO. Maybe if you're writing to the APA, but that's about it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Of course, AICP is on my business cards. If my name is included as an author of a report, along with other planners, AICP will be included there, too.

However, in most professional correspondence or "civilan" matters, like printed on a check, I don't use it. It's kind of pretentious, IMHO. Maybe if you're writing to the APA, but that's about it.
    I agree w/ Dan on this matter of style.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I don't know that I have a set pattern to my use of AICP. Obviously on resumes, articles, business cards, bios and official correspondences. I occassionally use it on memos, but not all the time.

Aren't AICP members encouraged to publish in their local paper a statement of what AICP members strive for in assisting the community? It seems like I did this about 5 years ago. Does this ring a bell with anyone. My code of ethics is on the wall behind my desk.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm el Guapo, AICP ******!

My uses:

Official EXTERNAL Correspondence
    Resumes
    Business Cards

Never ever wear the AICP pin to a State APA conference. They will beat you senseless.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Business cards, resume, and all work correspondence.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'm MCIP and here is my take on it.

I would like to see it on my card, and I am arguing this point with my supervisor, who does not have his. I use it on all professional correspondence.

I also use my stamp on reports and letters to tribunals and when I think I'll end up in court.

My CIP professional practice manual sits in my top drawer and I look at it frequently for guidance and to provide rebuttals to people.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    What he said.

Registered
    May 2002
    Same thing for me.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2004

Use of AICP

I include AICP for most work related items....
    I've heard tales of AICP wet/dry stamps.....
    Does anyone know if Michigan or New Jersey require a "stamp" of some kind by the certified planners?
    I now keep both degrees, AICP cert. and anything else that costs me money on my wall at work. This is partly to show support for well trained planners in the work place....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I now keep both degrees, AICP cert. and anything else that costs me money on my wall at work. This is partly to show support for well trained planners in the work place....
    Same here....my 2 degrees, my AICP membership cert, my CPDP cert, my code of ethics, NHPA membership cert, and a couple of awards are on the wall of my office.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Same as NHPlanner. As I recall, that's what they advised us to do. As for a previous post regarding running an article in the local newspaper, I think that was part of the stuff they sent you when you passed.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    ...CPDP cert....
    Q. What does CPDP stand ?
    Oddball

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Q. What does CPDP stand ?
    Continuing Professional Development Program......60 hours of professional development in a 3 year period.....means that I've logges all the conferences and workshops I attend, sent them to AICP when I hit 60 hours, then they send the certificate....

Registered
    Feb 1998
    For me, it depends on the environment. Always have had the AICP on business cards. And I have always had the certificate and my diplomas on the wall. Other certificates are in a drawer somewhere (but with a copy in my personnel record).

In my last positions, the AICP on letters was only for the most formal, as when I expected an attorney to be a reader. Never on memos in past jobs.

Out here, I am putting it on more items, including memos. It is mostly a reaction to the City Engineer pasting P.E. on everything, but also to remind the internal people(especially the governing body) that I have credentials.

The only time I wear the pin is at APA functions, including state ones...well when Kansas ever has one. OT: I am scared that I may lose my CPDC status because there is no Kansas APA outside of the KC metro area.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I use the AICP after my name on business cards and official correspondence to either City Officials/Boards, on all external correspondence, etc. I rarely use it for internal. The certificate is somewhere in a box, same with my diplomas. I don't have anything educated related on my walls...I put all that info in my employee file.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How many titles do you put on your card? Would you list AICP and CEcD and EDFP? Is that overkill, or is it appropriate to list all of your credentials?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    titles ... EDFP
    Q. 1 - What does EDFP stand for ?

Q. 2 - Who has their CFM - Certified Floodplain Manager ?
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 2004

Comfort Zone

Whatever makes you most comfortable.....but this is how I do it :

The One, AICP, PhD, PE, PLS, ASCP, MURP, BA, BS, JD, MD, MAI, GRI, EdD, APA, AIA, ASLA

Ha ha ha ha.....but seriously, I have seen journal articles written by people with JD, MD, PhD after their name..... :-C
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 1996
    One of my BSU professors had a microbiology degree as an undergrad.....he has a slew of initials he could use after his name.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    One of my BSU professors had a microbiology degree as an undergrad.....he has a slew of initials he could use after his name.....
    ...but he usually doesn't, and his credentials are scattered all over his office...

My degrees are stashed somewhere, too. Assuming I could find them, and took time to frame them, there's no way I could display them in my office, not the way our walls are constructed, and every flat surface is covered in files/plats/maps/coffee cups (clean).
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I include AICP for most work related items....
    I've heard tales of AICP wet/dry stamps.....
    Does anyone know if Michigan or New Jersey require a "stamp" of some kind by the certified planners?
    NJ does require a stamp by certified planner. I used to do a lot of work in NJ and took the test to get certified. I still maintain the certification (although I'm not sure why, since never work there anymore) and have the stamp buried on my desk someplace - when I first got it I felt very cool, but that feeling has since worn off!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    What he said.
    Same with me!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Planderella; 30 Jul 2004 at 9:35 AM. Reason: Quote tags fixed
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Where to advertise an RFP?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jul 2011, 9:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:46 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Aug 2007, 11:15 AM
  4. Replies: 2