Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Architecture and psychology

Architecture and psychology

Hi there everyone!

The way that the built space affect us: is it possible to control?

Is it possible for an architect to control the psychologically effects of the interactions between people and architecture? And even more...

I think that for each individual we can make a space to make him think and live better only because he interact with this space. This space could STIMULATE him to be more eficient, much stable, feel better, relax better and work better.

I think that the Psychology can and must help us do this and the architects must stop design spaces made for their own taste and minds and think about their needs.
    We (the architects) must put our skills and gifts work for the benefit of our clients.
    If you agree with me or don't, please reply to utavi@yahoo.com

One thing we architects often forget is how little architecture does actually impact on peoples lifes - I don't think we can 'control' people's moods through architecture (I'm a little worried about whether we should want to, certainly with relation to their domestic settings

I think what you are thinking of is a certain sense of ambiguity in architecure, becuase users attach their previous experiences to what they see and inhabit. To be able to address the different needs of every possible client, you couldn't possibly design a space that is stimulating to all people. Stimulation comes from interaction with ones space and the thoughts one posesses while in a space.

one more thing. people will more often than not, perform the opposite of what is 'expected'.

Colour, perspective, ease of movement and ease of use are the key points (sometimes making something hard to use, or hard to move in creates the mood you are looking for). Form follows function is the cliche. All of these things are well understood. A well designed courthouse or courtroom epitomizes them as does a good legislature, library, museum or playschool.

I think we can affect users mood in a positive way.

When you are talking about functionally clear buildings, its much easier to find the principles than in the case of commercial buildings.
    This is what interests me. When you design a building, where its function is not defined exactly, which principles do we follow?

Should we achieve a neutral appearance and leave space for individual designs of current customers?
    Wouldn't that house look like a supermarket shelf?

I see the way in creating the gentle soul of house from these ingredients:
    - giving it an original space (f.i. common atrium)
    - achieving harmony in this space
    - the individual commercial areas should look like containers (contained in the body of the building),
    but not like the space-creating elements

From exterior, it is more complicated, as you surely know
    (depends on neigbours, countryside, etc.)

Micholmes

architecture and Psychology are reflection of each other. and its the society that they both speak of. by society i mean culture , religon, practices, science, and etc. psychology effects spaces and there formation and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Sep 2010, 5:32 PM
  2. psychology of size
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 06 Oct 2005, 7:57 PM
  3. Psychology of driving vs non
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jul 2005, 2:56 PM