Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What states haven't you visited and why not

Registered
    Feb 2003

What states haven't you visited and why not

Given the well-traveled nature of this group, I figured this was the question to ask as opposed to the states that you have visited.

For the Canadians, Chileans, Aussies, etc., in the group feel free to chime in as you see fit.

Changing planes in an airport doesn't count but driving through (with or without stopping) does.

My list is as follows:
    OK & TX - I hear some okay things about OK but besides Austin, the state of TX has absolutely no appeal to me.

SC - Would like to visit Charleston & the coast someday.

AK - Next on my list, hopefully.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Am I crazy but have we not discussed this before;
    or has enough time has gone by that it can be dredged up ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Dunno. I was curious so I thought I'd inquire. If this has already been covered, my bad, I'll check the threads next time before starting a similar one....(don't let me discourage a new round of responses, however)....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    Given the well-traveled nature of this group, I figured this was the question to ask as opposed to the states that you have visited.

For the Canadians, Chileans, Aussies, etc., in the group feel free to chime in as you see fit.

Changing planes in an airport doesn't count but driving through (with or without stopping) does.
    Most of the 'contiguous' USA states that I have not visited are unvisited simply because the car has not yet gone their way during my interstate roadtrips. One exception - Florida (the state has zero attractiveness to me). Besides Florida, the only states east of the Mississippi River that I have not yet visited are Mississippi and South Carolina.

West of the Mississippi RIver, I have only been in Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota, along with a couple of plane-changes in Texas (DFW).

I'm hoping to make more western roadtrips within the next few years.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Kind of like mgk920, if it is in the contiguous 48 states and I have not been there, life simply has not taken me there. I really don't Do "vacations" -- health problems, special needs kids and living on one income all these years sort of rules that out -- but I do travel a fair amount. I have lived in Texas, Kansas, Washington state, and two places in California....er, those are "as a military wife". Of course, I also grew up in Georgia. Hubby has relatives in Maine. I still have relatives in Georgia...and probably Indiana (and, of course, Germany -- where I have also lived).

I think I have never been to New Mexico, ...um..Nevada??...and some states up around The Great Lakes. But I have been up and down the East Coast, from Florida to Maine, all west coast states, and criss-crossed the country betwen east and west coasts -- one year, we drove from Washington state to Georgia and, 4 months later, from Georgia to California. We covered 5500 milies in order to move a grand total of around 1200 miles.

Off-topic:
    Since changing planes does not count, I have never been to Canada, sigh. ....Oh, wait! ...I didn't "change planes". We stopped to refuel.. Does THAT count? :-P

I've been in every state except Alaska or Hawaii. It is feasable that I will some day visit Alaska, but probably never Hawaii. The costs to get there and stay there far outweigh the novelty of being in all 50 states.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Most of the 'contiguous' USA states that I have not visited are unvisited simply because the car has not yet gone their way during my interstate roadtrips. One exception - Florida (the state has zero attractiveness to me). Besides Florida, the only states east of the Mississippi River that I have not yet visited are Mississippi and South Carolina.
    Mississippi is a pretty cool state actually, at least the parts I saw. There are some really nice state parks in the relatively hilly northern part of the state and great architecture in Natchez with the Natchez Trace Parkway connecting the two. I went through there last year on the way to Houston and had a really good time driving the Trace and tooling around Natchez on my bike.

West of the Mississippi RIver, I have only been in Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota, along with a couple of plane-changes in Texas (DFW).
    It's an unwritten rule that airports don't count toward being in that state. You have to actually be off of airport property before you can officially be in that state.

I haven't avoided these states, I just haven't been able to tick them off the list yet:

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.

As there is a sub-plot brewing to this thread, I'll continue it by adding that I have absolutely zero interest in ever stepping foot again in Texas. I've been all across the place, to the major and minor sites and find the people quite charming. But I have no intent to ever return, if I can help it. As the truckers say when the traverse I-10: "The sun is ris' and the sun is set and I ain't the hell out of Texas yet."
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I am probably the least traveled on this board.

Been To: CA, NV, MO, IA, IL, WI, MN, SD, IN, AZ, *FL, Tijuana, Mexico.

* too young to remember.

CA, MEX: 2 weeks in Orange County w/ relatives, brief visit to Mexico
    NV: Job interview.. I was only in Vegas for 36 hrs.
    MO: St.Louis & Kansas City
    IA: various storm chases and university visits
    IL: I live here
    WI: The Dells, Madison, SW Wisconsin, Milwaukee
    MN: Only I-90.
    SD: Only the E 1/4 of the state. Souix Falls to Aberdeen
    IN: N suburbs of Indy for a concert and just over the border to purchase fireworks
    AZ: visit relatives
    Last edited by boiker; 04 Aug 2004 at 12:26 PM.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I haven't been to:

New Hampshire or Vermont
    Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota
    Nebraska, Iowa or the Dakotas
    Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas
    Nothing in the "Mountain" Time Zone
    Oregon

So far Ontario and British Columbia are the only places i've been to in Canada.
    This year I hope to add Vermont, New Hampshire and Quebec.
    by next year Oregon, Colorado, and Utah.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the ťlite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I am probably the least traveled on this board.
    I am not well traveled either. I have only been to AZ, NM, CO, NV, CA, TX, AL, TN, OH, VA, DC, HI.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I really haven't travelled much...it's much easier for me to list the states/provinces I have been to than it is to list the ones I haven't seen.

Provinces
    ON - live here, haven't been north/west of Sudbury/Sault Ste. Marie
    QC
    NB - went through on the train
    NS

States
    NY
    MI
    MA
    PE
    IN
    IL
    MD
    DC
    DE
    NJ

We've done this before, haven't we?

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    I absolutely refuse to go to Deleware - full of filthy evil wretched heathens. I sincerely hope that a horrid plague of wasps devours that cursed land. Whenever I think of Deleware, a cancerous vomit flows through my throat - I yell into the night "Damned you to hell you heinous Delewarians!". God forbid if I ever drive north towards Philadelphia - I would have drive far out of the way so I wouldn't soil my car tires in that cursed land, perhaps drive 20 MILES out of the way!

My only hope is that this nation finally accepts the inevitable task, that would be to remove Deleware from all maps & chainlink the border with Maryland & Pennsylvania. Of course, it would also be needed to check everyone's DNA to confirm no one has been tainted by the weak Delaware blood line. If so, god have mercy on their souls...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    I absolutely refuse to go to Deleware
    Where is this Deleware you speak of? Is it near the great state of Delaware by any chance?

What's with the hate-on for Delaware? I ate at a Wendy's there once, seemed okay to me (you could get Mr. Pibbs!)

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Where is this Deleware you speak of? Is it near the great state of Delaware by any chance?

What's with the hate-on for Delaware? I ate at a Wendy's there once, seemed okay to me (you could get Mr. Pibbs!)
    Oh it's Delaware? Oh, do I feel stupid. I guess I have been to Delaware, actually nice place & the people were very friendly.

Boy! Do I feel dumb

Registered
    Oct 2003

Here's my take on this task.

I bet I can win a prize for keeping my list most concise! Do I?

Of all the states in the USA that I haven't been to is any states that is west of the Interstate-75 as well as Connecticut and Rhode Island.

As for Canada, I still haven't been to the Yukon territory, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Newfoundland and Labrador.

And if you're curious about my I-75 detail, then it's because I was a child riding in a van that left Florida for Ontario for a winter break vacation.

However, I'd been aching to do a road trip across the North American continent! So, my "haven't-been-to" list will eventually shrink, I hope!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    I absolutely refuse to go to Deleware - full of filthy evil wretched heathens. I sincerely hope that a horrid plague of wasps devours that cursed land. Whenever I think of Deleware, a cancerous vomit flows through my throat - I yell into the night "Damned you to hell you heinous Delewarians!". God forbid if I ever drive north towards Philadelphia - I would have drive far out of the way so I wouldn't soil my car tires in that cursed land, perhaps drive 20 MILES out of the way!

My only hope is that this nation finally accepts the inevitable task, that would be to remove Deleware from all maps & chainlink the border with Maryland & Pennsylvania. Of course, it would also be needed to check everyone's DNA to confirm no one has been tainted by the weak Delaware blood line. If so, god have mercy on their souls...
    I can't help it if you don't know how to avoid that tollgate on I-95. It's not that hard. US 40 is only a few minutes away and the signals won't delay you much. I also know a good way to avoid that nearby Susquehanna River bridge toll on I-95 in Maryland if you make more than one trip that way each year.

Just think, Baltimore <-> northeastern New Jersey without paying a single road/bridge toll (and you can avoid that $1 tunnel toll in Baltimore if you're willing to fight the traffic on I-695 north around the city).

As for Delaware itself, I have found it to be an interesting place to explore and the people are friendly. The old-town section of New Castle, DE is not to be missed. Just beware of small-town speed traps in the central and southern part of the state along with the occassional red light camera.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I have only been to: IA, MN, MO, NE, IL, WI, SD, WY, MT, IN, KY, TN, GA, SC.
    ďAs soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fallĒ
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2004

40 and counting

So far, I've visited 40 states: Plan to visit Vermont next week to make it 41....

Alabama- Drive Through; Impressed with the rolling hills of this state and physical appearance.
    Colorado- Native Land and Favorite State
    Virginia- Second Favorite State
    Florida- Current Home and Impressed so far with everglades and ocean....
    Maine- Great State to visit....
    Arkansas- Would prefer to never return (no benefit at all) What a bore....
    New Mexico- A very cool state, Taos et al...
    Rhode Island- Visited my cousin at Brown years ago...ate at a Great West African Rest. in Providence and visited Newport....very nice....
    Georgia- Atlanta was ok...
    Louisiana- New Orleans was very fun and historic....
    Montana- Gotta love remote places, beautiful countryside...
    Wyoming- Western 1/3 is great....
    Utah- My third favorite state (physical beauty) Haven't had a problem with the people since the early 80's....
    Nevada- Again remote....Vegas is sin city, but fun.... Reno is cool and Lake Tahoe rules...
    California- Northern is nicer and more friendly than southern
    Arizona- Could live in this state; Flagstaff is one of my favorite places in North America
    Idaho- Only visited a small area, but liked it...
    Nebraska- Zzzzzzz.....Scotts Bluff is ok....
    Kansas- Zzzzzzz......
    Oklahoma- Zzzzzzz....although Tulsa looks like a nice City....
    Iowa- I like this state...lots of agriculture....smart people.....
    Missouri- Might be ok when I'm 75 and want to visit Branson....
    Kentucky- Fantastic Beauty in those rolling hills and horse farms...
    Tennessee- Having been to the Eastern, Middle and Western part of this state, I like it a lot....Chatanooga was SWEET....May be my fourth favorite state so far...and biggest shocker of all....
    West Virginia- Charleston was an awsome city and Charles Town/Harpers Ferry is great also....
    Maryland- Very high on my list; Baltimore and Burkettsville contrast..best roads in the US...
    Pen.- Gettysburg is way to commercialized and Philadelphia is ok (even with poverty problems)
    New York- Spent very little time here....Childhood memories of looking up at the towers are fond....
    Delaware- Seemed a little "old world" ish to me....Industrial nature maybe...? Ferry Crossing to Cape May was fun...
    New Jersey- Southern is nice, Northern is not.....
    Mass.- Boston is cool.....
    N.H.- Not much time spent here, but seems like a nice enough place....
    South Carolina- Never been/Would like to visit Charleston soon....
    Washington- Never been, would love to go
    Hawaii- May never be able to afford this trip....
    Alaska- See Hawaii..... :-}
    Oregon- Never been would love to go....
    North Dakota- I like this state....very safe....very cold.....Intnl Peace Gardens, Geog. Center of N. America and Bismarck, what else could you want?
    South Dakota- Deadwood was interesting and great natural features, oh and the heads are here too....
    Min.- Never been, want to visit the mall and conoe on the Lake of the Woods...
    Mich.- Never been....don't know enough about it to want to go.....
    Illinois- Driven through many many times....I need to go to Chicago...
    Indiana/Ohio- Been there done that....
    Miss.- Zzzzz
    Texas- I like El Paso, even though its dirt poor and scored lowest on literate scale(see other thread)...plus you can visit Juarez any time... :-P
    Con.- Zzzzzz (Worse congestion on interstate than anywhere in USA )
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Mississippi is a pretty cool state actually, at least the parts I saw. There are some really nice state parks in the relatively hilly northern part of the state and great architecture in Natchez with the Natchez Trace Parkway connecting the two. I went through there last year on the way to Houston and had a really good time driving the Trace and tooling around Natchez on my bike.
    Thanks for chiming in on our behalf. We really do have some good parts about this state. I would definitely vouch for the MS Gulf Coast, and Hattiesburg area.

When I was a kid I flew to Alaska, and we drove back from there a year later. I know Iíve been through Canada (obviously), and many of the northwestern states. Though only a guess, or a call to my dad would would I be able to give specifics.

I have not been to most of the states East of the Mississippi River, except Mississippi (of course), Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. I would like to go, but it is far easier when you have someone to visit.

As far as West of the Mississippi river goes, it is hard to tell because I went on several road trips that way during my early years, and donít recall specifics. But for sure I have not been to Hawaii, and California.
    ďAhh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My apologies if this topic has already been covered, but I knew I wasn't the only geography geek that likes to track the states (and provinces) that I have been to. OT: What is the proper cyburbia etiquette for starting threads? Are we supposed to revitalize old threads that are similar or is it okay to start afresh even though the topic may have already been covered in similar, but maybe outdated, terms? Just curious......

Quote Originally posted by The One
    So far, I've visited 40 states: Plan to visit Vermont next week to make it 41....

Surprisingly, only one person so far has been to all contiguous 48 states and nobody has been to all 50. A for the first cyburbian who achieves the monumental task of all 50......

It would probably be helpful to know what parts of these states you've visited

Quote Originally posted by The One

Arkansas- Would prefer to never return (no benefit at all) What a bore....
    You should try going to the Hot Springs area. Very nice park and town.

Nebraska- Zzzzzzz.....Scotts Bluff is ok....
    Kansas- Zzzzzzz......
    Oklahoma- Zzzzzzz....although Tulsa looks like a nice City....
    Did you visit any places within these states or just take the interstate? If your ever in Kansas again, take US 56 or US 24 instead of I-70. That highway will put anyone to sleep.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat

I second that. My SO is from Vicksburg, so I've been on the Trace and down to Natchez. The coast, if you look past the casinos, is also nice. The trip to Ship Island is well worth it.

It's an unwritten rule that airports don't count toward being in that state. You have to actually be off of airport property before you can officially be in that state.
    As for the rest, east of the Mississippi River, I've been to all except the Carolina's and RI/Conn/Vermont. I've also been to 2 providences in Canada. As for west of the Mississippi, with the exception of Louisiana, only Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri, and that is when I was a kid. As for why I haven't been west of the Mississippi, a severe lack of desire and/or opportunity.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    States I've really been to:
    RI, MA, CT, NH, VT, ME, NY, PA, DC, Portland, OR (only place west of Buffalo)
    Since many of these are very small states I really haven't travelled much. Never been to the Midwest or South. But have been to Spain.

States I've only passed through - some of them as a kid:
    DE, MD, NJ

That makes a total of 13 out of 50 including the pass-throughs.

Here's a map I did a while back showing the states I've been in and color coded by decade. The figures with two years represent those states that I first visited when I was too young to remember and then the year I revisited them

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. States that You've Visited the Most
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 23 Mar 2013, 5:24 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Mar 2012, 5:47 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 27 Aug 2008, 11:46 AM
  4. What countries have you visited?