Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban Design + Econ. Development

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004

Urban Design + Econ. Development

Hello,

I'm trying to find a journal article or any research on how urban design can aid economic development. Does anyone, know of any related articles/sources? I am studying Town Centers.

Thanks,

jon

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well, town centres are certainly the best place to be studying this topic. There is a good deal of research on the impacts of good storefront design on sales, and on the contribution of good streetscapes to healthy districts. I have three nights of late meetings starting tonight, so I doubt that I will have much time to dig through my library for a few days. I hope you can wait.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    There are several stores that locate in both town center developments and conventional strip malls, such as Gap & Starbucks. If you can find a way to eliminate all of the other variables for sales, you might be able to compare the profitability of stores located in conventional developments vs. town centers.

There have got to be some journal articles on this. You might try contacting the Congress on New Urbanism, since they try to promote town center development and probably have commissioned studies like this.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 1997
    The National Main Street Center probably has resources addressing this question.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    You might also look at http://www.pps.org/ the project for public spaces; It's an org based on william whyte's work in NYC which analysed how people use the space versus it's aesthetic value as a rendering. . . They've done alot of work on public markets, etc. . .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 4:14 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 11:30 AM
  3. Career in urban design/development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jan 2009, 4:23 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Nov 2006, 3:07 PM