Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Yooper Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005

Home sick yooper

The U.P. is actually my adopted home. I lived there for 7 years while pursuing my education between full-time and part-time coursework. I left the U.P. 2 years ago and I really miss it. Now I live in the Baltimore/Washingin D.C. metro area. It was neccesary to leave the U.P. so I could make some head way in my career.

My plan is to go back there when the time is right. Planning jobs are few and far between there. Turnover in U.P. public sector planning positions is low. Usually those who get into a planning job in this region stay in that positon for years and years.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience on the U.P. and planning careers?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Upper Peninsula Related Info:

Steve Mariucci was released as the Coach of the Detroit Lions. His firing, in the middle of a season, is strange.....primarily because of the timing.

He is from the Italian north side neighborhood of Iron Mountain, MI. He attended Northern Michigan University (Go Wildcats!), probably setting an example that would later be followed at that same school, by a certain Stanfellow.

His neighborhood pal in Iron Mountain.....the Coach of the Michigan State Spartans basketball team......Tom Izzo.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005

Pictures from home

Check out these great photos from Marquette, Upper Peninsula, Michigan. Makes me homesick

http://www.nmu.edu/alumni/winterphotos.htm

Registered
    May 2003

Snow Depth Update

It may not be deep snow by Utah mountain standards, but it is still a hexx of a lot of the white stuff.....

Updated as of January 12, 2006:

13.3 inches in January

149.3 inches this season
    _____

So the rate is slowing, due to the warmer weather in the American midwest and Great Lakes. 149.3 by mid-January is still a lot of snow.

Location: Keweenaw Peninsula "Snow Thermometer", near Eagle Harbor.

Yooper Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Major & Record-Breaking News From The YooPee

I have some very important news to tell you about. This news is fresh from the annual Winter Carnival that is held in Houghton, MI, in the Upper Peninsula of the "Great Lakes State". Newsdate was February 11, 2006.....

Students at Michigan Tech have set three (3) new Guinness records:

World's Largest Snowball .....This snowball, rolled out on the football field, took more than one-hundred (100) people to create. It sets a new Guinness record, slushing in at 6.7 feet in diameter.

World's Largest Snowball Fight.....Four thousand (4000) people participated in this huge snowball fight, establishing a new Guinness record.

Most Snow Angels Made At One Time......Right after the record-setting snowball fight ended, the participants jumped on the ground and made four thousand (4000) snow angels. A new Guinness record.

I would LOVE to be in the Houghton bars after these events. Wow! And I thought the Super Bowl was something.

Bear @ The Library
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Survivor - Northern Michigan Edition

A friend of mine who lives in the northern portion of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan sent me this.....

The contestants start in Traverse City, travel over to Kalkaska and on to Grayling. Then they will head north to Gaylord, Mackinaw City, and Sault Ste. Marie. From there they will proceed west to Iron Mountain and Copper Harbor. Then they will head southeast and go through Escanaba. From there they will travel to St Ignace, cross back over the big Mackinac Bridge, and follow the coastline back to Traverse City.

Each contestant will drive a pink Volvo with California license plates. These vehicles will have a large bumper sticker that reads:

"I'm gay. I'm a Vegetarian. Beer is harmful to your health. Republicans suck. Hillary in 2008. Deer hunting is murder. I'm here to confiscate your guns."

The first one (1) to make ti back to Traverse City alive wins.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    A friend of mine who lives in the northern portion of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan sent me this.....

The contestants start in Traverse City, travel over to Kalkaska and on to Grayling. Then they will head north to Gaylord, Mackinaw City, and Sault Ste. Marie. From there they will proceed west to Iron Mountain and Copper Harbor. Then they will head southeast and go through Escanaba. From there they will travel to St Ignace, cross back over the big Mackinac Bridge, and follow the coastline back to Traverse City.

Each contestant will drive a pink Volvo with California license plates. These vehicles will have a large bumper sticker that reads:

"I'm gay. I'm a Vegetarian. Beer is harmful to your health. Republicans suck. Hillary in 2008. Deer hunting is murder. I'm here to confiscate your guns."

Bear
    Just a nit, but doesn't Da YuPee usually send a Democrat to the USHouse?

OTOH, I can CERTAINLY see that being a REAL 'Survivor' test in Da Nodern ElPee.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Just a nit, but doesn't Da YuPee usually send a Democrat to the USHouse?

OTOH, I can CERTAINLY see that being a REAL 'Survivor' test in Da Nodern ElPee.

Mike
    da UP congressman's distrct (Bart Stupak) goes down to west branch!

the north is pretty balanced polically; however I would not want to piss off a republican driving an excursion up there, they all have NRA stickers
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003

Early April 2006 Ice

It has been a warm Winter on the Great Lakes. The big lake freighters are already plowing through ice-free lakes, carrying their cargo (usually bulk ore, grain, coal, and stone). Some freighter captains have reported in from Lake Superior that they have never seen the big lake so ice-free this early in the season.

Biggest and thickest ice still on the Great Lakes?

Whitefish Bay, northwest of Sault Ste. Marie, still has thick ice. Icebreakers (probably the old "MACKINAW") have kept a channel open as the slow melt continues.

This Bear has reports from the Paradise, MI, area, that the big wind-driven ice flows have again stacked-up along the eastern shore of the Upper Peninsula's Whitefish Bay, near the mouth of the Taquamenon River.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Bear
    They would not make it off of the bridge...

The liberals up there are a liberal side of conservative.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2006

Marquette connection / memories

Do you remember such places as the Alibi, Snuffy's Saloon, Andy's Bar, Joe's Bar, the Pizzarena and other such memorable establishments? The Screened Image in Marquette has a line of retro tee shirts of those and other places. So if you went to NMU and did the bar scene a few (or many) years ago you can now get a souvenier of those places.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    FACT
    Upper Penninsula natives refer to themselves as "Yoopers". They refer to those of us "below the bridge" (Mackinac Bridge) as "trolls".
    I was born at Kincheloe AFB in Sou Sault Marie. Dad was discharged when I was a few weeks old. Guess that kinda makes me a Yooper

Registered
    May 2003
    Snuffy's is ringing a bell. I have been traveling to Marquette since the mid-1970's.....where was/is Snuffy's?

BTW.....welcome to Cyburbia, pat51.

A great place to begin posting.....the Ultimate Yooper Thread.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I've been to Prisque Isle, very pretty. Lake Superior is awsome, more like an ocean. We walked to the lighthouse and learned all about iron ore. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. My husband's family lives in Rock and Escanaba (he was born in Escanaba). The thing that got me, though, was having to wear a turtleneck in August 2002 to keep from freezing by the lake...and there were people in the water!!!
    My inlaws have a hunt camp near Rock on the Escanaba River, so we are planning to go back soon.

BTW, I'm from Germany, so the UP almost felt like home...
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc
    The thing that got me, though, was having to wear a turtleneck in August 2002 to keep from freezing by the lake...and there were people in the water!!!
    BTW, I'm from Germany, so the UP almost felt like home...
    This Bear makes it a point to always jump in Lake Superior, when I take my Summer vacations. Most years it is very cold.....and, er, ah...."humbling". There have been a couple years, though, that the lake was very pleasant.

Escanaba and that area have some nice beaches, on Lake Michigan. My favorite beach, though, is at Au Train, near Munising, on Lake Superior.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Snuffy's is ringing a bell. I have been traveling to Marquette since the mid-1970's.....where was/is Snuffy's?

BTW.....welcome to Cyburbia, pat51.

A great place to begin posting.....the Ultimate Yooper Thread.

Bear
    Snuffy's was located on County Road 550 (heading up to Big Bay). It was about 3 miles up on the right. Old building. Closed in the late 80's (I think). The local indian tribe purchased it and used it as a meeting place for a while. The roof caved in a number of years ago during a spring snow storm. The build is gone now and there is just an empty parking lot.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by pat51
    Snuffy's was located on County Road 550 (heading up to Big Bay). It was about 3 miles up on the right. Old building. Closed in the late 80's (I think). The local indian tribe purchased it and used it as a meeting place for a while. The roof caved in a number of years ago during a spring snow storm. The build is gone now and there is just an empty parking lot.
    Stone parking lot? Trees on both sides of the lot? Older building that set back from the road about 20-30 yards? Near a small bridge?

I think I was at that place, a couple wives ago, many years ago.

(We climb Sugar Loaf whenever in Marquette.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2003

Mouth of the Two Hearted River

Look's like the annual kidz camping trip will be at the state forest campground, at the mouth of the Two Hearted River. Not to be confused with Hemingway's Big Two Hearted River, which is really the Fox.

June 15th, will the black flies drive us nuts???
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Upper Peninsula Related Info:

Steve Mariucci was released as the Coach of the Detroit Lions. His firing, in the middle of a season, is strange.....primarily because of the timing.

He is from the Italian north side neighborhood of Iron Mountain, MI. He attended Northern Michigan University (Go Wildcats!), probably setting an example that would later be followed at that same school, by a certain Stanfellow.

Bear
    You saying that I am going to get fired mid season?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Stone parking lot? Trees on both sides of the lot? Older building that set back from the road about 20-30 yards? Near a small bridge?

I think I was at that place, a couple wives ago, many years ago.

(We climb Sugar Loaf whenever in Marquette.)

Bear
    That would be the place. But a packed gravel parking lot (if that is what you mean by stone). It also used to have exotic dancers in the late 70's.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Great Promo Article from the Indy Star:

Beyond the bridge
    Journey across the Mackinac Bridge to discover the wonders of Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...604230345/1085

Check out their list of places to visit:
    The Soo Locks
    Whitefish Point
    Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
    Seney Wildlife Refuge
    Oswald's Bear Ranch
    The lighthouses
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Found this very interesting map:

Ecologically Significant Sites to Visit in the Straits Region of Michigan

So who has been to any of these spots ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Found this very interesting map:

Ecologically Significant Sites to Visit in the Straits Region of Michigan

So who has been to any of these spots ?
    My home computer struggled with the PDF file. I usually can grab PDF's with no problem. So, I read the info on the office computer, at the workplace.

This Bear has been a regular visitor to some of the places mentioned.....

Wilderness Park.....This beautiful park is located about ten miles west of Mackinaw City, at the northwestern tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan. It has some beautiful sandy beaches, great hiking trails (with some elevation), some swamplands (in the interior), and is a great place to use as a home base when exploring the Straits Of Mackinac area.

We have camped there often, usually with great beachfront sites. The beaches are very popular with kite flying enthusiasts, too. The bars in Mackinaw City are also very good.....especially The Keyhole.

If you travel around the perimeter road to the southern edge of the park there is a great beach area, with small dunes. This area is a jumping-off point for many beach walkers who stroll (sans clothing) along the water's edge, in the undeveloped and quieter areas of the park.

The Snows.....The Les Cheneaux area, northeast of the Straits of Mackinac, has been called "The Snows" and "Michigan's Thousand Islands" (even though there are a lot less than a thousand in this area of northern Lake Huron). All of the little islands and peninsulas are filled with cottages and resorts. There are a couple small towns that cater to the travelers, providing those things we need.....grub and beer.

The islands provide good shelter for smaller boats and the fishery is outstanding. I have spent a lot of time in this area, enjoying events such as the Classic Boat Show and throwing down a few at the tavern next to the Drummond Island Ferry. There is some public land in this area, good for beach walking, but there is also a lot of private development.

Hiawatha Dunes.....I have been a regular camper at the Lake Michigan Campground and at Brevort Lake Campground, both within the area of the big and fun Hiawatha Dunes. The swimming here, in Lake Michigan, is wonderful. Beautiful clean water, soft sandy bottom, huge waves that are great fun for body surfing when the wind is southwest strong. When I camp here I get to use the lake for a morning wake-up....because the National Forest Campgrounds do not have showers. No matter what the weather, I force myself into the water! Get's your blood moving, for sure.

When you travel west from St. Ignace on U.S. 2, after crossing the Straits of Mackinac on the "Big Mac" bridge, you drive past miles and miles of sandy beach, with entire long stretches having great area to just pull off to the side of the road and jump in the water. On hot Summer days you will pass hundreds of vehicles along this stretch.....and all of the travelers are down on the beach.

Big Knob Campground.....For years I have been a regular camper at the Big Knob Campground. It is a State Forest Campground, so the only facilities are outhouses. The marked camping spots, very cheap, are quite large. Most of the sites at Big Knob are on the water, although they are on the inside of a wooded ridge. The road that goes back to Big Knob is about 7-miles long, a twisting and elevation-changing dirt and stone road, carving its' way to the lake. We have seen black bear along the road, usually in the middle of the night.

This is a great place for walking the beach. If you walk east, you will eventually stroll past some huge vacation homes. It's better to stroll west.....you can walk forever and not pass any homes or anything.....except sandy beach, trees almost to the water's edge, small trout streams that empty into Lake Michigan.

As mentioned in another thread, one year this Bear did a long beach walk, by myself, with just a towel on my head, a walking stick, and a six-pack of Rolling Rock. It was a great walk.....but I sun-burned my butt on the return trip and had tdo endure a lot of pain on a long drive home the next day.

You have already guessed that I am not one to investigate rocks, flora, fauna, etc. I do investigate local taverns, though. Within a short drive of the U.S. 2 turnoff for the Big Knob Road are great bars.....Ean's Corner, a couple bars in Engadine, Shirley's Cove in Naubinaway, and a couple bars in Curtis.

One of my best-ever views of the Northern Lights took place at 3:00 AM on the beach at Big Knob, early in September, back a few years ago.
    _____

Yes, JNA, the area around The Straits of Mackinac is a great area.

EcoBear Signifcant
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

More Trivia

Just in case you didn't know.....

Remember those park and recreation swing-sets that we played on as kids? They had the wooden boards for seats on the swing-sets?

Most of the swing-set seats for America's playgrounds in the years 1940-1980 came from a little Upper Peninsula town called Nahma, located on Big Bay De Noc.
    _____

If you are a regular reader of National Geographic you should know that the glossy and very nice paper that the magazine is printed on generally comes from special pulpwoods from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Bear @ Bear Butt Tavern, Eckerman, MI
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Sticky & Patchy Trivia

Here's some tidbits about products from Munising's paper plant, located on the shores of Lake Superior.....

The little labels that are on Chiquita bananas are made in that facility. The leather-like labels on the back of Levis Jeans are manufactured in that plant.

About 300 people work in the plant.

Just up the road, and up the very steep hill, are a couple hardwood plants that produce veneers and specialty woods. These plants employ a couple hundred total.

I always find it interesting that manufacturing can co-exist with beautiful scenery. It does, here in Munising.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Ultimate Gun Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 11 Oct 2011, 12:32 PM
  2. The Ultimate TV Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33