Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Five Second Rule

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The Five Second Rule

I'm here eating some leftover pizza in the sunshine state (yes, I made it from scratch yesterday), and dropped a portion of the tastiest, cheesiest (sp?) part on my kitchen floor. But I'm full already, it didn't bother me, and I tossed it in the garbage. Anybody here use the five second rule for food, forks, knives, etc?

I'll go first: I never use the rule...throw the food in the trash or wash the utensil.

I'm off for a smoke, I'll be back.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    An interesting question, especially after where I spent the day and what and where I ate lunch today(driving shed,no passing, use your own fork and spoon to serve yourself, even if you had already eaten with it)) and drank water from (bucket and communcal cups). I'll post pics soon of my day, it was a once in a lifetime experience that was totally cool.

For me it depends on what it is. Fruit and vegetables that hit the ground are usually rinsed and eaten, a piece of pizza that lands face down, more than likely to be pitched, face up, depends on how dirty the floor is.

I've also stopped during bike rides and picked up food I've dropped on the pavement and eaten it, if I am hungry enough or know that I will be hungry enough in the near future.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    For me it depends on what it is. Fruit and vegetables that hit the ground are usually rinsed and eaten, a piece of pizza that lands face down, more than likely to be pitched, face up, depends on how dirty the floor is.

I also follow this rule.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have a compromised immune system and floors are dirty. So, "on floor" generally = "trash" (or sink, if it is a fork, etc).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Here is how I think of it. If part of it is left where it hit, then it is not good to eat. If part of the surface it hit is on the food, it is not good to eat. If it has significantly changed shape, it is not good to eat. If it dose not fit any of the above, and has been there for less than 5 seconds... then it is all good.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Next time lean more over the kitchen sink or the pizza box
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    ... If it has significantly changed shape, it is not good to eat...
    Damn, I almost spilled my wine!!! when the ex & I ran the store/deli in Idaho we consistently broke the rule...profit margin, you know? If it didn't get stepped on and the customer didn't see it, the product went back on the sandwich, pizza, etc. Hey, it's all good. Don''t eat at these types of places. (If you're going to Idaho, PM and I'll tell one place to avoid if you're concerned about a violation of the 5 second rule; bitter; hehehe).

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't eat anything that hits the floor. But all the engineers I work with go with a "15-second" rule; ick.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I don't eat anything that hits the floor. But all the engineers I work with go with a "15-second" rule; ick.
    Once, when my youngest son was about 2 years old, he would not eat his spaghettios for lunch. I tried to get him to eat. After an hour or two, they were utterly cold (and might have been reheated a few times), I gave up and stuck them in the trash. The trash can was about his height (well, slightly shorter) and it was quite full, so this put the spaghettios at eye level for him. You guessed it: he began eating the spaghettios out of the trash. (They were relatively clean as they were on top of something made of paper that was clean, but I was so horrified.)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    If food hits the floor, we don't eat it. Once, though, I dropped an enchilada casserole onto the floor, just as I got it to the table. What remained in the dish, I ate. The melted cheese provided a pretty good barrier between the floor and the rest of the meal. Whatever part landed on the cheese went back into the dish for my husband. The rest went into the trash. No, I didn't tell him.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    ......Don''t eat at these types of places. (If you're going to Idaho, PM and I'll tell one place to avoid if you're concerned about a violation of the 5 second rule; bitter; hehehe).

After being in the service and eating all the gun oil, endless expanses of desert sand, German dirt, not to mention kissing the girls, eating food that has been droped revolves around weather or not the food is dry or wet, and how many bugs got stuck in it!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Nobody has ever died from eating food that fell on the floor that I am aware of, so I use the 5-second rule. My girlfriend hates it. If it is on the floor, she rushes to throw it in the trash.

I mean if I drop soup on the floor, I am not eating it, but pizza, chicken, etc. is fair game.

Apparently when I was a kid our family dog was caught licking the Thanksgiving turkey by my mom. She wiped the area of licking and served the turkey because nobody saw it. It wasn't until years later that she admited to doingb this.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Never heard of the five second rule

food on the floor thing depends on the audience at the time:
    1. bloke only crowd - anything goes
    2. shiela only crowd - depends if missus is watching
    3. mixed crowd - how much you've had to drink

Ultimately quality and/or condition of floor does not count - quality of food is all.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    If I am hungry I eat it as long as it looks clean (ie no pet hair or something). I mean come on....the person making your food at the rest. today at lunch probably didnt wash their hands after taking a leak and a cucaracha probably ran accross the prep counter last night... so what is a little floor time gonna hurt?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    What is this 5 second rule of which you speak (TM)? DA Monkey and myself (welcome back DA M, BTW) live in a clean country vfull of natural dirt and clean animal by products. Whether we eat something is entirely dependant on our favourite foods, our level of hunger, our degree of inebriation etc. This is a matter of personal choice! We would never allow our freedoms to be restricted by some convention that assumes germs cannot move the 0.0001 of a millimetre it would require to colonise "food from floor" in anything less than 5 seconds. Bah I say. If it's something you find tasty and you are hungry - there is nothing else to consider.

Quote Originally posted by Rem
    What is this 5 second rule of which you speak (TM)? DA Monkey and myself (welcome back DA M, BTW) live in a clean country vfull of natural dirt and clean animal by products. Whether we eat something is entirely dependant on our favourite foods, our level of hunger, our degree of inebriation etc. This is a matter of personal choice! We would never allow our freedoms to be restricted by some convention that assumes germs cannot move the 0.0001 of a millimetre it would require to colonise "food from floor" in anything less than 5 seconds. Bah I say. If it's something you find tasty and you are hungry - there is nothing else to consider.
    REM DA M: Doesn't food fall UP DOWN under?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It falls on the ground it goes in the trash. Period. My home brewing experiences have brought home to me just how ubiquitous microbes really are (good and bad)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    five second rule applies in most situations for me.

Remember:
    A little dirt won't hurt
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS bless it first!!!

God made dirt, so dirt don't hurt!!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    If anybody knew what happened behind the scenes in the food industry, I'm sure most people would be ok with it

Stories, stories, stories.

If it falls on the floor I'll pick it up and eat it after giving it a good shake. Hey if that guy can eat food out of the garbage dumpster, then it must be ok.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I don't have a time limit rule as much as I have an in-brain "Ad-Hoc" on-the-fly analysis of the floor compostion and food texture in my head. If the food is sticky or melty i.e. ice cream, pie filling, etc. trash it goes. If it is solid. like chicken, hamburger, french fries, etc. it just needs a little dusting.

If the base surface is grass, hardwood, carpet, visibly clean concrete, etc those solids will survive, if it is a gravely oil-stanied garage floor. it'll be pitched.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Totally depends on what floor it has fallen on. My own kitchen floor, or my mom's I'd probably eat it, no matter how long it sat there. In public places, however, no way. strangers have cooties!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Depends on how recently the floor was cleaned and where it landed on the floor. These days, most of the time I don't follow the five second rule... we have two cats and unless I just cleaned the floor, there is a good chance a cat hair will find it's way onto something.

Registered
    May 2003
    In our house, it's a three second rule. This seems to be an adequate compromise, since it is a proven fact that floor microbes travel at about ten inches per second, or thereabouts.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Oct 2006, 2:09 PM
  2. NHL Rule Changes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Sep 2005, 3:54 PM