Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D O D vs Rumpy's Rampage

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

D O D vs Rumpy's Rampage

I thought this belonged in its own thread. Most of us remember when Rumpy Tunanator was talking about building his bar in an old grain elevator and including a brew pub. Only ONE of our many beer discussions.

I would just like to say that I am on the way to beating Rumpy's Rampage to the finish line!

As of the 17th of august, I will be operating the first of many pubs (crosses fingers for good luck).

I will be leaving my position as a planner here in the northwest suburbs of Chicago to return to my native home of Green Bay, WI to own and operate my own alcahol dispensing depot!

I will post pictures of the place when I get in and get the chance. The place is called 29 Steps because to get to it, you need to climb 29 steps. Hardwood floors, 12 foot ceilings, art deco bar back coolers. The atmosphere is a mainly rockabilly soundtrack with the age range being about 24 to 32 years old, give or take some.

I had hoped to reach my 1000th post as a planner, but that seems kind of much for my pace in the last 2 weeks as a planner. Going to have to dig deep to achieve!

If anyone is ever in town, come on up and tell me your a caburbanite, I'll catch you a beer.

Don't get your hopes up too high! I'm not going to make anybodys life easier by leaving this place!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Good luck to you and best wishes.

If I'm ever in the GB area, I'll make it a point to drink my fair share.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Congrats!

And let me say: I am green with envy (not over the brew pub, but over the building and the owning your own business part).

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Go the DOD - every boy's dream, owning your own pub. Actually that dream usually involves a publican's daughter as well, but that's another story .......

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    how cool....please keep us informed how life is on the other side of permit process....

Registered
    Feb 2000
    WOW !!!!! Is this a dream come true for you? It can be a tough business (from a business standpoint). I wish you success and I will definitely seek your establishment (and you) if I get up to your hometown. Might I suggest that if you ever need ideas for unique promotions, the Throbbing Brain may be a good source for the bizarre good clean and fun promotional ideas. Hey, there's a thread idea. We can all play Bill Veck.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Very interesting, Duke. I wish you success in your new line of work. I also will seek you out if I ever get into your neck of the woods.

I'm just happy for your sake you're getting out of the Northwest Suburbs. I think I'd rather live in Baghdad that those places.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    Go the DOD - every boy's dream, owning your own pub. Actually that dream usually involves a publican's daughter as well, but that's another story .......
    I am hoping that I can finally chase a girl down down on my own since they will be coming into my lair........I mean establishment! o

The question is, what the hell do I do with her if I finally catch one?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Congrats.

Careful about the offer of beer, Chet does live near by, maybe he can provide references for a certain blue haired waitress in your neck of the woods.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Wow, that sounds so cool - I think if I started a business it would be restaurant/pub, even though it's a very hard line of work.

Good luck, and hopefully one day I will take you up on your offer of beer.

Are you going to be serving your own stuff?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    how cool....please keep us informed how life is on the other side of permit process....

That has been very interesting. As far as a business license is concerned, you don't need one in Green Bay. It also seems there is no sign control.

Where I work in Chicago's northwest suburbs, I would need a business license reviewed by every department, and I would have to submit for sign review. It would also take 3 to 6 weeks to know if I did it right.

I am not sure how I feel about not having those permit process to deal with. It has been my observation, that planners want quality development, and to a definition are NOT anti business. I was born raised, went to undergrad in Green Bay, and am now getting back there. I LOVE my home town, but they can be SO backward there. Planners are viewed as unecessary public spending at best, and communist at worst. They have big city ideas but the local political officials think they can do the planning and economic development process without the professionals.

Our downtown looks like downtown Columbus OH, big parking lots everywhere with vacant storefronts as well in what should be prime real estate. We used to have a very urban, built environment up until the late sixties and seventies until they tore it all down. They have made efforts to put condo's downtown, but they don't seem to have a grasp of how to get decent retail outlets into the downtown. Theres nothing.

Across the river to the west is the largest main street program in the state of WI (at least when it started), and it has reached that redevelopment take off point and is doing VERY well. Separated only by a river and 700 feet.

Once I get my feet on the ground, I hope to get involved with the DT development efforts if they will have me, no reason to let my planning skills go to waste.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I move that the 29 Stairs pub be designated as the international Laefest headquarters and an annual Laefest date established therein. We must all pay homage.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congratulations, and best of luck to you!

If we say "I hear everythings better with monkeys in Cyburbia," do we get a beer and access to a computer so we can log in to the forums? :-P
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Congrats.

Careful about the offer of beer, Chet does live near by, maybe he can provide references for a certain blue haired waitress in your neck of the woods.
    No joking about the blue haired waitres', I would consider that teasing as that DOES sound like my kind of girl!

I keep threatening to bring home a girl that looks like Lilly Munster or Morticia Adams and my mom just sort of cringes hoping I don't do it! :d:

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    ....Good luck, and hopefully one day I will take you up on your offer of beer.

Are you going to be serving your own stuff?
    In about a year, I want to have my own stuff on tap, but I want to figure out what I am doing with the basics of operating a business before I add another layer of complexity on top.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I thought this belonged in its own thread. Most of us remember when Rumpy Tunanator was talking about building his bar in an old grain elevator and including a brew pub. Only ONE of our many beer discussions.

I would just like to say that I am on the way to beating Rumpy's Rampage to the finish line!
    ARRRRRRRR

You stole my thunder DOD! I was going to save this until it actually went through, but your already going to beat me so what's the difference.

I am also in the process of starting my own bar, yet unfortunately it won't be in the grain elevator I photographed. I have the location narrowed down, and I'll have to post pictures of the locations (some downtown, and some in allentown).

I hit the crossroads a few months ago and recently have debated whether to move for job offers out of state, or stay here and start my own business. I'm probally going to be broke once this goes through, and probally for the next couple of years, but if I can not work for the man its all worth it. Except for the credit card debt.

Your bar will probally be different through, as I will probally be the only employee to get around the smoking ban here. But if I do hire, there is always the herbal cigarette loop-hole B-)

Well congrats, and I'll have to visit GB to have a Maybe the next time the Bills are in town.

I'll keep you posted on my little quest as well.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Congratulations, and best of luck to you!

If we say "I hear everythings better with monkeys in Cyburbia," do we get a beer and access to a computer so we can log in to the forums? :-P

I do actually plan to use my computer to put into the pub. I KNOW I would be the first wired pub in Green Bay (GB)!

The first question I would ask of the throbing brain, is what kind of policy should I enforce about what shows up on the computer screen. Many is the time in a pub where Wikipedia or some other quick search could have answered a question or been helpful, but I also do not want to get into legal trouble by what site some nutbag goes to.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    ARRRRRRRR

You stole my thunder DOD! I was going to save this until it actually went through, but your already going to beat me so what's the difference.

....I hit the crossroads a few months ago and recently have debated whether to move for job offers out of state, or stay here and start my own business. I'm probally going to be broke once this goes through, and probally for the next couple of years, but if I can not work for the man its all worth it. Except for the credit card debt.

I'll keep you posted on my little quest as well.
    Sorry about that, and I thought I was joking about friendly competition! :-}

Hopefully we will be able to trade notes and I can help you get some good ideas.

I don't smoke, so it wouldn't matter to me, but we can smoke in WI pubs and restaraunts. This place gets REALLY smokey some nights. No smoke eaters in the place either!

I am taking over from a previous owner. Are you starting from scratch or doing turnkey?

Hey, another Idea, since I will be online, I can use my customers to help me compete in the fantasy football leauge! :d:

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...what...Laefest...what...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sorry about that, and I thought I was joking about friendly competition! :-}

Hopefully we will be able to trade notes and I can help you get some good ideas.

I am taking over from a previous owner. Are you starting from scratch or doing turnkey?
    Its friendly competion

Trading notes would help.

I'm starting from scratch, so this might take longer, although I did manage a bar and restaurant in Pittsburgh, so that should definately help. Got the low down on supply costs and where to score the deals for equipment.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Man am I jealous. My best friend and I always talked about opening a brew pub after finishing our undergrad (Foothills Brew Works TM ) but school, marriage, moving out of state, etc…life in general, got in the way. Take note that, should I ever happen to find myself in GB, I will be stopping in for more than a few pints.

Best of luck to you!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This is great for you.

I wish you all the luck and profitability.

I'm with Rumpy too. Not having to work for the Man would be worth the ever present debt. As long as you make a decent salary for yourself, the debt is not really a problem. Most all businesses have debt.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That is super cool. Congratulations!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I am hoping that I can finally chase a girl down down on my own since they will be coming into my lair........I mean establishment! o

The question is, what the hell do I do with her if I finally catch one?
    Crafty devil!! If you catch one, toss her a ring. She might stick around for a while.

Hey, another Idea, since I will be online, I can use my customers to help me compete in the fantasy football leauge! :d:
    Someone may show up to ruff you up. Your choice. o

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Rumpy's Wedding Planning Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Jun 2007, 10:06 PM
  2. Rumpy's Last Day Roast
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 13 Feb 2007, 9:00 PM