Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Yooper Thread

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hey Bear, the film we starred in for the Northern Michigan Tourist Board made it to you tube. We are about 3 minutes in. Boy did I look scruffy.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Marquette

Check out this promo film for Marquette. Obviously a planner helped write the script.

BTW - My planned retirement city.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PGflB8xXtw
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2010

I miss the UP!

I lived in both Munising and Marquette, I worked for the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore while in college, I was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB near Marquette, and I worked for UP Engineers and Architects in the Marquette office. My grandpa was born on Drummond Island in which we still have family land there.

I am in Japan now but always have fond memories of "home".

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Registered
    May 2003
    Interesting "fight" going on in the Huron Mountains, north of Marquette. Big name mining company, armed with permits to begin mining, in a potential stand-off with Native Americans. Calm, so far.....but this could get ugly.

See attached.

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5006

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    FACT
    The Keweenaw Peninsula was the largest producer of cooper in the world, all through the late 1800's and on into the early 1900's. Many deep mines dotted the rough (nearly-mountain-like) Keweenaw terrain and a number of large "company" towns sprang up to house all of the miners.

Calumet was one (1) of those cities. Originally called Red Jacket, it was home to over 20,000 people (and is now less than 1000). The city was filled with many taverns (over 70) and social venues......for each different ethnic group.
    Oh, how happy am I to see posts about my home turf, the Copper Country! Thank you for sharing all the facts and stories. I am a native of Calumet, which still houses its early 20th century charm, from beautiful sandstone architecture to roughneck pub brawls... Most of my life I've lived in the Keweenaw, and it is one of the most beautiful places I have seen to date. A rare region full of public domain!

I never thought in a million years I would be living in Texas, but here I am--still somewhat fresh out of grad school, and looking for that ever-elusive planning job. The Lone Star State has been kind so far, but I definitely plan to move back closer to home in the future (NOTE: currently searching for leads from Chicago to Milwaukee, Madison to Minneapolis).

This economy's a beauty, eh?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    In case I haven't said it a gazillion times, I *love* the UP and get up there a handful of times a year to see my sister

Taking the kiddo and going to Curtis over Memorial Weekend to camp for a long weekend. Meeting my mom and dad, and my sister and her family there and can't wait! Actually staying in a cabin since tent camping in 50 degree weather (and three kids under the age of 6) might be interesting.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by GreatLakesGirl View post

This economy's a beauty, eh?
    I think this thread has been infiltrated by a Canadian, eh?

Registered
    May 2003

Paper Mill News

Nice news from Verso Paper Corporation. At their Quinnesec, MI, mill they will be meeting their energy needs via a biomass renewable energy project. The $43 million project will allow the facility (located near Iron Mountain) to significantly reduce its' carbon footprint and cut costs. Nice.

Bear (Yooper At Heart)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

LSD, Etc.

The water temperatures in Lake Superior may reach their all-time high (since official readings started) this summer. Due to a mild winter and above-normal temperatures in spring and early summer the giant lake is already considerably warmer than most years. August is usually when the lake temp peaks.

Cyburbian michaelskis, a Yooper and one who attended Northern Michigan University (literally on the Lake Superior shore), refers to the effect that the cold water has on male anatomy, when they jump in to the normally frigid waters. He called it "LSD".

This Bear does remember a year (mid-1980s) when the Lake Superior water was very warm. We had a gang camped at a desolate area west of Whitefish Point, accessible via 4-wheel drive only. The water was great, there was no LSD, we played in the inland ocean for hours. Alcohol was involved.

Note: Boony beaches like this......very obvious when LSD is involved. Nudity was involved.

Attachment is from the Mining Journal, Marquette. But the byline is from the western end of the lake, a tad shallower than Marquette and eastward.

Bear

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5006
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

The Duke & The YooPee

Just in case you didn't know.....Duke Ellington was in the classic 1950's film Anatomy of a Murder, filmed in the Upper Peninsula. The tavern scenes were filmed at a couple of bars just north of Marquette (in Big Bay) and at a bar about 30 miles west of Marquette (Mount Shasta). I believe the attachment here is from Mount Shasta.

In addition to the great performances by an all-star cast, the critics loved the jazz provided by The Duke as it wound its' way through the film.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKp1...eature=related
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Deep Snow

This morning's Weather Channel site has an attachment for "The 10 Snowiest Cities". Not surprisingly, Michigan's Upper Peninsula has two cities on the list:

Ironwood #10
    164.6 inches average/year

Hancock #3
    218.0 inches average/year

Number 2 is Boonville, NY (220.5)
    Number 1 is Valdez, AK (297.7)

Start shoveling.....
    .....the roof.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

President Going To Marquette

Next week President Omaba is going to be in Marquette. His focus on this trip will be recognizing Marquette as a front-runner in wireless technology. My guess is that any scheduled speech would take place at the Yooper Dome, the giant wooden arena on the campus of Northern Michigan University.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Lived in Munising, worked for Pictured Rocks National Park, Stationed at KI Sawyer AFB in Gwinn, worked for UP Engineers and Architects and we have a family cabin on Drummond Island....... I miss the UP .... I really liked living in Marquette.

Registered
    May 2003

Wolf Kills

It is illegal to kill a wolf, unless you are protecting a human. If that wolf is attacking your dog or your livestock, you cannot kill it. This is an issue in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. And it is getting more press.

There have been at least six wolf killings recently in the U.P. Most are in the area northwest of Paradise, MI. This is an area where I have oft-camped, always in a tent. Eeek!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Howl!

It appears that the Grey Wolf will be taken off the endangered species list. In the Upper Peninsula there are somewhere between 1000 and 2000 of these critters. There are about 4000 in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. About half that number are in northern Minnesota.

The entire western United States has about 2000.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2011
    I'm floored that this thread spans five years.

My family is from the western part of the UP and we still own the 400 acres that used to be the family homestead. Wolves haven't been nearly as much a problem for land management for us as beaver damming up the spring that fed water to the house.

Cheers Bear. Ima go read the rest of this thread...

Registered
    May 2003

Yooper Mining Returns

Interesting article in this morning's Free Press that focuses on the resurrgence of mining in the Upper Peninsula. The price of metals that are accessible in the Yoopee, northern Wisconsin, and Minnesota's Arrowhead is a primary reason for these mines to re-open or jump-start. These metals are oft-used in many of the things we use (and take for granted).

http://www.freep.com/article/2011112...text|FRONTPAGE

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There is a an active proposal to develop a new iron ore mine in, of all places, Iron County, WI that has the state''s enviro-wacko crowd all in a snot-snit, too. I'm hoping that cooler heads can prevail on this one as that area does need the private-sector economic activity and this deposit could well last for over a century before it is all played out.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    A few years ago, the wife and I drove through palmer and she noted how everything had a red tint to it. If you go to Google Maps, and search Palmer Michigan, it becomes very obvious at how much iron or dust is kicked up, and how much is just naturally sitting on the surface.

On a side note, we are looking forward to a wonderful Christmas up there. We are going to take Mini-skis skiing in Marquette on the same hill that I learned to ski, while the wife hangs out next to the fireplace in the lodge drinking a hot coco. Something about not skiing when she is 6 months pregnant.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2003

YooPee On Fire!

Couple major wildfires in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The larger fire is called "The Duck Lake Fire". I have oft-camped in the area now in flames, including at Pike Lake, now under evacuation orders. Friends of mine who have a cottage on the Lake Superior shore, just north of Paradise, report that they can see the smoke from their place and there is some preliminary prep work being done in case of a need to evacuate visitor-enhanced Paradise. The smaller fire is in the Seney Wildlife Refuge and is nearly now contained.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Duck Lake Fire Pics

Here are some pics from the expanding Duck Lake fire. Scary stuff.

Bear

http://interactives.fox11online.com/...per-peninsula/
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Bear

State DNR web report: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...9122--,00.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Bear

Well, fire is a very necessary part of the natural ecosystem in that area and it was started by nature (lightning strike). The best that we humans can do is to design our lives and properties to accommodate it.

I seriously worry that our past century-plus of aggressively fighting northwoods wildfires could ultimately, someday, result in another widespread forest firestorm on the lines of what blew through the Peshtigo, WI area in October of 1871.

Mike

Registered
    May 2003
    Believe the Peshtigo Fire happened on the same day that Chicago's own Mrs. O'Leary and her kick-ass cow decided to start the inferno. And, I think some other places in the Great Lakes all had major fires on the same day.
    _____

The small amounts of rain in the eastern Upper Peninsula helped slow the Duck Lake fire.....somewhat. Part of what they call "containment" is the mileage along Lake Superior. The fire also jumped one of the stone roads, #500 I think. Now they are reporting that a significant number of structures are destroyed, including a lodge where I have purchased fishing bait. Right now the fire is about 6-8 miles west of one of the most endangered lighthouses in the states, the beautiful light at Crisp Point. The only road to the lighthouse (a winding dirt 2-track that twists and turns through the jack pine forest) starts at Little Lake, a place that has been hit by the fire. During warmer months each week has a different caretaker at the Crisp Point lighthouse, most often folks from the society to save that light. Me wonders if those folks abandoned their post or are "waiting it out" in hopes that the fire doesn't roam that far east. They could walk out by going east on the wide beach.....although it would be a long walk to the former life-saving station ghost town of Vermillion.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Ultimate Gun Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 11 Oct 2011, 12:32 PM
  2. The Ultimate TV Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33